Rite of Spring 2019: The Chase for the Stanley Cup

buzzcut

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, the admiral said:

Was anyone else taken aback by that Kraft mozzarella commercial that showed a teenage brother and sister fighting with the v/o "you have enough hormones in your house"? "Your kids wanna bang. Buy some cheese."

Like this Folgers Christmas commercial where there's sexual tension between the brother and sister?

IbjBaeE.png

Mike Smith shuts out the Avs in game one. His first playoff start in 7 years.  Can’t say I expected a Smith shutout. I figured Calgary would take game one. I haven’t watched the entire game but what I’ve seen of it didn’t involve Smith standing on his head to make a bunch of incredible saves, but a shutout is still a shutout.

Two games in and it’s abundantly clear that the West is much weaker than the East. 

EDIT: OK saw some nice Smith saves in the highlights. Maybe he was more challenged by the Avs than what I saw   

BB52Big.jpg

48 minutes ago, infrared41 said:

There is no such thing as the right Boston team winning. Any win by a Boston team is a win by the wrong team. 

Riiiiiggghht. Forgot people  are envious  hate Boston teams. 

Oh well. Can't really complain about being the eternal heels of the sportsworld. 😄

For whatever it's worth, I've long maintained that most diehard Bruins fans are a subphylum of New England fans unto themselves with very few of the noxious traits associated with their brethren (but maybe a few noxious traits of their own). They don't seem to say "no one ever believed in us!" about the team with maybe the best two-way center of all time, imagine that.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

1 hour ago, AustinFomBoston said:

Riiiiiggghht. Forgot people  are envious  hate Boston teams. 

Oh well. Can't really complain about being the eternal heels of the sportsworld. 😄

FWIW, I’ve hated the Red Sox since I was a kid. I’m talking all the way back to the early to mid 70’s. I can assure you that “envy” has nothing to do with it. 

BB52Big.jpg

11 hours ago, the admiral said:

Was anyone else taken aback by that Kraft mozzarella commercial that showed a teenage brother and sister fighting with the v/o "you have enough hormones in your house"? "Your kids wanna bang. Buy some cheese."

You're looking at this like a guy who needs to put a Hyman/hymen joke out into the universe. Parents totally get what that commercial is talking about, and it's not sexual.

13 hours ago, habsfan1 said:

Tukka was bad. There's a chance Halak starts in Game 2.

13 hours ago, AustinFomBoston said:

If Bruins end up losing this series, I think they may finally do something about Rask. 

He just hasn't been the anchor on defense the Bruins need. Especially in the playoffs. 

While Tuukka was his typical sub-par self lets not act like this loss is solely on him. Bruins played like it was a mid-October matinee in every facet of the game. When a team plays that bad, it needs it's goaltender to bail them out, and Tuukka is not and will never be that guy. 

1 hour ago, Seadragon76 said:

Why do I get the feeling that this reeks of a jinx??

I donno, have you ever seen DBZ? It didn’t end well for Piccolo :P

It’s less me jinxing anyone by saying the Leafs will win and more me being shocked that they can. 

I mean obviously they can. They took Boston to seven games the last two times they played them, but those were uphill battles.

It’s always been that way for the Leafs against the Bruins. It’s always having to scratch and claw and fight for every advantage. The Leafs had to come back from a 3-1 deficit last year just to get it to seven ffs. And they were absolutely humiliated in games one and two. 

While I wasn’t going to write off the Leafs in this series? I was fully prepared to go down early because that’s what the Leafs do against the Bruins in the playoffs. 

So to see the Leafs win game one, in Boston, and do so with a multi-goal cushion by the end of it? 

I wasn’t expecting that and I’m pleasantly surprised. Makes me think that this time it can be different, that they won’t dig themselves into a hole they have to spend everything to climb out of only to lose in game seven anyway. 

Hell, maybe the Leafs lose in five. Could very well happen. You know what though? I’m enjoying the pleasant surprise that was game one for the time being. 

26 minutes ago, Ice_Cap said:

I donno, have you ever seen DBZ? It didn’t end well for Piccolo :P

Well, he didn’t die in the Freeza/Frieza Saga, so it ended well enough for him. He just got the voice of a Namekian warrior lodged in his head, soon to be joined by Piccolo’s other half. If anything, he lost the loneliness that had plagued him from birth/reincarnation!

Is it bad that I’m spoiling a 20+ year-old anime/popular abridged series?

Also, the Sharks won’t get swept! Little victories.

One thing I noticed last night for the Leafs, at least for the half of the game that I watched, was that they weren't letting the Bruins get too many grade A scoring chances. Especially in the dying minutes, their defense was miles better than it was at other points in the year. If they can keep that up, I think they have a legitimate shot at winning this series.

@noe38concepts (Instagram - Twitter)

spacer.png

Archived