Rite of Spring 2019: The Chase for the Stanley Cup

buzzcut

Haven't looked at scores yet, just so I could come post:

Flames in 5 - this all hinges on goaltending not falling apart

Knights 7 - Las Vegas at least knows how to win, butbI can see this series going either way.

Preds in 6 - the "how are they doing this when they feel so mediocre" train will continue a little longer.

Blues in 6 - Blues came in too hot, Sharks too not, imo.

Bolts in 6 - Columbus will put up a fight, but not enough to overcome Tampa's dominance

Bruins in 6 - another series I could see going either way, if Toronto works out the kinks. If not, see Blues, above.

Caps in 5 - they've had a taste, and I think they'll come out of the gate hard

Isles in 6 - a third season I can see being a toss up. If NY wants it, they need to get it done in 6. PIT is too good in game 7s.

Thunder Bay Lynx - International Hockey Association (2 seasons, 2017-18, 2019-20, 2018 Xtreme Cup Champions)Houston Armadillos - Major League Hockey (2 seasons, 2016-18) | Minnesota Muskies - North American Basketball Association (1 season, 2017-2018) | Louisville Thoroughbreds - United League of Baseball (1 season, 2017, 2017 United Cup Champions) | Las Vegas Thunderbirds - International Basketball League (1 season, 2016-17, 2017 Champions) 

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
38 minutes ago, Sec19Row53 said:

106 games in a row winning when up 3 goals. 

Wow, Columbus!

Last year, Columbus was an inch away from taking a 3-0 series lead against the team who won the Stanley Cup.

Man, tonight's games have been exciting so far. 

Thunder Bay Lynx - International Hockey Association (2 seasons, 2017-18, 2019-20, 2018 Xtreme Cup Champions)Houston Armadillos - Major League Hockey (2 seasons, 2016-18) | Minnesota Muskies - North American Basketball Association (1 season, 2017-2018) | Louisville Thoroughbreds - United League of Baseball (1 season, 2017, 2017 United Cup Champions) | Las Vegas Thunderbirds - International Basketball League (1 season, 2016-17, 2017 Champions) 

34 minutes ago, Ice_Cap said:

Cooper. Is. The. Weak. Link.

12 minutes ago, lordsketor said:

And they just extended his contract too!!!

This was a live shot of me when I heard that news.

tenor.gif?itemid=5462519

Couldn't :censored: ing believe they did that with a head coach whose teams have a terrible track record of falling short in the playoffs. 

They're now 18-17 in home games under him, and 2-7 in Game 1 at home. Do you guys know what the Blackhawks home record was during their dynasty? First off, I think they only lost Game 1 at home, like, twice (both in 2010, in the opening rounds), and overall they went 44-14 at home. Three fewer losses, across 23 more games.

That's why one team was a dynasty, and the other one is the Eastern Conference version of the Sharks. Lose a tough Game 1 at home where Bob stands on his head? I get concerned that Playoff Bob isn't going to be a Thing™ this year, but you tip your cap and move on (and, in fairness, he was spectacular in keeping them in the game at 3-0/3-1 down). When you cough up a 3-0 lead and 3-1 third period lead? Pound the g-ddamned alarm bells. I have no reason to be confident they can hold a 3-goal lead at any point again this postseason after that. 

--

For so many years now, I've been wanting to wash my hands of rooting for individual sports teams, because it's an investment of time and emotion that leaves me pissed off more often than it leaves me happy. Happiness is more fleeting than irritation. The day I finally succed in doing this will be the greatest accomplishment of my life. Knowing me and great accomplishments, it's never going to happen. 

spacer.png

On 4/9/2019 at 2:20 PM, Bucfan56 said:

Who cares? :censored: hockey. 

:( 

Well, let’s see how we both feel when the Sharks are at the end of their series. Either way, I’m probably posting lyrics from damn-near every song on Alice in Chains’ Dirt.

spacer.png

Ain’t found a way to kill me yet

Eyes burn with stingin’ sweat

Seems every path leads me to nowhere

Refs: "Hmmmm, first goal shouldn't count."

Refs: "Yeah we're gonna let those three blatant Pittsburgh trips go unanswered"

Refs: "That awkward and mutual slide into the boards? Penalty on Lee."

Refs: "Hahaha you thought the puck was loose?"

Refs: "Lehner had it covered, but I didn't want to blow the whistle!"

Isles: "F*** you, we're winning anyways"

ALSO: God bless Josh Bailey. Chokes it with like 7 seconds left, comes back for redemption in OT. This team has so much grit.

How do you blow a 3-0 lead?

Tampa fans better be thankful that was just Game 1, because if that happened in, say, Game 7... well, I would expect every Tampa Bay fan to grab spears, pitchforks and torches so they can go after Yzerman for this.

Archived