MLS Expansion Club St Louis City SC Unveils Name and Logo

gosioux76

38 minutes ago, FiddySicks said:

You lost me completely when you eliminated the most superior name of all time, the St. Louis LazerSnakes.

#HawtTaek

MofnV2z.png

The CCSLC's resident Geelong Cats fan.

Viva La Vida or Death And All His Friends. Sounds like something from a Rocky & Bullwinkle story arc.

16 hours ago, FiddySicks said:

You lost me completely when you eliminated the most superior name of all time, the St. Louis LazerSnakes.

• Like 1

MZnWkGU.png

StL Cardinals - Indy Colts - Indiana Pacers - Let's Go Blues! - Missouri State Bears - IU Hoosiers - St Louis City SC

I like the name Confluence because I went to the Mississippi-Missouri River Confluence last month when I visited STL but I know I'm in the vast minority so I'd say Gateway FC makes the most sense. Leave Spirits for the NBA and Archers for the NFL. On a side note, their stadium looks terrible. Always has since they moved it across the street. It's going to be one of those stadiums that is outdated before they even break ground.

1 hour ago, Maroon said:

TODAY IS THE DAY!!!

MLS4TheLou shared their cardboard cutout audience picture last night:

I submitted a photo of myself before they they closed it off, but never heard if I'm out there somewhere... hopefully my mug is in the stands somewhere!

Pretty unique colours, but yet another generic name. Also it was a missed opportunity to not incorporate the arch into the shape of the badge. The shape of the curve at the top doesn't even match the shape of the arch.

• Like 2

If that leak is real (and it seems like it is based on other things out there) I really like the colors and the crest design itself. As I've expressed before, I dislike the "City" designation specifically because of local sentiments. But based on their promotional videos to this point, they seem to be leaning into the concept that the entire metro area is the "city" - which, even if that's not right, could fly in terms of a regional unity kinda way. I don't mind the "generic" feel of the name as much considering there's only two other MLS teams with "City" in their name, so it's not like just ever other SC or FC in the league.

I'd give it a 7/10 between name and crest. But to be honest I'll end up loving it in the end regardless.

• Like 2

MZnWkGU.png

StL Cardinals - Indy Colts - Indiana Pacers - Let's Go Blues! - Missouri State Bears - IU Hoosiers - St Louis City SC

I love the colors. I love that they found a unique shade of red and blue that's unique to the league and fits in nicely with the city's other sports teams.

But that name. OOF. 

As I've mentioned before, this is a metro area in which the relationships between the city of St. Louis and St. Louis County can be described, at best, as fractious. There have been movements afoot for years to merge the two into one larger government entity. Naming the club "City" strikes me as a little tone deaf locally. 

There are parts the badge that works. But I'd argue that a design that forces you to place words sideways isn't a good design. Again, as I've said before, I'm a big proponent of badges that don't need words. I'd like to seethe Arch/Rivers iconography inside the badge completed, and what it would look like without the words. I think it would be a thing of beauty. 

• Like 7

8 minutes ago, WideRight said:

What exactly are the lines "below" the arch supposed to be?  Is that the confluence of the 2 rivers?  Looks more like fields of grain. 

The video they showed in the announcement definitely says it's the confluence of the rivers.

• Like 1

MZnWkGU.png

8 minutes ago, WideRight said:

What exactly are the lines "below" the arch supposed to be?  Is that the confluence of the 2 rivers?  Looks more like fields of grain. 

Yes, I believe so. 

And the red appears to be the same magenta/deep pink-ish hue that they've been using in recent social media posts. Except there it was paired with yellow, which I wouldn't be surprised to see appear as a tertiary color. 

• Like 1

Yet again, a generic name that's already used enough repeatedly in the league. This doesn't feel like the right path for MLS to take, to me. Made considerably worse by the specific fraughtness of STL's city/county dynamic.

I do like how the logo is put together, though it feels like it will get dated quickly, and there's little to latch onto in terms of a brand. Interesting choice on the red, hopefully that plus a good jersey design will set them off from Chicago, Dallas and RSL.

• Like 3

Showcasing fan-made sports apparel by artists and designers

3 minutes ago, Digby said:

Yet again, a generic name that's already used enough repeatedly in the league. This doesn't feel like the right path for MLS to take, to me. Made considerably worse by the specific fraughtness of STL's city/county dynamic.

I do like the logo, even though it feels like it will get dated quickly. Interesting choice on the red, hopefully that plus a good jersey design will set them off from Chicago, Dallas and RSL.

THIS. It is not a good badge. Having the arch in there makes sense. I really think they should have worked in the Apotheosis of Saint Louis.