Orlando Magic Rebrand WIP

raysox

Hey yall

I'm wanting to do a Magic rebrand concept, featuring new logos, uniforms, court, social branding, and all of that fun stuff.

I think the Magic haven't had a good brand since they were formed. Frankly, it's hard to do anything strong when your name is an abstract term. In their history, they've used stars, a basketball, and a script. My goal is to play around with those things and come up with a logo that's more dynamic than their current phallic shaped basketball. 

I had put this concept down months ago. Recently, I had a new idea and pulled up the file I had started on. The idea was to angle the ball up and make an M on the side facing the viewer using the ball seams. However, two throw away concepts on the side of my artboard were worth building off of. Here they are.

Option 1:

This is a typical 5 point star with some notches taken out to make an M. When i put down the concept, it played with a second shade of blue to punch out the M shape. Now, I simplified the colors, and placed it on my new ball idea. I kept looking at it and felt that I may have stumbled into a decent icon that the Magic have never had.

EN-YTMKWsAAGmrh?format=jpg&name=4096x409
I tweeted this, and half of the replies I got said they reminded them of the Mavericks. Can't have that! Although the Magic were these colors before Dallas, they have been so irrelevant that the Mavs have appropriated the colors.

Moving on, I wanted to play around with the colors. I felt like the colors are the least of their problems, and adding orange or something would complicate things in their main mark.

Option B:
I went with a blue tinted black, and dropped the grey. One comment someone made suggested using a 6 sided star to differentiate from the Mavericks. Well, one of the concepts I had made all those months ago was a 6 sided star, rotated to make a M. Speaking abstractly, the M does sort of look like rabbit ears being pulled out of a top hat. I threw a ball in the middle of the empty space and posted on twitter. I think after making this, the biggest thing is that people would see the Star of David. I don't think rotating it is convincing me otherwise.

EOIY_oXXkAE48hX?format=png&name=4096x409

I want to make a custom script moving forward, and nothing is finalized yet. But before I do that, I want to see what people thought of these so far. I'm open to creating more marks if people have trouble seeing what I see. 

Thanks!

31 minutes ago, raysox said:

Hey yall

I'm wanting to do a Magic rebrand concept, featuring new logos, uniforms, court, social branding, and all of that fun stuff.

I think the Magic haven't had a good brand since they were formed. Frankly, it's hard to do anything strong when your name is an abstract term. In their history, they've used stars, a basketball, and a script. My goal is to play around with those things and come up with a logo that's more dynamic than their current phallic shaped basketball. 

I had put this concept down months ago. Recently, I had a new idea and pulled up the file I had started on. The idea was to angle the ball up and make an M on the side facing the viewer using the ball seams. However, two throw away concepts on the side of my artboard were worth building off of. Here they are.

Option 1:

This is a typical 5 point star with some notches taken out to make an M. When i put down the concept, it played with a second shade of blue to punch out the M shape. Now, I simplified the colors, and placed it on my new ball idea. I kept looking at it and felt that I may have stumbled into a decent icon that the Magic have never had.

EN-YTMKWsAAGmrh?format=jpg&name=4096x409
I tweeted this, and half of the replies I got said they reminded them of the Mavericks. Can't have that! Although the Magic were these colors before Dallas, they have been so irrelevant that the Mavs have appropriated the colors.

Moving on, I wanted to play around with the colors. I felt like the colors are the least of their problems, and adding orange or something would complicate things in their main mark.

🤟

spacer.png

RxrX5RD.png

Not really a fan of either. Like you said, I think Mavericks with the first (possibly because the blue top almost reminds me of a mane?) and the Star of David with the second. I think if the comet ball has to go, you should try for something with an O instead of an M.

ExJworW.png

I'd use more than two stars in the roundel. White stars look better, IMO.

I'd use the 5-pointed star just because I keep seeing MW in the 6-pointed star. 

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

One thing that might help is a line of some sort between the stars and the 1989 in the roundel. Depending on how stylized it is, it could go along with the shooting star image Disney always has and ultimately it fills in the blank space without making it too busy.

• 3 weeks later...

These are really great! My issue with your logo is that it's too reminiscent of the Mavericks. I do not mean to be rude but have you considered creating a concept with a wizard holding a basketball or something like that? You surely have the skills to make it work, thats for sure(!) It would be treading on Washingtons Wizards domain but they have kinda abandoned the "magical" aspects of their brand and adopted the monument instead. 

Deyr fé, deyja frændr, deyr sjálfr it sama; en orðstír deyr aldregi hveim er sér góðan getr.

Keeping with my Disney idea, maybe in the rounded you could put a simplified silouhette of the Magic Kingdom castle, with fireworks/stars. There could be a prominent firework that juts across the front with a basketball at the front. Or there could be a basketball that doubles as the ground the castle sits on. Or, in a shocking move, you could even omit a basketball ;) 

Archived