Uniform Rules you would Add or Enforce in Sports

simtek34

On 9/10/2019 at 6:04 PM, simtek34 said:

Here are some thoughts that I've had.

In the NFL, I would add a Uniform rule that states that the Socks and Pants must never be the exact same color on a uniform. I know teams these days love to (for some god-forsaken reason) wear the same color Jersey and Pants, which sucks. It's even worse with the Same sock colors, which creates a full monochrome look, which is horrible. 

spacer.png

These matchups would look a lot better if 

• The Vikings were wearing White Pants or White Socks
  • The Saints wore Gold Pants
  • Panthers wore Silver Pants
  • Seahawks wore Grey or White Pants, and Green or White Socks
  • Texans wore Red Socks or White Pants
  • Ravens wore White Pants or Purple Socks
  • Jaguars wore Any other Pants or Socks

(Ignore the Browns. I used that because I was trying to find a good shot of Mono-Panthers in action.)

I think it looks like pyjamas when they do that--and when the jersey also matches but the helmet doesn't?

It's hard to look at

But I don't know that I'd make a rule of it--but it should be discouraged 

Comic Sans walks into a bar, and the bartender says, "Sorry, we don't serve your type here."

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't like piping on hockey & football uniforms, but I don't know about making a rule against it.

I think the main one I would want--for all sports is that no two two teams can have the same uniform template as far as stripes, etc.

They could be similar or have overlap--but no two exactly the same--so if you see the unit in black & white but can't see the logo or number font (& number font would be included as same template) you know which team it is

Comic Sans walks into a bar, and the bartender says, "Sorry, we don't serve your type here."

2 minutes ago, Stampman said:

No, just no.

It was a joke.  You know, because of the whole Reebok Edge system where jerseys were originally meant to be tucked in, resulting in the Leafs being the Leafs and taking off the hem stripes, while other Original 6 teams laughed at that.  Nobody could seriously think a hockey jersey should be tucked in.  Not to mention that there was (is?) a rule where a player could be penalized for tucking in their jerseys.

4 minutes ago, M4One said:

It was a joke.  You know, because of the whole Reebok Edge system where jerseys were originally meant to be tucked in, resulting in the Leafs being the Leafs and taking off the hem stripes, while other Original 6 teams laughed at that.  Nobody could seriously think a hockey jersey should be tucked in.  Not to mention that there was (is?) a rule where a player could be penalized for tucking in their jerseys.

Good.

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/10/2019 at 8:04 PM, simtek34 said:

Here are some thoughts that I've had.

In the NFL, I would add a Uniform rule that states that the Socks and Pants must never be the exact same color on a uniform. I know teams these days love to (for some god-forsaken reason) wear the same color Jersey and Pants, which sucks. It's even worse with the Same sock colors, which creates a full monochrome look, which is horrible. 

spacer.png

These matchups would look a lot better if 

• The Vikings were wearing White Pants or White Socks
  • The Saints wore Gold Pants
  • Panthers wore Silver Pants
  • Seahawks wore Grey or White Pants, and Green or White Socks
  • Texans wore Red Socks or White Pants
  • Ravens wore White Pants or Purple Socks
  • Jaguars wore Any other Pants or Socks

(Ignore the Browns. I used that because I was trying to find a good shot of Mono-Panthers in action.)

Also, in MLB, I would enforce that every players Socks/Stirrups must be visible. It can get distracting when half the team ha their pants going below their shoes when others have their Stirrups or Socks fully visible as it should be.

spacer.png

As I'm watching the last SNF regular season game with the Niners vs the Seahawks, those Niners all white unis have got to GO!  At least wear red or black high socks to breakup the monotony; you want to swear Onesies, I'll take you to the kindergarten room and you can wear all the Onesies you want. Leave it out of pro football!

1 hour ago, Tygers09 said:

As I'm watching the last SNF regular season game with the Niners vs the Seahawks, those Niners all white unis have got to GO!  At least wear red or black high socks to breakup the monotony; you want to swear Onesies, I'll take you to the kindergarten room and you can wear all the Onesies you want. Leave it out of pro football!

How it SHOULD look
spacer.png

da0Lbhs.png

I think I'd bring the one-helmet rule to college...under the guise of "safety" but really for the purpose of identity/consistency/sanity.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

On 9/17/2019 at 11:52 PM, msubulldog said:

Marching bands (high school & college)--To me seeing them in the stands wearing t-shirts and a glorified pair of overalls seems a bit tacky. I understand the need to be comfortable, so for warm weather and/or early season games I suggest at least one of the following:  a polo shirt with shorts, or a short-sleeve pullover blouse not unlike the long-sleeved ones many bands favored in the late 70s/early 80s.

That's why they take the coats off and wear t-shirts underneath. If you're requiring them to add something over the pants, they may as well wear the jackets the whole game. In Texas, where it can be 90 degrees into November in a normal year, that's asking a lot for a kid who's instrument could weigh 30 pounds and is wrapped around them the entire day when you consider pre-game activities all over campus, march to the stadium, pre-game, the game, halftime and post-game. Depending on what activities are going on a sousaphone player could be wrapped in that instrument for almost 8 hours.

On 9/22/2019 at 2:07 PM, infrared41 said:

This is going to be fun...

Rule #1: Across all sports. If you are not Army, Navy, Air Force, or the Coast Guard (We once looked this up on BASS, the Coast Guard has teams), you are not allowed to wear camo uniforms of any type or any type of "military inspired" uniform. Period. We leave the military stuff the the players that earned the right to wear it. Non-Military teams that would like to do a tribute to the military can wear a patch or paint a tasteful tribute on the field. All patches and tributes must be approved by the Military before use. 

MLB:

5. Going forward the pink and blue used to support breast and prostate cancer will be limited to a small stripe on batting helmets and a patch on either the cap or the jersey. No more pink or blue bats. 

6. Players weekend uniforms are officially outlawed. The people in Williamsport want to see MLB teams in MLB uniforms. If they want to watch softball uniforms then they can go watch softball. 

NBA:

1. Each team is allowed one home, one road, one alternate, and one "Hardwood Classic" uniform. Alternates can be worn once a week. Hardwood Classics can be worn once a month. Teams must provide era appropriate throwbacks for opponents. No more of this 7-8 looks per team nonsense. 

Rule #1. I'd place a waiver IF they are auctioning off said uniforms for a military/military family charity (USO, Gold Star Mothers, etc). 

MLB 5. I'm fine with allowing pink and blue bats. Just go back to having a patch, no special number colors, that includes Memorial Day too. If people want a a camo colored Indians hat, buy it from the team store but keep it off the playing field.

MLB 6. If you want to do it, it needs to have a bunch of different looks, not just one design split across 30 teams and it has to look like something a Little League team would wear. Otherwise, just shelve it. 

MiLB - Let them have fun with all the crazy idea, but limit them to 15 times per year for all of the special days (Copa, Star Wars, First Responders).

NBA 1 - This. This is all there needs to be. Also, make All Star Game logos fun again. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

Archived