Washington, DC Baseball Nickname

Jaybird

If the Washington, DC area has Major League Baseball Again, What Should the Team be Called?  

236 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It isn't too bad to name them "Washington Grays".

We can make justice with the legendary history of the Negroes Leagues (like KC Royals remembering the old KC Monarchs) and there is a matter of "measure" with the words: "Washington" is too long and "Grays" is short.

So add this one with that one and we have a balanceable nickname. B)

pennants.png

It's great to be young and a Giant! - Larry Doyle

It isn't too bad to name them "Washington Grays".

We can make justice with the legendary history of the Negroes Leagues (like KC Royals remembering the old KC Monarchs) and there is a matter of "measure" with the words: "Washington" is too long and "Grays" is short.

So add this one with that one and we have a balanceable nickname. B)

Ok.

Gray Monuments?

Gray Senators?

Gray Nationals?

Gray Dragons?

What about the Washington Freedom? It would fit into Washington's common theme, and a creative logo could be made.

Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% about how you react to it.
App State Mountaineers / Alabama Crimson Tide / Atlanta Braves / New York Jets / Atlanta Hawks
"If you believe in yourself and have dedication and pride - and never quit, you'll be a winner. The price of victory is high but so are the rewards." [Bear Bryant]
Redmond Rampage

i like washington grays. its not any more bland then cincinnati reds.

yeah but the name Reds is a shortend name for Red Stockings/ Redlegs. How did the H. Grays get their name? was it short for something?

Signature intentionally left blank

What about the Washington Freedom? It would fit into Washington's common theme, and a creative logo could be made.

No, that was the name of the WUSA team.

VmWIn6B.png

Bud Selig wants the team to be called the Senators. The Washington Baseball Club wants the team to be called the Senators. The entire Washington area (via the results of an ongoing Washington Post poll) wants the team to be called the Senators.

What exactly is there to debate here?

Bud Selig wants the team to be called the Senators. The Washington Baseball Club wants the team to be called the Senators. The entire Washington area (via the results of an ongoing Washington Post poll) wants the team to be called the Senators.

What exactly is there to debate here?

Whether or not the Texas Rangers will give up the rights to the Senators name, that's what.

oakqb4.jpg

Whether or not the Texas Rangers will give up the rights to the Senators name, that's what.

Seems like there's a lot of bloviating going on here, and about more than just that. Seven pages worth, in fact.

If Selig wants the team to be called Senators, you know that he's going to find a way to get Hicks to settle on the name.

If Selig wants the team to be called Senators, you know that he's going to find a way to get Hicks to settle on the name.

i havnt seen anything that has said he wants the team to be called the senators. any body whant to prove that he does?

i havnt seen anything that has said he wants the team to be called the senators. any body whant to prove that he does?

"If the league does choose the name, Selig offered some insight into his preference:

"I'm a traditionalist and a history buff, as everyone knows, and I came up [during the era of] the Washington Senators -- or the Nats, as they used to call them in those days," Selig said."

Washington Post - Saturday, October 2nd

What good is the Senators nickname to the Rangers????? They are the Rangers not the Senators. I don't get the whole deal that they own that name. What good does it make them? I would understand it if it were something like the Oilers name being retired in the NFL and the Texans wanted to be named that, now THAT would be different.

Well, here's my Grays Concept. Not as great as I intended, I pretty much just took the old uniforms and jazzed it up slightly, adding an outline and font numbers. I also made a tribute to Josh Gibson, perhaps the greatest Home Run hitter of all time on the uniform, and in the primary logo. These would be an everlasting tribute in the design in my mind. They could also retire his number 20, as well as Expos, and Washington D.C. numbers. It could be alot, but a tribute to the Expos players and the old D.C. Players, including Gibson would be great.

washgreys.gif

Archived