Rite of Spring 2019: The Chase for the Stanley Cup

buzzcut

AKA: Who's gonna get screwed by the Metro this year?

Will have my picks up sometime this week.

MofnV2z.png

The CCSLC's resident Geelong Cats fan.

Viva La Vida or Death And All His Friends. Sounds like something from a Rocky & Bullwinkle story arc.

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, Dolphins Dynasty said:

The West looks to be the most intriguing; the East is almost already a wrap.

Oh no. No. Lets not go there. 

The 2005-'06 Red Wings finished with 124 points, 29 more than their first round opponent. The 2009-'10 Capitals finished with 121 points, 34 more than their first round opponent. Both of them lost to said opponents. Columbus is much better than New Jersey was last year; Lightning aren't going to have the first round "bye" that they had in the Devils. And that's not getting into that the Bruins, Penguins, or Capitals (especially the Caps) beating the Lightning wouldn't be too much of a surprise at all. They are all very good teams. 

Expectations are high and they should be, but nobody's expecting a breeze here. Anyone who is, is in for a rude awakening. 

spacer.png

Boy I never would've imagined the Islanders would make the playoffs this year, never mind having home ice advantage for the first time in my entire life. Still think we're doomed to Death By Crosby like most Islander-Penguin things but this season's been amazing. And hey, get past the Penguins, keep up the goaltending play, and get some good offensive performances to go with it (and maybe have the power play have anything that resembles a pulse) and the sky's the limit.

I still think these playoffs scream "Everything Coming Up Penguins" though.

Also I usually drop a YouTube link for a song to get things in the mood for the playoffs. Because The Admiral changed his avatar last year at the start of the playoffs to this, got it stuck in my head the entire first round, and he subsequently kept it an entire year, you're all forced to listen to it.

oEQ0ySg.png

Twitter: @RyanMcD29 // College Crosse: Where I write, chat, and infograph lacrosse

Lightning in 6

Bruins in 5

Capitals in 7

Islanders in 7

Predators in 5

Blues in 6

Avalanche in 7

Golden Knights in 6

In a edict sent down by Bettman: All Canadian teams lose in the first round.

Lightning in 5/ They can't be a fraud, they just can't. They've earned the respect to assume a quick first round.

Bruins in 6/ Leafs D has no answer for B's top line. Or maybe vice versa whaddo I know. Tavares scares me.

Caps in 6/ The Canes aren't gonna do the clappy celebration thing in the playoffs right? This doesn't seem like an underdog year which means it will be.

Pens in 7/ I have a sneaky feeling this might be the best 1st round series of the bunch. Road team wins every game or something, whatever.

Preds in 5/ "Hey, you suck!" I hate this series, I hate it.

Blues in 4/ Go with the hot hand.

Flames in 6/ Big question mark, goaltending might collapse who knows. They'll probably win though.

Knights in 7/ Oh boy. Should be fun.

Best time of year, bar none. I'm happy.

Lz5f6vZ.png

But God demonstrates His own love toward us, in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8/      Check Out My: Little Big League MLB ProjectDribbble

Tampa Bay in 5 - There's no way in hell that the Lightning lose to a team that has never won a playoff series before in Columbus, If that happens, that team needs to be blown up in the off-season and forced to do a 5 year rebuild plan.

Toronto in 7 - Tavares is going to do his thing and Boston can't find a way to stop him.

Washington in 6 - I want at least one Carolina home win so they can do one last Storm Surge before Ovi and the Caps run them out of town.

NY Islanders in 7 - I know, I know. Pittsburgh has the better team in terms of talent, but come on... The Isles have a plan for them.

Nashville in 6 - Just cause...

Winnipeg in 7 - St. Louis smells kind of like a fluke to me.

Calgary in 6 - Another case of 'Just cause'

Vegas in 6 - San Jose = Choking Gods. That is all

4 hours ago, Seadragon76 said:

I just want to see more Carolina shenanigans in their series with Washington.

27 minutes ago, Seadragon76 said:

Washington in 6 - I want at least one Carolina home win so they can do one last Storm Surge before Ovi and the Caps run them out of town.

Hurricanes have already said there won't be any Storm Surges in the playoffs.

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

For me, the Lightning’s previous performances in the playoff have earned them the Caps treatment - until further notice, aka them proving us wrong, I’m assuming they’re going to fail to meet expectations. In their case, the expectation is the Cup. Idk where they lose (wouldn’t it just be something if the Beej won their first ever playoff series by beating the NHL’s biggest powerhouse in a decade?), but I think they will, somewhere. 

spacer.png

9 minutes ago, Still MIGHTY said:

Hurricanes have already said there won't be any Storm Surges in the playoffs.

I’m actually disappointed by that. I gladly would’ve forfeited a game if it meant seeing Don Cherry literally explode after the Bunch of Jerks did one... IN THE PLAYOFFS! (gasp)

spacer.png

Here's my bracket.

6hWzJ5S.png

I realistically see the Caps beating the Isles in 7 games in round 2, but hey, I can dream, right? This team has been proving people wrong all year.

EDIT: If by some miracle the Islanders win the Stanley Cup at any point during my life time, I will get a tattoo and post the results.

First round picks, youz' mugs:

East:

BLUE JACKETS IN 7!*

Maple Leafs in 6

Capitals in 6

Islanders in 7

West:

Predators in 6

Jets in 5

Flames in 6

Golden Knights in 7

*A guy can dream, can't he?

MofnV2z.png

The CCSLC's resident Geelong Cats fan.

Viva La Vida or Death And All His Friends. Sounds like something from a Rocky & Bullwinkle story arc.

Archived