Uniform Rules you would Add or Enforce in Sports

simtek34

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 hours ago, Ice_Cap said:

NCAA Football

-A NFL-esque one helmet rule. Why? I want to see the (college football) world burn.

-You have to wear schools. It's the least they can do if we're going to pretend these programs are outgrowths of collegiate amateurism.

Why do you want to see the ... world burn? And what do you mean by "wear schools"?

2 hours ago, msubulldog said:

Why do you want to see the ... world burn?

It's a joke, about how so many "alternate" uniforms in college football would be rendered useless if the NCAA had a one helmet rule. 

2 hours ago, msubulldog said:

And what do you mean by "wear schools"?

That's a typo. It should be "wear school colours."

On 9/24/2019 at 7:27 PM, msubulldog said:

That's actually 00--Ken Burr00gh and Jim 0tt0

There was a player who wore the number 0 for a time back in the early 70's. I'm almost positive he played for the Saints, but that was damned near 50 years ago and I was about 9 or 10 when I saw the picture. 

EDIT: No, I'm not thinking of George Plimpton and that stunt he did with the Lions when he wore 0. It was an actual player. Trying to find the pic.

And here he is. Saints DB Obert Logan. There were two other players in NFL history who wore 0, but this is the guy I was remembering. 

416QI86MhpL._SY445_.jpg4264089232_dd830dea32.jpg

BB52Big.jpg

14 hours ago, Ice_Cap said:

NFL

-Monochrome, other than white jerseys and white pants, is banned.

-Go back to the previous sock rule.

-There must be contrast with the top of the sock and the pants.

-Enforce sleeve regulations.

Preach, brother. Oh, and for all of you "agists" (relax DG, I'm kidding. I don't really think you or anyone else is an agist.) who claim people like me are being too "prescriptive" and "just want things like they were when we were young", Ice Cap and I are about 26 years apart in age. He wasn't alive when NFL teams actually wore sleeves which kinda kills the "wants it to look how it did when he was young" bit. Some things just look better without regard to when they were worn. It's the "Blue Pinstriped Suit Corollary." No more, no less. 

BB52Big.jpg

40 minutes ago, DNAsports said:

MLB:

Every team is required to have at least one pullover jersey in their uniform rotation

Interesting. People like me who grew up in the era of pullovers tend to not like them very much. Some teams pulled it off; A's, Pirates, Reds, and a couple others, but for the most part, 70's baseball uniforms were pretty bad - in my opinion. 

BB52Big.jpg

18 hours ago, infrared41 said:

Interesting. People like me who grew up in the era of pullovers tend to not like them very much. Some teams pulled it off; A's, Pirates, Reds, and a couple others, but for the most part, 70's baseball uniforms were pretty bad - in my opinion. 

Totally this! When I was playing Little League and Pony League in the 80s, how I wished our Uniforms actually looked like MLB Button Down Uniforms as opposed to basic pullovers, they looked like T-Shirts.  I'm a huge fan of the sleeveless button down vest look with the contrasting colored T-Shirt worn underneath it! 1957 - 1970 and 2001 - 2008 Pirates uniforms, to me it screams Classic MLB look and don't forget the pants that go to the knee and stirrup socks

Not a uniform, but a field... specifically the endzones at Heinz Field.  Paint PITTSBURGH in both.  Please.  The slash marks in one, Pittsburgh in the other makes it look indecisive.  Even the Chargers figured this one out.

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

2 hours ago, Discrimihater said:

Not a uniform, but a field... specifically the endzones at Heinz Field.  Paint PITTSBURGH in both.  Please.  The slash marks in one, Pittsburgh in the other makes it look indecisive.  Even the Chargers figured this one out.

Along these lines, if you're going to have one endzone spelling out the geographic location, and the other for your team name, then please have the geographic endzone on the left side of the field (when viewed from a TV set) and have the team name in the right endzone. You spell the geographic name first and the team name second, right*? It should be done the same intuitive way with field design. If a team wants to do the geographic name or the team name for both endzones, that's also ok. 

WRONG

RIGHT

In addition, except in situations where it creates logistical problems - shared facilities between football and soccer mainly - colored endzones look better than non-colored endzones in almost any scenario. Always opt for the colored endzone if you have the opportunity to.

*"Mighty Ducks of Anaheim" need not apply

spacer.png

NFL:

If any stripe is applied to any one part of the uniform (helmet, jersey, pants, socks), it must be applied to at least two of the remaining three articles of the uniform.

Said stripe cannot be mismatch. For example, if a helmet utilizes one stripe, the jersey CANNOT utilize two, the pants and/or socks CANNOT utilize three. Must be one, two, or three+ all the way down.

11 hours ago, DNAsports said:

NFL:

If any stripe is applied to any one part of the uniform (helmet, jersey, pants, socks), it must be applied to at least two of the remaining three articles of the uniform.

Said stripe cannot be mismatch. For example, if a helmet utilizes one stripe, the jersey CANNOT utilize two, the pants and/or socks CANNOT utilize three. Must be one, two, or three+ all the way down.

I disagree here. Certain stripes just don’t work on certain articles as well as others. It also would create a lot of similar looks. The old jets and colts would end up looking the same just different colors. Every team with a north western stripe would look the same just color swapped. As long as everything works together as a whole it should be fine. Florida tries too hard to make their striping consistent and I honestly think it hurts them.

Baseball:

Home whites and road greys must be worn for at least 41 of their 81 respective games

Two teams cannot wear colored tops in the same game (teams with white, cream or grey alternates are exempt from this rule)

Multiple sock designs for each team are allowed (for example the Mets have both plain blue socks and blue socks with the bridge from their sleeve logo on them) however for each game, one design must be designated and all players must wear those socks.

On NFL field designs....

You can't use the NFL logo on the 50. You need to use either a team logo or a helmet logo. Yes, even the Jets and Giants. It's 2019, changing out a centre field logo shouldn't be hard.

No conference logos anywhere. Conference logos should be reserved for Super Bowl endzones.

Speaking of which, make Super Bowl endzones fun again. None of this "wordmark and one logo" crap. I don't have a preferred template I think they should stick to, but I'd like to see fun endzone designs make a comeback. And include the Conference logos again. The Super Bowl is only a thing because the NFL and AFL decided to pit their champions against each other. The NFC and AFC logos being represented just feels "right."

Archived