Cleveland Baseball Team

BobbyB

Here are a couple logo ideas for the rebrand of the Cleveland Indians. I went with the two most common names I've seen thrown around on social media since the announcement and tried to come up with simple but bold logo options. Please let me know any feedback on these ideas and if you feel like the logomarks and color schemes are working.

Guardians:

I liked the idea of referencing the design of the helmet on the "guardian" statue from this bridge in Cleveland and applying it to the "C". I wanted the overall form to feel fast and sharp. I think the one thing that could be tricky with an asymmetrical form like this is how to center it on the cap, but in general I'm happy with the concept. I used the "wine & gold" color scheme to align to the Cavaliers (I personally like when cities align the color palettes of their sports teams).

spacer.png

Spiders:

After I started sketching ideas for this logo I realized that a spider is a much tougher form to work with than I originally thought. Here are some of the other iterations I explored:

spacer.png

I ended up using a concept that I think works well but that feels like a pretty obvious solution (I literally logged on to start this post and saw someone else with a Cleveland Spiders design that is essentially the exact same concept). Maybe I will keep riffing and try to come up with a more original solution to this. I really like the idea of incorporating the form of spider legs within the C letter form as a way of hinting at a spider without being too literal. Here are some half-baked sketches of what I am referring to.

spacer.png

Anyway, here is where I'm at with it currently. I used the dark charcoal gray and red color scheme similar to the old Cleveland Spiders branding.

gB1sXwH.jpg

Let me know if you guys have any feedback. Thanks!

These are looking good, I really like what you came up with for the Guardians logo. There have been a lot of Spiders concepts recently (I even contributed one as well not long ago), so I get how it can be difficult to be good and original; a lot people have basic ideas for a good look but they're all pretty similar. so finding a new spin on it can be tricky. I think you could be on to something really good and unique; the Center C logo I think offers the most promise. If I can offer a suggestion, perhaps include a 4th line on the outside (spiders have 8 legs after all) and maybe have them come to points at the ends like the left one did.

Sportslogo-Forum-Signature-2.png

If you can add a fourth line to the left “C” and have top and bottom come to points, I think that would be very sharp and original.  The lines would probably have to be thinned out a bit, but might give it an art-deco look.  The art-deco look could be a nod to the Guardians concept as the Hope Memorial Bridge is referred to as an Art Deco Truss bridge.

Then perhaps a spider w/ baseball as body with the same general line design (sharp angles coming to points) as a secondary logo.  

• 6 months later...

With the news that the team has picked a name and the rumors pointing toward Guardians, I wanted to say that this is easily the coolest concept I’ve seen in term of the monogram/cap logo. The statue face is hard to turn into a good logo, but this uses the Art Deco beautifully to make a distinct identity. No way the franchise is smart enough to do something like this.

On 2020-12-22 at 8:44 AM, BobbyB said:

Here are a couple logo ideas for the rebrand of the Cleveland Indians. I went with the two most common names I've seen thrown around on social media since the announcement and tried to come up with simple but bold logo options. Please let me know any feedback on these ideas and if you feel like the logomarks and color schemes are working.

Guardians:

I liked the idea of referencing the design of the helmet on the "guardian" statue from this bridge in Cleveland and applying it to the "C". I wanted the overall form to feel fast and sharp. I think the one thing that could be tricky with an asymmetrical form like this is how to center it on the cap, but in general I'm happy with the concept. I used the "wine & gold" color scheme to align to the Cavaliers (I personally like when cities align the color palettes of their sports teams).

spacer.png

Spiders:

After I started sketching ideas for this logo I realized that a spider is a much tougher form to work with than I originally thought. Here are some of the other iterations I explored:

spacer.png

I ended up using a concept that I think works well but that feels like a pretty obvious solution (I literally logged on to start this post and saw someone else with a Cleveland Spiders design that is essentially the exact same concept). Maybe I will keep riffing and try to come up with a more original solution to this. I really like the idea of incorporating the form of spider legs within the C letter form as a way of hinting at a spider without being too literal. Here are some half-baked sketches of what I am referring to.

spacer.png

Anyway, here is where I'm at with it currently. I used the dark charcoal gray and red color scheme similar to the old Cleveland Spiders branding.

gB1sXwH.jpg

Let me know if you guys have any feedback. Thanks!

Your Guardians concept is incredible. I’m always amazed at the concepts board members come up with. It’s baffling the direction pro teams go in sometimes, when there’s a wealth of design talent here. The tie in to the Crusaders colour scheme was very well thought out too.

I’m not so keen on the Spiders concepts, but that’s likely due to how good the Guardian design is and not in any relation to the actual designs.

Edit. As for centring the logo, I think you went for the best option by aligning the C with the middle seem.

• 2 weeks later...

Didn't see this the first time around when you posted it, but these are really great!

For the Guardians concept, the execution of the wing and incorporation into the C are really excellent, and I like the inlines and the Cavs colors. If you were concerned with the left-right imbalance, or wanted to make it more distinct from the Cubs C, you might consider adding slab serifs to the C.

Not feeling the rest of them as much, but that second RWB Spiders concept is really beautiful. It's got a really nice '70s vibe to it, and it avoids the Spiderman similarities that exist in many Spiders concepts (including your first RWB logo... It's well-executed too, but it has that concern.)

Turn that spider web logo into a roundel for a sleeve logo to pair with it, and you've got a top-tier logo set!

Excellent work!

Archived