Rite of Spring 2019: The Chase for the Stanley Cup

buzzcut

5 minutes ago, SFGiants58 said:

It's the sports version of those whiny geek podcasts/YouTube shows (e.g., Geeks and Gamers, Collider, etc.), except without the outright misogyny. It's amazing how much the "jocks" share in common with the "nerds."

In this day in age, the Jocks are the Nerds. 

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, Brass said:

You've hit the nail on the head, though. Some of the most vocal fans are the ones on the radio. Dale Arnold is probably the saving grace when it comes to Boston area sports talk. Level-headed, smart, and not trying their darndest to play some sort of PG shock jock, which most of the morning and afternoon guys fall into. Another show, Mustard & Johnson is pretty good, but they're regulated to weekend duty only.

I've said it before, but sports talk radio in itself just stinks. Danny Picard here is the king of ending everything with "WELL WE'LL JUST HAVE TO SEE HAPPENS NOW WON'T WE?!" Of course we will, because we don't play.

Agreed.  Sports talk radio is pretty brutal to listen to.  the morning show on 105.7 The Fan here in Baltimore is usually at their best and funniest when they talk about non-sports subjects.  And sports radio callers offer some of the dumbest, hairbrained opinions imaginable. Kramerica's point about non-music radio stations being avoided is valid and a piece of advice that needs to be followed.

spacer.png

I used to work with a guy who listened to SEC radio all the time. I wanted to jump into oncoming traffic. It was physically painful to listen to some of those callers. To be fair, there was a morning show on one of the top 40 stations that was just as terrible. One of the moron hosts actually got into a ten minute argument that as you move West from Oklahoma, you'll go through Arizona before you reach New Mexico. 

3 hours ago, El Diablo said:

I used to work with a guy who listened to SEC radio all the time. I wanted to jump into oncoming traffic. It was physically painful to listen to some of those callers. To be fair, there was a morning show on one of the top 40 stations that was just as terrible. One of the moron hosts actually got into a ten minute argument that as you move West from Oklahoma, you'll go through Arizona before you reach New Mexico. 

This only works if there's exclaves, but why would individual states have exclaves? Like, in one Catalan town in Spain, you would have to drive into France to reach the rest of Spain, and there's a really extreme example involving, I think, Oman and the UAE, but I don't think there's any states in the U.S. that have exclaves.

spacer.png

5 hours ago, Kramerica Industries said:

This only works if there's exclaves, but why would individual states have exclaves? Like, in one Catalan town in Spain, you would have to drive into France to reach the rest of Spain, and there's a really extreme example involving, I think, Oman and the UAE, but I don't think there's any states in the U.S. that have exclaves.

Only the Kentucky Bend is an exclave. There's a few water-based exclaves, but you can still travel through to other parts without entering another state. 

+edit+ And the New York islands in the Hudson. 

Archived