Cleveland Spiders

burgundy

With the news of Cleveland changing their name, I figured I'd take a shot at a redesign. I had actually made a Cleveland Spiders identity for a fantasy team years ago, and I've carried a few elements from that over and combined it with the look of the real Cleveland team. I made the block C more square to better fit a spider web inside of it, and aligned the ends of the C with the diagonal lines of the web. I continued this angled end motif throughout the numbers, Cleveland wordmark, and Spiders script. For the uniforms, I kept them fairly similar to what they have been wearing, but I made the home set more red heavy, like what they wore from 1994-2001. I included a semi-throwback to the Cleveland Naps, turning the grey uniform they wore into cream so it can be worn at home.

spacer.png

spacer.png

I would give this a 99/100. I really like it.  Really enjoy the angled serifs that are tied in the lines of the web.

I think the red jersey needs white outlines around the wordmark and numbers (a la Cleveland's red jerseys of the last few years). And the white outline around the C (on the hat) may not be needed, though it doesn't look bad as is. 

Those are my only complaints. Outline stuff.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

As others have said in the Sports Logos thread, this is far and away the best Cleveland Spiders concept I have seen. It makes it a shame that they likely won’t go with something like this. 

I agree with @WSU151, the only thing I would maybe change would be to add white outlines on the red jersey, or maybe go with white letters and a navy outline. Other than that, this is a really great set.

I would love to see you take on the rest of Major League Baseball, if you’re up for it!

Nice concept! I'll echo what others have said about the red alt needing white outlines on the name and numbers. 

Conversely, I'd remove the white outline from the cap logo--I think it muddies up the logo design. I'm picturing something close to the design below:

spacer.png

Thanks for the input everybody. I updated the red jersey with white outlines, and I tried 3 different things with the hat logo. For the first one I kept the white outline, but made the lines of the web thinner. For the second I removed the outline and made the thinner web red. For the third option I made the outline and web a slightly lighter blue, so that it's more of a texture that's only seen up close.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Great concept BUT.........dear I say it, Black would be better than Navy

MetsChiefsEspnSig.gif

College sports as we know them are just about dead. The lid is off on all the corruption that taints just about every major program and every decision that the schools or the NCAA make is only about money, money, and more money. We'll have three 16+ team super-conferences sooner rather than later, killing much of the regional flair and traditional rivalries that make college sports unique and showing the door to any school that doesn't bring money to the table in the process. Pretty soon the smaller schools are going to have to consider forming their own sanctioning body to keep the true spirit of college sports alive because the NCAA will only get worse in it's excess from here

On 12/16/2020 at 8:50 PM, burgundy said:

With the news of Cleveland changing their name, I figured I'd take a shot at a redesign. I had actually made a Cleveland Spiders identity for a fantasy team years ago, and I've carried a few elements from that over and combined it with the look of the real Cleveland team. I made the block C more square to better fit a spider web inside of it, and aligned the ends of the C with the diagonal lines of the web. I continued this angled end motif throughout the numbers, Cleveland wordmark, and Spiders script. For the uniforms, I kept them fairly similar to what they have been wearing, but I made the home set more red heavy, like what they wore from 1994-2001. I included a semi-throwback to the Cleveland Naps, turning the grey uniform they wore into cream so it can be worn at home.

spacer.png

I like it, except I think they should adopt a whole new color scheme when they change their name. Navy and red is sorely overused, and the black and grey of the historical Spiders wouldn’t work with the White Sox in their division. Someone once made a brown and red Spiders mockup on here that looked pretty good. I think brown would look good for a team called the Spiders - although who knows, it may just be because I was bitten by a brown recluse my freshman year of college. 

16 hours ago, MCM0313 said:

I like it, except I think they should adopt a whole new color scheme when they change their name. Navy and red is sorely overused, and the black and grey of the historical Spiders wouldn’t work with the White Sox in their division. Someone once made a brown and red Spiders mockup on here that looked pretty good. I think brown would look good for a team called the Spiders - although who knows, it may just be because I was bitten by a brown recluse my freshman year of college. 

I think the likelihood of Cleveland or any other team adopting a color scheme that uses brown is extremely unlikely now that the Padres have returned to their classic colors. But I do agree that a very deep brown and bright red colorway would look excellent.

13 hours ago, coco1997 said:

I think the likelihood of Cleveland or anything other team adopting a color scheme that uses brown is extremely unlikely now that the Padres have returned to their classic colors. But I do agree that a very deep brown and bright red colorway would look excellent.

Unfortunately I agree. I think one brown team per league could work fine, but the Padres might not feel the same way. 

The only current “Spiders” sports team I know of is Richmond, which also uses navy and red. Cleveland has so many possibilities with that name. They could very well come up with a color scheme that is unique to MLB, even if it doesn’t include brown. But they probably won’t. 

I simplified the web on the logo, and I think it works better for the hat logo, but the primary logo needs the extra ring of webbing. I also added an outline to the red spider hat, and I'm not sure if I like it. I tried a version with brown as well, still keeping the heavy use of red to separate them from the Padres.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

6 hours ago, burgundy said:

I simplified the web on the logo, and I think it works better for the hat logo, but the primary logo needs the extra ring of webbing. I also added an outline to the red spider hat, and I'm not sure if I like it. I tried a version with brown as well, still keeping the heavy use of red to separate them from the Padres.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Top notch concept, man! I'm digging the webbing within the block C and the white outline around the spider works much better. However I'm in disagreement with some on ditching navy. I like this in both black and navy. But for the sake of keeping with tradition, I think keeping navy is a good way to link past with present. Either way, this concept looks great in both color schemes and I'm absolutely a fan of them becoming the Spiders. Also those cream color uniforms are DOPE!

NYCFC - MLS CUP CHAMPIONS - 2021

11 hours ago, ThePonderer said:

Top notch concept, man! I'm digging the webbing within the block C and the white outline around the spider works much better. However I'm in disagreement with some on ditching navy. I like this in both black and navy. But for the sake of keeping with tradition, I think keeping navy is a good way to link past with present. Either way, this concept looks great in both color schemes and I'm absolutely a fan of them becoming the Spiders. Also those cream color uniforms are DOPE!

The cream uniforms could be the base of a whole other set. Change the navy to crimson and have crimson and cream be your colors. Like Indiana and Oklahoma do in theory, except they generally wear white. 

Archived