Edmonton CFL team rebrands as "Elks"

Sec19Row53

30 minutes ago, Chromatic said:

I never said it was only good for sausage or burgers, I'm saying if you don't like that distinctive gamey taste but want to eat venison, those are better options than a straight slab of meat.

You’re right, my bad. misread your post. I get a little defensive about deer meat because I hear from people who have never eaten it how it’s “gross” or “gamey” or sad or whatever and it get me a little worked up.

• Replies 560
  • Created
  • Last Reply
29 minutes ago, Steve-O said:

Totally fair and design is obviously entirely subjective. The "flaws" to me, just shouldn't be a thing when you could have made this far more crisp. I agree that the concept and style fits perfectly from the 50s-80s, and I love that, but I don't think it should have the perfectly imperfect feel when this was done in the 2020s.

Anyway, to each their own but I can definitely see this logo being updated within a decade.

If there is any update to it, I’d imagine they’d conjoin the antler to the head and maybe adjust the eye. Nothing too extreme. The absolute most I can see them doing is attempting a full body elk.

3 hours ago, DNAsports said:

Oddly enough, I really like this option. It’s a good way to represent the history of the franchise. Screw anyone who thinks “tHeRe cAn’T bE tWo NuMbErEd tEaMs”

I don't have an issue with a league having two numbered teams, but Washington isn't the newest team in the league, so 32s doesn't make any sense. If the Texans had decided to go that way it would've been more applicable. 

Just now, spartacat_12 said:

I don't have an issue with a league having two numbered teams, but Washington isn't the newest team in the league, so 32s doesn't make any sense. If the Texans had decided to go that way it would've been more applicable. 

Out of genuine curiosity -- and not meant disparagingly -- but why does it matter if the team is new? 

Not to suggest I endorse the idea -- I think Washington 32s or 32ers would be super weird, and far more awkward coming off the tongue than 49ers. 

1 hour ago, spartacat_12 said:

1 hour ago, gosioux76 said:

Out of genuine curiosity -- and not meant disparagingly -- but why does it matter if the team is new? 

I think our cat friend is making a joke.  The Texans were the 32nd team to enter the league, so they could have chosen 32s.  Or something like that.

Not to suggest I endorse the idea -- I think Washington 32s or 32ers would be super weird, and far more awkward coming off the tongue than 49ers. 

Well the whole idea of the name is that the NFL has 32 teams, but it would be more appropriate for the 32nd team to enter the league (Houston), not a franchise that joined the league when there were only 8 teams.

6 minutes ago, spartacat_12 said:

Well the whole idea of the name is that the NFL has 32 teams, but it would be more appropriate for the 32nd team to enter the league (Houston), not a franchise that joined the league when there were only 8 teams.

Ok. I can't tell if you're joking, but I think the idea behind 32s is that the (Washington Football Team) were founded in 1932. 

4 minutes ago, spartacat_12 said:

Washington’s franchise was founded in 1932, then as the Boston Braves. It makes more than enough sense for Washington to consider “32s”/“Thirty-Twos” as a new nickname in an effort to honor the history of team like they want to do. It’s certainly better than “Football Team”.

Ok. I can't tell if you're joking, but I think the idea behind 32s is that the (Washington Football Team) were founded in 1932. 

1 hour ago, DNAsports said:

Washington’s franchise was founded in 1932, then as the Boston Braves. It makes more than enough sense for Washington to consider “32s”/“Thirty-Twos” as a new nickname in an effort to honor the history of team like they want to do. It’s certainly better than “Football Team”.

Ah, I see. That makes more sense.

whoops GIF

3 hours ago, DNAsports said:

Wait until you learn about the Delaware 87ers

Fortunately they rebranded to the Blue Coats.  87ers, 76ers, 49ers, etc. are all stupid names.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

15 minutes ago, QCS said:

Man it's a shame that super clunky name is definitely still being used.

What BBTV said-

14 minutes ago, BBTV said:

Fortunately they rebranded to the Blue Coats.  87ers, 76ers, 49ers, etc. are all stupid names.

At least the 87ers went by “Sevens” until they rebranded. Much more manageable use of identity to go by a singular number. Plus, Philadelphia does it with “Sixers” and San Fran with “Niners”. I’m not sure if Washington could get away safely with shortening 32s to “Twos”. They’d run the obvious risk of poop-centric jokes.

19 minutes ago, DNAsports said:

What BBTV said-

At least the 87ers went by “Sevens” until they rebranded. Much more manageable use of identity to go by a singular number. Plus, Philadelphia does it with “Sixers” and San Fran with “Niners”. I’m not sure if Washington could get away safely with shortening 32s to “Twos”. They’d run the obvious risk of poop-centric jokes.

I am well aware that the 87ers changed a bit ago, I was being sarcastic. I completely agree with what's been said, number names are clunky as all get-out and I generally don't like them.

the user formerly known as cdclt

17 minutes ago, QCS said:

I am well aware that the 87ers changed a bit ago, I was being sarcastic. I completely agree with what's been said, number names are clunky as all get-out and I generally don't like them.

Define “clunky” though. I honestly don’t perceive “76ers” or “49ers” as such. Is it the numeral portion? It’s really no different than any other team name ending in “-ers”, IMO. “32ers” would be one hell of a wonky name, I’ll give you that. “32s/Thirty-Twos” sounds way more fluid and easier to say.

3 minutes ago, DNAsports said:

Define “clunky” though. I honestly don’t perceive “76ers” or “49ers” as such. Is it the numeral portion? It’s really no different than any other team name ending in “-ers”, IMO. “32ers” would be one hell of a wonky name, I’ll give you that. “32s/Thirty-Twos” sounds way more fluid and easier to say.

"87ers" is five syllables. That's a lot of syllables to say, in my opinion, especially when "Delaware" is only three. In my opinion, the closer you can get to two syllables (or one), the better and less clunky the name is. Bonus if the city name is two syllables as well.

the user formerly known as cdclt

Archived