MLS Expansion Club St Louis City SC Unveils Name and Logo

gosioux76

The ownership group of the St. Louis Major League Soccer expansion franchise announced today that the  club's name, color and crest will be unveiled Aug. 13. 

https://mls4thelou.com/?fbclid=IwAR0n5WcXSsJc-QIVDbFmmEZJierklSIIXTi5CQaptvuzNbZ5pzsoDcLxTbA

This is notable because I think it's the first solid indication that all of these decisions (name/colors/crest) had actually been made. Some of the club's supporters discovered that the mobile version of the same page linked above initially included a date of July 15 for the event. That suggests they had perhaps intended to make this announcement last week prior to the league's decision to delay the launch of St. Louis, Sacramento and Charlotte by a year each. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, FinsUp1214 said:

I wonder if that crest shape on the page is a silhouette of the actual thing, or a placeholder. I could see how the top of the Gateway Arch could possibly fit within that rising center.

I was wondering the same thing. Feels like a placeholder, but I could be wrong.

I think this club's in a difficult spot when it comes to color choices. It's embraced the colors of the city's flag so far, but it's a color scheme already used by RSL and recently adopted by Chicago Fire. It could work if they embraced yellow, with red and blue as secondary colors, which would give them similar color schemes to the Cardinals and Blues, with all three clubs emphasizing a different primary color.

The drawback is the league already has two primary yellow clubs, including one of its newest, Nashville. 

There are relatively few other color references i can come up with that relate to St. Louis and are unique to the league. The old St.  Louis Stars of the NASL (notable for favoring players from the city's Italian neighborhood, The Hill, over big names from Europe) were a red, white and blue team, of which the league has plenty.  

• Like 2

FC Sporting St. Louis City Athletic United

OK, just kidding.   Not that I am going to root for STL no matter what look they go with, but my hope is that they find a way to pick a unique color palette.  Red + Blue is played out, and even Red-Blue-Gold is already in Chicago and SLC.  Not a lot of unique color combos left to go with, but they could create a unique identity by embracing a jersey element that others don't have yet (half & half, quarters, checkers, diamond pattern, reverse sash (Right shoulder to left hip), or even an Ajax style wide center stripe, since it seems Philly has abandoned that look. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, FinsUp1214 said:

I wonder if that crest shape on the page is a silhouette of the actual thing, or a placeholder. I could see how the top of the Gateway Arch could possibly fit within that rising center.

Filename: CRESTOLDCOLORS.png

Also, sweet Taco Bell nod.

1vEoSvB.png

• Like 2

"If things have gone wrong, I'm talking to myself, and you've got a wet towel wrapped around your head."

37 minutes ago, SFGiants58 said:

I think I’ve come around to St. Louis 1904 or Olympique St. Louis.

Nothing says "we strive for success" like naming yourself after the complete and utter 🤬show that was the 1904 Olympics.

• Like 4

I've got a dribbble, check it out if you like my stuff; alternatively, if you hate my stuff, send it to your enemies to punish their insolence!

3 minutes ago, MDGP said:

Nothing says "we strive for success" like naming yourself after the complete and utter 🤬show that was the 1904 Olympics.

Hey, raw eggs, brandy, and rat poison are perfectly fine stimulants for running a marathon on a hot and humid dirt track! Sure, there’s only one water station, but that’s to test the fit nature of these fine competitors. 😜

spacer.png

That’s my favorite Jon Bois video, except for maybe the Georgia Tech-Cumberland or Mariners chart video collaboration.

I’m fine with the name, as it honors a transformative event for the history of St. Louis and their “peak” as an international city.

• Like 4

I’m not really a soccer fan, but I love the aesthetics of soccer crests and St. Louis is my “sports hometown”, so I’m really interested in St Louis MLS.

Something like the USL look would be fine. Although blue/green kinda feels like it’s the Sounders thing right? I think red/blue/gold would be ideal, but that’s just aping RSL’s colors, which Chicago has already latched onto with their ill received rebrand.

I think a dark cherry red or burgundy and old-gold could look really sharp and it would be a unique color scheme in MLS. 

• Like 1

The way things are looking, they might become a green team, like the USL team. I was an advocate of them wearing brown at one point, but that might be more suitable to the Sacramento club. 

I've come up with a lot of concepts for this team since the conversation for one first began about 12 years ago, I may say since I first even heard of MLS, and I’ve tried out a wide variety of color combos for this hypothetical team. I’m excited to see how the real thing will turn out, and how close it came to any of my "predictions."

I'm a little distraught to hear that their debut will be rolled back a year because of The Cough, but I understand why they have to. I feel a little better knowing that I’ll at least know what they’ll look like soon.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, SFGiants58 said:

Hey, raw eggs, brandy, and rat poison are perfectly fine stimulants for running a marathon on a hot and humid dirt track! Sure, there’s only one water station, but that’s to test the fit nature of these fine competitors. 😜

spacer.png

That’s my favorite Jon Bois video, except for maybe the Georgia Tech-Cumberland or Mariners chart video collaboration.

I’m fine with the name, as it honors a transformative event for the history of St. Louis and their “peak” as an international city.

The crazy part is that the marathon isn't even nearly the worst part of those Olympics. That would be the Anthropology Days, which were a wildly racist display designed by the organizers to pit non-white competitors from around the world taken from the "human zoo" at the World's Fair, and push their theories of white supremacy.

• Like 3

I've got a dribbble, check it out if you like my stuff; alternatively, if you hate my stuff, send it to your enemies to punish their insolence!

3 minutes ago, MDGP said:

The crazy part is that the marathon isn't even nearly the worst part of those Olympics. That would be the Anthropology Days, which were a wildly racist display designed by the organizers to pit non-white competitors from around the world taken from the "human zoo" at the World's Fair, and push their theories of white supremacy.

Oh, I’m very familiar with the scientific racism angle of the whole affair. It’s one of the first stages in the popularization of eugenics/scientific racism throughout the world.

Heck, the Anthropology Days were why two black South African athletes made it to the disastrous marathon (and finished it)!

Thinking about it more, blue/red/yellow not only works because it matches the Cardinals, but it can be blue for the city's French heritage and red and yellow for its German heritage. I'm not really sure where green comes into play for St. Louis. Italians? Their big color is blue too. Forest Park?

• Like 2

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

God I cannot believe AC St. Louis was a full decade ago. I was under the impression that the green on those teams was just a coincidence, the classic idea of picking your team’s color scheme because it looks nice. Probably won’t fly in current MLS... the copywriter union will throw a fit. I like that the current one did green plus blue more like that brief Arsenal away kit that’s always been a favorite, and less like the Sounders. 

Showcasing fan-made sports apparel by artists and designers