PayPal Sues Pandora Over New Logo

LAWeaver

18 hours ago, CRichardson said:

It does that because Venmo withdraws from your checking account immediately to pay for transactions. It's a checkbook within an app.

It should only need routing and account number, then verify via the small deposits like PayPal does.  Nothing, let alone a payment system, should ever ask for a password to another site.  That's absolutely freaking insane.

11 hours ago, Sec19Row53 said:

Are you totally sure about that? I was paid via PayPal for game operations for an indoor football team, and PayPal took their cut of the fee I was paid.

For that reason, the only time I use it is for ebay transactions. If I'm going to get paid, I want the full amount I'm due (unless I have no choice, such as ebay).

Yeah as someone mentioned, if they select "friends or family", then it's free.  Otherwise the seller (or recipient) picks up the fee.  I run a softball team and all of our payments (both to me from players for funding the team, and from me to league / referees) are handled via paypal.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

23 hours ago, BringBackTheVet said:

It should only need routing and account number, then verify via the small deposits like PayPal does. Nothing, let alone a payment system, should ever ask for a password to another site. That's absolutely freaking insane.

Agreed.  There's no way I'm handing that over to a third-party app.  PayPal does just fine without it. 

On 5/25/2017 at 8:14 PM, BringBackTheVet said:

It should only need routing and account number, then verify via the small deposits like PayPal does.  Nothing, let alone a payment system, should ever ask for a password to another site.  That's absolutely freaking insane.

It gives you the option of one or the other. You can "verify" your account by using Rtg/Acct or by using your online bank login information. I use a small credit union for my checking so it didn't give me the option of using login info; I had to use Rtg/Acct. But if it did, I guess I don't see it as a big deal unless you have one set of username and password for everything. I can't even get my full account number through my online banking website so unless they want to pay my bills for me...

And I think you asked the question before of why people choose venmo over paypal - there is a silly social aspect to venmo in that you can leave messages for what the payment was for then others can see that message (not the amount of the payment). I don't really care about that part of it (although the messages do get creative with emojis and innuendo), I just find it easier to use as more people I know use venmo over paypal.

73, 77, 81, 83, 90, 06

29, 30, 31, 36, 39, 44, 61, 62, 65, 66, 67, 96, 10

On 5/24/2017 at 9:08 PM, BringBackTheVet said:

Why do people choose Venmo over PayPal when PayPal does what it does very well and is industry standard?

At one point when I attempted to try out Venmo, it asked me for my banking username and password - AYFKM?  Maybe because I'm in information security, but that's simply absurd.  I actually read it multiple times to make sure I wasn't misunderstanding what it was asking for, because it seemed so crazy.

In Venmo there's a feed of all your friends transactions, leading to a constant stream of suggestive emojis. It's really enthralling. 

concepts: washington football (2017) ... nfl (2013) ... yikes

potd 10/20/12

10 hours ago, MiK said:

I can't even get my full account number through my online banking website so unless they want to pay my bills for me...

What about pictures of checks of yours that have been cashed by others?

10 hours ago, DeFrank said:

In Venmo there's a feed of all your friends transactions, leading to a constant stream of suggestive emojis. It's really enthralling. 

I don't want people to know what transactions I'm making.  That's absolutely ridiculous that a company would post that stuff, and it's amazing to me that people have so little regard for their privacy that they'd allow it.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

8 hours ago, Cosmic said:

What about pictures of checks of yours that have been cashed by others?

Couldn't even tell you the last time I wrote out a physical check.

8 hours ago, BringBackTheVet said:

I don't want people to know what transactions I'm making.  That's absolutely ridiculous that a company would post that stuff, and it's amazing to me that people have so little regard for their privacy that they'd allow it.

The transaction details are "MiK paid BringBackTheVet" and then the personalized message if one is composed. That's it.

73, 77, 81, 83, 90, 06

29, 30, 31, 36, 39, 44, 61, 62, 65, 66, 67, 96, 10

18 hours ago, Kaz said:

That is still sus as all hell, and I'm baffled that anyone would be okay with sharing that kind of info publicly.

Everyone I go to college with uses Venmo, I've never heard of anyone using SquareCash or PayPal or anything else to pay each other back electronically. It's completely the norm for people my age/in my "world."

concepts: washington football (2017) ... nfl (2013) ... yikes

potd 10/20/12

• 11 months later...

Archived