MLS Expansion Club St Louis City SC Unveils Name and Logo

gosioux76

37 minutes ago, DEAD! said:

Kansas City or Philadelphia probably should have considered "Athletic"

I'd imagine that would be even dicier on copyright grounds, though I see your point. Really I'm not wild about any of the ideas that all MLS teams need to pick one of the cliche styles like that. But in this case... STLCSC set a record for clunkiest acronym with a lot of letters, and none of them are A, but that's all I see in that logo.

• Like 4
  • Applause 1
  • LOL 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/8/2022 at 7:10 PM, DEAD! said:

Kansas City or Philadelphia probably should have considered "Athletic"

Think the Union was a fairly good marriage of MLS naming motifs and something that worked for the area on a lot of levels.

Would’ve been interesting though to have Philadelphia Athletic, would that have been possible? Or would it have had some issues?

On 2022-04-17 at 4:03 AM, Kiltman said:

Think the Union was a fairly good marriage of MLS naming motifs and something that worked for the area on a lot of levels.

In a vacuum I'd agree, but it always felt like it would've worked better if they didn't have the original and still definitive MLS United in one direction on I-95 and the original Revolutionary War-themed navy team in the other, as ostensible regional rivals. (Also part of the reason that their long-overdue embrace of Philly city flag colors is so successful, at least for me.)

• Like 1
  • Applause 1

• 1 month later...
On 8/14/2020 at 5:21 PM, CaliforniaGlowin said:

No because there are none.  Train and bus dodgers, yes.  Not trolley.

No thanks to Goodyear, GM and Standard Oil.  Allegedly.

• 2 months later...

Here in St. Louis, the new MLS club is getting ready to unveil Centene Stadium. But one thing I've noticed, and have been pleasantly surprised by, is how frequently they're using the club badge without the sideways CITY wordmark. 

Here's a look inside the team store and on the facade of the team headquarters. If you look closely in the team store image, the wordmark-less badge also appears on some scarves. I'm holding out hope that they use that mark as the jersey crest. 

• Like 8

Yeah they DEFINITELY need to keep that version. I'm loving how the inside of their store is turning out...and of course I got turned on to that colorway back in 2012 when my hometown Blue Wahoos debuted it, so it's already a winner in my eyes.

I think I'd like to see them replace that itty bitty SC with an StL lockup, maybe even topped with a little flour de lis if they can style it to match the rest of the visual language (in other words, don't force it)??

I'm gonna have to get down to ye Olde Lou one of these days once that place opens up...I wanna check it out in person!

• Like 4

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

19 minutes ago, tBBP said:

Yeah they DEFINITELY need to keep that version. I'm loving how the inside of their store is turning out...and of course I got turned on to that colorway back in 2012 when my hometown Blue Wahoos debuted it, so it's already a winner in my eyes.

I think I'd like to see them replace that itty bitty SC with an StL lockup, maybe even topped with a little flour de lis if they can style it to match the rest of the visual language (in other words, don't force it)??

I'm gonna have to get down to ye Olde Lou one of these days once that place opens up...I wanna check it out in person!

It opens this week. Team store opens tomorrow and the first game in the stadium is Sunday featuring their MLS Next side.

1 minute ago, McCall said:

I'm not a soccer fan, but I'm definitely gonna try and get up there to see a game. And maybe, if the XFL 3.0 makes it to 2024, the St. Louis team (BattleHawks?) will be playing there.

The XFL team, presumably to be called BattleHawks, will be playing in the Dome.  I can’t imagine they’ll be doing anything in Centene Stadium other than soccer.

1 hour ago, gosioux76 said:

The XFL team, presumably to be called BattleHawks, will be playing in the Dome.  I can’t imagine they’ll be doing anything in Centene Stadium other than soccer.

When they announced the 2020 BattleHawks, they anticipated them moving into the soccer stadium upon completion. However, I'd assume they'd want City to be the only tennant during the inaugural season. After that, I guess it's kind of up in the air at the moment.

28 minutes ago, McCall said:

When they announced the 2020 BattleHawks, they anticipated them moving into the soccer stadium upon completion. However, I'd assume they'd want City to be the only tennant during the inaugural season. After that, I guess it's kind of up in the air at the moment.

I don't recall that ever being in the plans.  If it was, it was never something formalized, by either the XFL or the owners of the MLS club. I could see why, even speculatively, the XFL in 2020 would favor a smaller, more intimate setting. For one, it lessened the prospects of playing in front of a sea of empty seats. But they eventually had no trouble filling the Dome, which, to be fair, is probably going to be a much cheaper alternative than what I'd expect they'd end up paying to play in the new stadium, were that even an option. 

The logo is obviously better without that awful wordmark, but it still reads like an A. I get it's the arch but with the rivers joining underneath it it reads like nothing but an A. The only thing this team got right was that pink color and even then the stupid inclusions of yellow and gray drag it all down. A more direct translation of St. Louis' flag still would've been the way to go. I hope they can bring their brand around with good kits because pink and navy is a gorgeous color scheme that should be used more often.

• Like 5

the user formerly known as cdclt

8 hours ago, gosioux76 said:

Here in St. Louis, the new MLS club is getting ready to unveil Centene Stadium. But one thing I've noticed, and have been pleasantly surprised by, is how frequently they're using the club badge without the sideways CITY wordmark. 

Here's a look inside the team store and on the facade of the team headquarters. If you look closely in the team store image, the wordmark-less badge also appears on some scarves. I'm holding out hope that they use that mark as the jersey crest. 

Is that the new Atlanta logo?

• Like 1

Logano wins BOWL before Chargers.