Pro Lacrosse 2020: PLL vs MLL

4_tattoos

COVID strikes MLL. The Connecticut vs Chesapeake semifinal game has been forfeited. Denver vs Boston will now serve as the MLL Championship Game tomorrow on ESPN.

https://majorleaguelacrosse.com/news/2020/7/25/official-announcement-on-2020-mll-playoffs.aspx

Hotter Than July > Thriller

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Boston wins the MLL championship.

SN: Watching the Atlas vs Waterdogs PLL game right now. Those light purple (lavender?) Waterdogs uniforms don't look good in action on TV.

59 minutes ago, 4_tattoos said:

Boston wins the MLL championship.

SN: Watching the Atlas vs Waterdogs PLL game right now. Those light purple (lavender?) Waterdogs uniforms don't look good in action on TV.

I could tell the difference between them and Atlas, but I thought that there wasn't a good enough clash between the two teams. 

2 hours ago, JayMac said:

I could tell the difference between them and Atlas, but I thought that there wasn't a good enough clash between the two teams. 

Actually think PLL adjusted the shade of blue Atlas wears at some point last year. There came a point when their blue began to visually pop more than it did earlier in the season. With that said, such a small league should go out it's way to make sure there is significant clash between the teams' uniforms. The Waterdogs should have probably gone with white secondary uniforms instead of lavender/lilac/faded light purple.

My issue wasn't with clash though. They're uniforms just didn't look good in live action to me.

On topic though: I thought Atlas vs Waterdogs was the best PLL game of the weekend.

22 minutes ago, 4_tattoos said:

On topic though: I thought Atlas vs Waterdogs was the best PLL game of the weekend.

On topic, that was a great game. I think the Waterdogs have a pretty good squad for an expansion team.

Chaos vs Redwoods game postponed to Wednesday due to weather delay in Utah... Atlas vs Archers still supposed to happen sometime tonight after weather clears

Wonder how much longer Paul Rabil intends to play? I think the PLL may truly start to grow once he decides to step away from playing and puts all his energy into the business side of things.

15 hours ago, 4_tattoos said:

Wonder how much longer Paul Rabil intends to play? I think the PLL may truly start to grow once he decides to step away from playing and puts all his energy into the business side of things.

It is also kinda why I can't root for Atlas. I love Trevor Baptiste (I'm a Philadelphia Wings fan) but I guess I'm so petty that I don't like that the founder also being able to play in that league. Rabil shouldn't be forbidden to play and I know there isn't any preferential treatment towards him or his club but I still can't get past that.

11 hours ago, JayMac said:

It is also kinda why I can't root for Atlas. I love Trevor Baptiste (I'm a Philadelphia Wings fan) but I guess I'm so petty that I don't like that the founder also being able to play in that league. Rabil shouldn't be forbidden to play and I know there isn't any preferential treatment towards him or his club but I still can't get past that.

If it makes you feel any better, Atlas was in the bottom half of the league last season. And they look like a middle of the pack kind of team so far this season.

Final day of group play in the PLL Championship Series is tomorrow. Only one game scheduled. A matchup of the only undefeated teams, Whipsnakes vs Archers. Winner gets the number 1 seed in the knockout rounds, and a BYE to the semifinals. Here's the standings as the moment.

SN: This league is clearly not rigged for Paul Rabil's team to be succesful. Atlas has been underachieving hard in the 2 years of the PLL's existence.

https://stats.premierlacrosseleague.com/

League Standings

Team W L T SF SA Diff
Whipsnakes Logo Whipsnakes 3 0 0 40 22 18
Archers Logo Archers 3 0 0 33 29 4
  Chrome 3 1 0 50 45 5
Redwoods Logo Redwoods 2 2 0 39 42 -3
Waterdogs Logo Waterdogs 1 3 0 39 42 -3
Atlas Logo Atlas 1 3 0 37 47 -10
Chaos Logo Chaos 0 4 0 32 43 -11

I was happy to see Chrome have a resurgence this year. It's a shame they couldn't keep the "Chromeback" going. But as @JayMac said, I find it hard to believe Whipsnakes won't take the title. They are too solid on all sides of the ball and teams just struggle to keep up.

I have to say, though, this has been an exciting tournament! I can't wait for them to get back to a full season at some point. Because some of their teams have great personalities that make for good television.

NYCFC - MLS CUP CHAMPIONS - 2021

Thank you all for the informative and interesting thread. It's awesome to see people with different opinions maturely discuss something. I happened upon PPL coverage while watching NHL playoffs on NBCSN. Today I've been reading and learning about the sport. For those having trouble because the PPL teams aren't assigned to a city, I agree it's strange. Try just picking one. Be it because a player(s) you like are on the team, or you like the name or logo or colors, or use a dartboard. If fans can't find a team that they care wins or not, I don't think this format will last. Looking forward to watching the PLL championship tomorrow, and next season, so I can compare the games of both leagues.

Archived