Software used for designs?

Cola

I have plenty of designs I have made over the years and have used various software titles- but some of my designs don't look so "clear" as some of yours do. I use Adobe PS 7.0 and PSP 7, is there something else that many designers use that I am not aware of? Hope I'm not looking stupid here- just hoping someone can help a beginner...

Also, could someone be kind enough to explain vector art and the pros/cons of using it. It just seems that some of the designs on here I see could actually appear as an actualy logo (which Im guessing is vector)...but then some look like work done by a 5th grader in Microsoft Paint. Anyways, info will be appreciated...

Also, could someone be kind enough to explain vector art and the pros/cons of using it. It just seems that some of the designs on here I see could actually appear as an actualy logo (which Im guessing is vector)...but then some look like work done by a 5th grader in Microsoft Paint. Anyways, info will be appreciated...

i did my best explaining here, not the best, but i guess its better than nothing :)

other topic

Raster art ("painting" programs) use pixels that are told what color to be. These get the "stair-step" effect if you try to increase their size, because essentially, it just makes each pixel bigger.

Vector art ("drawing" programs) use a series of mathmatical equations to describe a picture, using geometrical shapes, etc. Vector art scales up and down perfectly because it just increases the math by a size ratio.

Vector art is best for logos because they are used in so many ways, small, large, etc.

I use Corel Draw and I'm dang proud of it! :D

Seriously, I know that I'll get scalped by others on this board but I've used Corel for about 7 years and its never let me down. Black and white, spot color or 4 color---it's the software you need! (Unpaid advertisement) :D

cfg.jpg41QN7ATP9VL._AA280_.jpg

PSP doesnt do vector art, at least not my version :P

This is a widely-spread misconception.  PSP doesn't call it vectors, but the "node editing" is, basically, working with vectors.

The problem is, you can't save out in any vectored formats, aside from PSP's internal format.

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ BrandedBehance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

So from the responses I have recieved Adobe Illustrator would be the winner...with a "sketchy" opinion of Corel Draw- I'll check into that. I wanna do something quick so I can get my logos up and get some opinions...thanks for the help fellas

So then Adobe PhotoShop isn't the way to go then I see.

I used that at the start. It's every bit as good as PSP 7 IMHO.

I still use it to get concepts out of my head and onto the computer... it's a lot easier to paint rough concepts than to try and flesh them out in Illustrator.

Oh, and if you've used any raster programs before (and if you've done any graphics on computers, you probably have), Illustrator and Draw can be tough to wrap your head around. It's a whole new way of thinking.

Representing Adobe Illustrator 10 and Photoshop 7,

I'm SyPhi

WINnipegSigBanner.gif

MS PAINT!

word hommie  :P

MS PAINT KICKS THE MAJOR BOTTAY. actually id really liek to learn other program like Paint SHop Pro or Illustrator..its just this damn computer.... (and we all know about the color problem of this old bastard  :laugh:  )

untitled-1.png

Illustrator/Photoshop on a hot Mac are the way to go. PSP and Corel Draw are ok for some things, but if you are taking things to a print shop, they'll look at you with evil eyes if you don't bring in files done in Illustrator/Photoshop/Freehand/Quark XPress.

Adobe Illustrator is the industry standard for this type of work.  If I may impart a bit of advice though from one designer to another, I've had lots of frustration getting used to Illustrator so I cheat.  I draw my ideas out in Macromedia Flash.  It's a much more intuitive way to work for people who are comfortable sketching on paper.  You lay down a line or circle or square or whatever.  Then bend it to your desired shape or move corners wherever you want.  Plus you still have the ability to use layers like PS or AI.  Once you are done you can group your logo design and copy/paste it into Illustrator.  Works for me anyway.

The Official Cheese-Filled Snack of NASCAR

Archived