Who would you pick for the 2012 Olympics

Retromaniac

Who would you pick for the 2012 Olympics?  

47 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I picked London because it will be the summer games by then and Britain has gone for over half a century without an Olympics and I believe it is time for them to host the Olympics. Russia will have gone for a quarter of a century by next year, but they are more of a winter games country in my opinion. France and Spain will have gone for twenty years by then, but they can wait. The United States just had one, so they can definitely wait. By then, they will have the status that France and Spain have today.

do you refer the winter olympics as being that important to summer olympics?

you've said NYC and the USA having had it in 2002, this is summer not winter games so it should read 'NYC (last games: 1996) cos' imo winter games don't count and aren't as important cos' i don't bother getting up or staying up til midnight to see the games (maybe opening i would)

twitter.com/thebrainofMatt

do you refer the winter olympics as being that important to summer olympics?

you've said NYC and the USA having had it in 2002, this is summer not winter games so it should read 'NYC (last games: 1996) cos' imo winter games don't count and aren't as important cos' i don't bother getting up or staying up til midnight to see the games (maybe opening i would)

That's only your opinion... the IOC sees it differently.

This is why Toronto didn't bother bidding for 2012, even tho they were runner-up in 2008... Vancouver got Winter in 2010.

---

Chris Creamer
Founder/Editor, SportsLogos.Net

"The Mothership" News Facebook X/Twitter Instagram

Originally, when the Winter Games were started (and held in the same year as the Summer Olympics), the idea was to have them in the same country as the Summer Games whenever possible.

1924 - Paris / Chamonix (France)

1928 - Amsterdam (Netherlands) / St. Moritz (Switzerland) [no mountains in Netherlands, I guess]

1932 - Los Angeles / Lake Placid (USA)

1936 - Berlin / Garmisch-Partenkirchen (Germany)

After World War II, they apparently gave up on that plan.

CK3ZP8E.jpg

Althought I'd be cool to see the Olympics in such a Huge City (NY), many venues directly downtown, give it to London. 1980, 1984, 1996, 2002. (Plus '88 in calgary (right?) which isn't the U.S. but its North America) We can wait a few more years. Now that I look at that, since I've been born, the longest stretch of the olympics not being in North America has been 8 years, 1988-1996.

Olympiads (by my count) Held in North America

1904: St. Louis (USA- Summer)

1932: Los Angeles (USA- SUmmer)

1960: Squaw Valley (USA- Winter)

1968: Mexico City (MEX- Summer)

1976: Montreal (CAN- Summer?)

1980: Lake Placid (USA- Winter)

1984: Los Angeles (USA- Summer)

1988: Calgary (CAN- Winter)

1996: Atlanta (USA- Summer)

2002: Salt Lake City (USA- Winter)

2010: Vancouver (CAN- Winter)

2012: New York City (USA- Summer)

Edited to reflect addition of Calgary

As you can see by the timeline, 2012 would NOT be "somebody else's turn." In fact, by then, the United States, and North America as a whole, would be long overdue for an Olympics. And it's not American greed that gets the Olympics hosted here over and over again, it's the ability of our nation(s) to reliably put together the funding and facilities rquired to host such a momentous event. North America is the most reliable continent they've got when it comes to putting together the games, which is why they keep coming back.

Of course, New York's not going to win, but how could I vote against having the real, true, nobody's mind games Olympics just half an hour from my home? To see the games in person? That would be magical.

sticksstones4.png

The world's foremost practitioners of professional tag-team wrestling.

Althought I'd be cool to see the Olympics in such a Huge City (NY), many venues directly downtown, give it to London. 1980, 1984, 1996, 2002. (Plus '88 in calgary (right?) which isn't the U.S. but its North America) We can wait a few more years. Now that I look at that, since I've been born, the longest stretch of the olympics not being in North America has been 8 years, 1988-1996.

Well, the only venue in Manhattan would be MSG. The rest is spread out in queens, the bronx (the baseball is supposed to be in Yankee Stadium, or Yankee Stadium III if that is built in time), long island and New Jersey.

That's part of the problem with New York everything is spread out and it takes time to get from venue to venue added to the fact that most of the venues need to built and nothing gets built in New York.

Well, the only venue in Manhattan would be MSG. The rest is spread out in queens, the bronx (the baseball is supposed to be in Yankee Stadium, or Yankee Stadium III if that is built in time), long island and New Jersey.

Wrong, I believe. Everyone who lives near New York knows that the Jets are going to get the West Side Stadium built, whether or not we get the Olympics. That stadium's going to be built on Manhattan Island. That's two venues.

Also, you make the Bronx, Brooklyn, and Queens sound as if they're not part of New York City. While New Jersey and Long Island certainly aren't, those three definitely are.

sticksstones4.png

The world's foremost practitioners of professional tag-team wrestling.

Screw NYC!

utah_jazz_signature_s.jpgdenver_nuggets.gif

Utah Jazz Retired Number's

#1 - Frank Layden - #7 Pete Maravich - #12 John Stockton - #14 Jeff Hornacek - #35 Darrell Griffith - #53 Mark Eaton

Retired Number's To Come

#00 The Bear (Best Mascot In NBA) - #4 Adrian Dantley - #32 Karl "The Mailman" Malone

Archived