MLS Expansion Club St Louis City SC Unveils Name and Logo

gosioux76

The only name I’ve liked so far is Olympique but that’s almost impossible due to the IOC. As for the colors, the best way they can use the city colors would be like the original red trim Blues. Blue and yellow with a touch of red is a bit similar to that Rapids Colorado flag away kit but they’ve pushed the city flag so hard I can’t see them abandoning it. 

• Like 2
07Giants.pngnyy.png

7 hours ago, UnclearInitial said:

The only name I’ve liked so far is Olympique but that’s almost impossible due to the IOC. As for the colors, the best way they can use the city colors would be like the original red trim Blues. Blue and yellow with a touch of red is a bit similar to that Rapids Colorado flag away kit but they’ve pushed the city flag so hard I can’t see them abandoning it. 

I agree with this. Red, blue, and yellow also ties them in color-wise with the. Cardinals and Blues. I really like the green/navy blue/white color scheme of STLFC, and I think it’s different enough from the Sounders to have its own identity in MLS. Since the Rams left, St. Louis sport teams have bonded together as a way of showing how good of a sports town St. Louis is. I think the club colors will stay in the lane of the other teams in the city. I sort of wonder if this new St. Louis club will look to Barcelona for kit design ideas. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, BC985 said:

I agree with this. Red, blue, and yellow also ties them in color-wise with the. Cardinals and Blues. I really like the green/navy blue/white color scheme of STLFC, and I think it’s different enough from the Sounders to have its own identity in MLS. Since the Rams left, St. Louis sport teams have bonded together as a way of showing how good of a sports town St. Louis is. I think the club colors will stay in the lane of the other teams in the city. I sort of wonder if this new St. Louis club will look to Barcelona for kit design ideas. 

I agree with you 100%. I'm hoping they stick with the color scheme, but can find differentiation in the specific hues they choose (rhyming!). A Navy and yellow, with red accents would be nice. Or channel Liverpool and lean into red and yellow, with blue as an accent. It can work. 

• Like 3

I sure hope it's Sacramento Republic, that sounds great and slots in nicely with Philadelphia Union and Columbus Crew. Maybe one day we'll have San Antonio Military Junta.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

14 minutes ago, PlayGloria said:

What did Charles LIndbergh do that would upset people? Honest to god, I have no idea... just curious

Many describe him as a Nazi sympathizer. Others say he was simply a "pro-German" World War II isolationist. Seems like splitting hairs to me. 

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/videos/category/history/charles-lindbergh-and-the-rise-of-1940s-nazi_1/

https://www.bbc.com/news/av/magazine-22684773/charles-lindbergh-the-nazis-and-american-isolationism

• Like 3

Since Mitchell & Ness puts out Spirits of St. Louis merch, someone owns and is licensing that trademark. I doubt MLS wants to go down that legal branding road, so I don’t think we’ll have to worry about Charles Lindbergh hurdles. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, BC985 said:

Since Mitchell & Ness puts out Spirits of St. Louis merch, someone owns and is licensing that trademark. I doubt MLS wants to go down that legal branding road, so I don’t think we’ll have to worry about Charles Lindbergh hurdles. 

The mark is owned by the NBA Properties, but prior to that it was the domain of the Silna family, the owners of the Spirits who famously struck a sweetheart deal during the NBA/ABA merger to receive one-seventh of the TV revenue generated by the four ABA teams absorbed into the NBA. 

Probably more than you wanted to know, but I'm a nerd about this stuff. 

https://www.nytimes.com/2016/04/28/sports/basketball/ozzie-silna-savvy-owner-of-the-st-louis-spirits-is-dead-at-83.html

• Like 4

I just gotta say I'm most likely going to be excited regardless of what the identity package ends up looking like. Just stay away from stuff like "St. Louis Steamers" or "St. Louis Stars" and we'll be good. 

I'll reiterate the Olympique St. Louis is the best option even if it's impossible. And RE: Discussions of those Olympics, the cultural and architectural impact of the St. Louis Olympics are still very present in Forest Park even independently of the actual things that happened at that event. As someone else said, it's also more a hearkening back to the era where St. Louis was a pinnacle city in the United States. 

• Like 1

MZnWkGU.png

StL Cardinals - Indy Colts - Indiana Pacers - Let's Go Blues! - Missouri State Bears - IU Hoosiers - St Louis City SC

2 hours ago, PlayGloria said:

What did Charles LIndbergh do that would upset people? Honest to god, I have no idea... just curious

At best, he didn't want the United States to enter World War II. At worst, he loved Hitler.

• Like 4

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

I really like the idea of using red/blue/yellow again but making yellow the dominant color. Might be tricky to pull off, but it's like that briefly-lived RSL away kit that was better than their usual teamwear boring white ones.

Showcasing fan-made sports apparel by artists and designers

I've also come around to hoping they stick to red, blue and yellow. But I'd prefer they embrace red and yellow, a la Liverpool, with blue as a tertiary accent color. 

52 minutes ago, Maroon said:

I'll reiterate the Olympique St. Louis is the best option even if it's impossible. And RE: Discussions of those Olympics, the cultural and architectural impact of the St. Louis Olympics are still very present in Forest Park even independently of the actual things that happened at that event. As someone else said, it's also more a hearkening back to the era where St. Louis was a pinnacle city in the United States. 

As a St. Louis resident for a year and a half, I've come to learn that this city has a sense of nostalgia like no other. But you could also argue that all that looking backward has a lot to do with the present not being so fantastic. That said, I wouldn't mind something that embraces looking forward rather than back. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, gosioux76 said:

Many describe him as a Nazi sympathizer. Others say he was simply a "pro-German" World War II isolationist. Seems like splitting hairs to me. 

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/videos/category/history/charles-lindbergh-and-the-rise-of-1940s-nazi_1/

https://www.bbc.com/news/av/magazine-22684773/charles-lindbergh-the-nazis-and-american-isolationism

Thanks for the info. I honestly had no idea. Well I guess the dream is over haha

• Like 1

MLS4TheLou shared some logos for some of the more outlandish/fun suggestions that came in from fans (also, for those not in the know, the local supporter group St. Louligans has been a strong proponent of Lazer Snakes)

• Like 2

MZnWkGU.png

StL Cardinals - Indy Colts - Indiana Pacers - Let's Go Blues! - Missouri State Bears - IU Hoosiers - St Louis City SC

4 minutes ago, Maroon said:

MLS4TheLou shared some logos for some of the more outlandish/fun suggestions that came in from fans (also, for those not in the know, the local supporter group St. Louligans has been a strong proponent of Lazer Snakes)

For the record, the Louligans' support of Lazersnakes has been entirely tongue in cheek. They also make references to chupacabras in at least one of the gameday songs, so these are largely a nod to the local supporters culture.