Former Cincinnati Bengals Quarterback Boomer Esiason Advocates For New Uniforms

10 hours ago, Sport said:

Getting too literal about what a tiger looks like is how they ended up with the white side panels in 2004 so I don't think gray is necessary, but you could make a good argument that gray would fit with the Bengals. There's some gray on this dude. 

Bengal-Tiger-1280x720.jpg

you could even call "Tiger Gray" and the Nike Hard-Ons would hoot and holler. 

Oh hell yeah. I'm hootin' and hollerin' already. I think the Bengals have the potential to have the best uniforms in the league if they do it right. I'd love to see it. 

Speaking of being too literal -- as a Bengals fan and a professional designer -- has it ever bothered you that the stripes are running different directions on the helmet and the jersey? I've always wondered if the jersey stripes should be running along the shoulders, rather than across the shoulders. In theory, it makes sense to me, but maybe in practice it doesn't. Curious as to what a pro and fan might think.

usatsi_11450134.jpg

From this angle, it's almost like the helmet stripes are at 90 degrees, the shoulders are at 0, and the pants are at 45. While it is not the worst thing about the uniforms, I've always found it to be odd that there is no consistency with how they were applied. I get that in general, a helmet stripe, a shoulder stripe, and a pant stripe will naturally run different directions, but there's something to be said about this being actual tiger stripes that I feel should be more consistent. Tiger stripes only run one direction. Again, maybe I'm being too literal here. I intend to experiment with this (and Tiger Gray!) whenever I get to the Bengals in my concept series. 

bengals-uniformsjpg.jpg

My NFL concept series (in progress) --ATL, CLE, NE, WAS done. AZ updated 04/21/23.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What's interesting is that for many years the Cincinnati Zoo was well known for their ultra-rare white tigers. It always didn't make much sense to me as a kid that at least one set of their uniforms didn't take advantage of that.

On 5/28/2020 at 7:58 PM, j'villejags said:

Oh hell yeah. I'm hootin' and hollerin' already. I think the Bengals have the potential to have the best uniforms in the league if they do it right. I'd love to see it. 

Speaking of being too literal -- as a Bengals fan and a professional designer -- has it ever bothered you that the stripes are running different directions on the helmet and the jersey? I've always wondered if the jersey stripes should be running along the shoulders, rather than across the shoulders. In theory, it makes sense to me, but maybe in practice it doesn't. Curious as to what a pro and fan might think.

usatsi_11450134.jpg

From this angle, it's almost like the helmet stripes are at 90 degrees, the shoulders are at 0, and the pants are at 45. While it is not the worst thing about the uniforms, I've always found it to be odd that there is no consistency with how they were applied. I get that in general, a helmet stripe, a shoulder stripe, and a pant stripe will naturally run different directions, but there's something to be said about this being actual tiger stripes that I feel should be more consistent. Tiger stripes only run one direction. Again, maybe I'm being too literal here. I intend to experiment with this (and Tiger Gray!) whenever I get to the Bengals in my concept series. 

bengals-uniformsjpg.jpg

I have a lot of issues with the current uniform, but the directions of the stripes isn't one of them. The main problem is the uniform has too much happening all at once. You've got contrasting color sleeves, the universally loathed side panel, the Broncos pant stripe, drop-shadowed numbers, and a contrasting color collar. All that PLUS tiger stripes are haphazardly slapped all over it. The white jerseys inexplicably use an orange yoke because "HEY IT'S 2004!" It's an incoherent mess. 

The best helmet in football, which nobody disagrees with, is the star of the show, but it has so much going on that the best way to use it is some understated jerseys and pants that don't steal attention from the BHiF. It's a football uniform, not a tiger costume. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

4 hours ago, Sport said:

I have a lot of issues with the current uniform, but the directions of the stripes isn't one of them. The main problem is the uniform has too much happening all at once. You've got contrasting color sleeves, the universally loathed side panel, the Broncos pant stripe, drop-shadowed numbers, and a contrasting color collar. All that PLUS tiger stripes are haphazardly slapped all over it. The white jerseys inexplicably use an orange yoke because "HEY IT'S 2004!" It's an incoherent mess. 

The best helmet in football, which nobody disagrees with, is the star of the show, but it has so much going on that the best way to use it is some understated jerseys and pants that don't steal attention from the BHiF. It's a football uniform, not a tiger costume. 

There's also a little "Reebok Vikings" there if I'm not mistaken (though the Bengals came first.)  Toward the top of the pants, what would be black stripes are white...presumably as way to "blend" into the side panel.  It's kind of overthinking if you ask me.  And another messy piece to add to your list of messy pieces that create a giant mess.

It was actually worse with the Vikings, who basically moved the "line" from the waist to three inches below the waste. And the Vikings exacerbated it by almost never wearing the purple pants, leaving a shape, rather than a stripe, on the pants for the road look (or, rather, a white box inexplicably int the middle of a Broncos-like purple stripe from armpit to knee).

The Vikings moved on quite a while ago...it's amazing how long Cincinnati has been wearing this crap.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

Archived