NLL Adds Two for 2020, Logos Unveiled

Brian in Boston

It looks as though the Halifax-based NLL team has settled upon an identity.

While Atlantic Highlanders and Halifax Highlanders are still registered for trademark protection, Halifax Privateers is now listed as "DEAD" with the USPTO. Meanwhile, the National Lacrosse League filed the name Halifax Thunderbirds with the USPTO on January 16th, along with the following logo:

fGd5WX4m.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

National Lacrosse League expansion franchises in Halifax, Nova Scotia and Uniondale, New York have officially unveiled their brand identities. The teams will be known as the Halifax Thunderbirds and the New York Riptide

WvovqRem.jpg

"Naming a team is a very difficult process with numerous variables and options to consider. However, from the very beginning, we wanted to find a name that embraced the territory within which we will be playing, by acknowledging and paying respect to the First Nation peoples and Military connections of the region we call home. Thunderbirds delivers that all on both fronts."

- Chris Bell, Chief Business Officer, Halifax Thunderbirds

cvkbyR1m.jpg
"The fans spoke, and the overwhelming choice was New York Riptide. We are excited to give the greatest lacrosse fans in the world a fresh, new brand for professional lacrosse. The name Riptide signifies the unbridled strength of ocean currents, an unstoppable force of nature inextricably linked with Long Island."

- Gary Fuhrman, Managing Partner at GF Capital and Board Member of GF Sports 

1 hour ago, Brian in Boston said:

National Lacrosse League expansion franchises in Halifax, Nova Scotia and Uniondale, New York have officially unveiled their brand identities. The teams will be known as the Halifax Thunderbirds and the New York Riptide

WvovqRem.jpg

"Naming a team is a very difficult process with numerous variables and options to consider. However, from the very beginning, we wanted to find a name that embraced the territory within which we will be playing, by acknowledging and paying respect to the First Nation peoples and Military connections of the region we call home. Thunderbirds delivers that all on both fronts."

- Chris Bell, Chief Business Officer, Halifax Thunderbirds

cvkbyR1m.jpg
"The fans spoke, and the overwhelming choice was New York Riptide. We are excited to give the greatest lacrosse fans in the world a fresh, new brand for professional lacrosse. The name Riptide signifies the unbridled strength of ocean currents, an unstoppable force of nature inextricably linked with Long Island."

- Gary Fuhrman, Managing Partner at GF Capital and Board Member of GF Sports 

Horrible name for a New York team. 

1 hour ago, njdevs7 said:

Long Island Riptide would probably would have made more sense 

Teams that play in Uniondale are still New York City-area teams. Therefore, New York Titans, New York Raiders, New York "Whatevers" is the way to go. It's no different than New York City-area football teams playing in suburban East Rutherford, NJ.

7 minutes ago, VancouverFan69 said:

Teams that play in Uniondale are still New York City-area teams. Therefore, New York Titans, New York Raiders, New York "Whatevers" is the way to go. It's no different than New York City-area football teams playing in suburban East Rutherford, NJ.

I live in the area. Wouldn't necessarily agree. The Islanders team/identity is not New York City, its clearly Long Island. Completely understand the appeal behind using "New York" as the team though. I don't blame them. 

4 minutes ago, VancouverFan69 said:

I would imagine though, that because lacrosse is such a niche sport, most of the fan interest in such a team would be overwhelmingly in the Long Island suburbs.

35 minutes ago, njdevs7 said:

I live in the area. Wouldn't necessarily agree. The Islanders team/identity is not New York City, its clearly Long Island. Completely understand the appeal behind using "New York" as the team though. I don't blame them. 

I used to live in New York. Uniondale is as much a part of the NYC metropolitan area as East Rutherford. The Islanders' identity is their team name because they play on "Long Island" but they are NYC's other team besides the Rangers. Furthermore, Queens and Brooklyn are physically part of Long Island as well. The Capitals used to play in Landover, Maryland. Now, the Redskins play there. Both the Caps and Redskins are Washington, DC teams.

2 minutes ago, VancouverFan69 said:

I used to live in New York. Uniondale is as much a part of the NYC metropolitan area as East Rutherford. The Islanders' identity is their team name because they play on "Long Island" but they are NYC's other team besides the Rangers. Furthermore, Queens and Brooklyn are physically part of Long Island as well. The Capitals used to play in Landover, Maryland. Now, the Redskins play there. Both the Caps and Redskins are Washington, DC teams.

Yea, my original point was just more about the team name, not proximity to the city. The "Riptide" nickname makes more sense for a Long Island / shore themed team than a New York City themed team.

1 hour ago, njdevs7 said:

Yea, my original point was just more about the team name, not proximity to the city. The "Riptide" nickname makes more sense for a Long Island / shore themed team than a New York City themed team.

Names like Titans or Raiders can work for a New York team, either based in Uniondale or Manhattan. Better to market the team on the New York-area market than just limit itself to only the Nassau County market and still use Islanders colours, which are also the colours of the NYC flag.

On 2/17/2019 at 5:08 PM, VancouverFan69 said:

Horrible name for a New York team

Or for any team of adults. This singular name trend is one that is so overdue for death. (That said, I will admit that "Birmingham Iron" is not so bad.)

On 2/17/2019 at 5:53 PM, njdevs7 said:

Long Island Riptide would probably would have made more sense 

Yes, it would. For some reason that mitigates (though does not completely eliminate) the terribleness of the singular name.

On 2/17/2019 at 7:16 PM, VancouverFan69 said:

On 2/17/2019 at 7:27 PM, njdevs7 said:

I live in the area. Wouldn't necessarily agree. The Islanders team/identity is not New York City, its clearly Long Island. 

This is correct. The Islanders' identity is purely Long Island; this identity is defined in strong contrast to New York City. Some support for the Islanders can be found in eastern Queens (as I discovered to my great annoyance while growing up there with a burgeoning identity as a proud New Yorker); but it is entirely absent elsewhere in the City.  This is what makes the team's presence in the Barclays Center so uncomfortable.

Yes, from a geographical standpoint, Brooklyn and Queens are located on Long Island.  And for a long time the geographical meaning of "Long Island" was the only meaning. The American war for independence had a Battle of Long Island that was fought in Brooklyn; the city of Long Island City was established in Queens in the 1870s; Long Island University was founded in Brooklyn in the 1920s.  As late as the 1950s, people would routinely refer to  "Jamaica, L.I."  and  "Flushing, L.I."  But that began to change in the 1960s.

As a result of federal policies that hurt the interests of cities,  people of means began to move en masse out to the suburbs; and there occurred an emergence in American society of a distinctly "suburban" identity that was openly contemptuous of cities, which were regarded as dirty and dangerous places to be avoided. 

It was in this context that the term "Long Island" acquired a separate meaning — a socio-political one rather than a geographical one. Since the late 1960s, the term has referred exclusively to Nassau and Suffolk counties. Indeed, the map in the logo that the Islanders have used since their inception in 1972 shows only those two counties, and not Brooklyn and Queens (which has the remarkable result of the logo excluding the place where the team plays its home games).

The Islanders may use the locality name "New York"; but their brand identity is "Long Island as opposed to New York City", just as the Devils' brand identity is "New Jersey as opposed to New York City".

On 2/17/2019 at 7:27 PM, njdevs7 said:

Completely understand the appeal behind [the NLL team] using "New York" as the team though. I don't blame them. 

The assumption is that the use of the name "New York" will make the team and the league look more prestigious, and will allow for greater advertising and broadcast revenues.

On 2/17/2019 at 9:22 PM, VancouverFan69 said:

Better to market the team on the New York-area market than just limit itself to only the Nassau County market and still use Islanders colours, which are also the colours of the NYC flag.

Blue and orange are also the colours of the Nassau County flag. And Nassau makes an even greater use of these colours than New York City does, as the Nassau police cars are adorned with blue and orange stripes.

On 2/17/2019 at 7:27 PM, NicDB said:

I would imagine though, that because lacrosse is such a niche sport, most of the fan interest in such a team would be overwhelmingly in the Long Island suburbs.

Exactly. And this is why the NLL is making a mistake here. The NHL might have had to use "New York"; but the NLL, which is not in the running for any national TV contracts, would be better off with "Long Island". That naming would give the new team a better chance of connecting with its core audience.

Likewise, the owners of the MLL's Long Island Lizards, who play at Mitchel Field near the Nassau Coliseum, gained nothing when the team's owners (including lacrosse and football legend Jim Brown) changed its name to "New York Lizards". I mean, the New York Lizards' logo is great; I like wearing the hat. But there was no good reason to de-emphasise the fact that it is a Long Island team whose fans come overwhelmingly from Long Island, as opposed to from New York City. 

This new NLL team has gone down the same erroneous path as the MLL team, but without the MLL team's good nickname and cool logo.

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

For some reason, Halifax feels like it should always have really cool logos for its teams, Nova Scotia being such a quaint and unique little part of North America, but time after time they fall short. 

I appreciate the boldness of using the Fishsticks palette for a Nassau Coliseum tenant.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Archived