The number 11

Grish

Any one know if there is a reason that the wide receivers in this year's NFL draft decided to wear the same number? 11

More specifically Reggie Williams, Roy Williams, and Larry Fitzgerald. I know they all wore number 1 in college.

Is there anything more to it?fitzactiontwo.jpg

83226.jpg

68364.jpg

"Try not to have a good time ... This is supposed to be educational."

- Charles Schulz

viks.jpg

Probably a combination of 1 being their # in college and this being the first year WR's don't have to Keyshawn it to get a non-80's number.

Or maybe it's a tribute to Ray Bourque :D

snappers_sig.gif

Dubya's thoughts on "terrorist" nations: "They never stop thinking of new ways to harm our country and our people, and neither do we."

"Probably a combination of 1 being their # in college and this being the first year WR's don't have to Keyshawn it to get a non-80's number.

"Or maybe it's a tribute to Ray Bourque."  :D

:lol:

ROTFLMMFAO!

"I better go take a long walk off a short pier or something."

Some people on this bolard have told me to do just that.

My "Ron Mexico" alias is "Jon Tobago".

• 2 weeks later...
See now evern KWII is using number 11..

Not by choice, as others have posted:

Now that Kellen Winslow Jr. is in camp, there is another matter to be negotiated. Winslow wants to wear No. 80 with the Browns, the same number his Hall of Famer father wore. But that number has belonged to fellow tight end Aaron Shea for the past four seasons. ''We're still in negotiations, but I'm happy with 11 (his training camp number),'' Winslow said. ''I like it, but I'm looking to get 80.''

Shea joked with reporters when asked about it, especially when one suggested he should hire Kevin Poston, Winslow's agent, to handle the deal. "How much did he get to sign, $16 million?'' Shea asked. "I guess the price just went up.''

"If things have gone wrong, I'm talking to myself, and you've got a wet towel wrapped around your head."

...this being the first year WR's don't have to Keyshawn it to get a non-80's number....

When did this happen? I missed it. Did the NFL open 10-19 for receivers now also instead of just 80-89. Probably a good idea, but it's quite a spead. Is this "grandfathered' in, or can any current receiver drop down to a teen if they want? Completely missed the boat on this one, and a Google news search turned up nothing...

Probably a combination of 1 being their # in college and this being the first year WR's don't have to Keyshawn it to get a non-80's number.

Or maybe it's a tribute to Ray Bourque  :D

Didn't he wear No. 77?

only after having to double his old number, due to retiring espo's #7...

hence, double their old college number... #1.

This must be a season assignment for some, because the team links are selling their jersey as 11...

As for the NFL vs College, in the old days of the NFL you could see number 60 at qb or 20 on the line. There was no number assignments to positions, as they do now.

I know the Cardinals went to using numbers outside of the 80's last year because of the number of injuries at wr.

I just thought it was weird all these guys are going with 11....

"Try not to have a good time ... This is supposed to be educational."

- Charles Schulz

viks.jpg

that's my biggest complaint with the NFL... i don't understand the real reasoning for restricting what numbers a player can wear.

if willis wants to wear #2, let him.. .don't force him to wear 21. if larry fitz wants #1, don't make him double it. if jevon wants to wear a number in the 40's, let him! what's it going to hurt?

CFL and NCAA don't put these restrictions, and it's not like they're run into any problems because of it.

Archived