USFL 2023 Season

Skycast

2 hours ago, infrared41 said:

Yes, I choose to ignore it because it's really :censored:ing weird. Something being "a thing" doesn't legitimize it or make it any less crazy. Outside of parents and maybe relatives who have kids on the team, people who live and die with the performance of 16 year olds have serious issues.

With regard to Hilliard fans cheering for a team called the Wolverines, the only ones who would give a flying :censored: about the name of a high school team are the lunatics you seem to be defending. The type of person who goes that far with sports has way bigger issues than some high school team that shares its name with a college rival. Seriously, does this stuff make sense in your head before you post it? I ask because out here in reality, it sounds pretty silly.

So your argument is putting a team where a stadium is cheap, available, and actually draws a crowd once in a while is a desperate move. Yeah, it makes much more sense for a team called the New jersey Generals to play their home games in Canton, Ohio. That aside, I couldn't care less about Canton getting its own USFL team. All I said was "if this happens they have to call them the Bulldogs" and I was 96% joking when I said it.

No, they really don't. I live in a small city. The most popular football team in this city isn't either of the High School teams (one public, one parochial), the most popular football team here is by far and away the Cleveland Browns, followed by the Ohio State Buckeyes, Pittsburgh Steelers, and as much as it pains me to say it, Michigan Wolverines. The Catholic school here is a perennial Division VI powerhouse. People are happy for them, but that's about as far as it goes. In fact, the crowds for their games are usually around 60% capacity. Sometimes less. And capacity is around 2900.

Nope. You mentioned the stadium like it would be some foreign concept to me. I simply pointed out that I'd been there. I mentioned the games because I wanted to point out that I've never been to a High School game there. That's it.

Did you think throwing out that you've been on the field for a USFL game legitimized your point or something? I've been on the field or in the press box for MLB games, NFL Games, NCAA football games, the NCAA Basketball Tournament, Minor League Baseball and Hockey, and more high school games than I can remember.  I've seen more adults act like ass-holes at High School games than anyone should ever be subjected to which leads me to my final point.

I still stand by what I said about High School football.

You're a moderator on a sports logo website. More people would think you're ****ing nuts than anyone attending a high school game. 

7 hours ago, MJWalker45 said:

I also found it weird that some people are suggesting that they move the Maulers to Columbus because HCS has yellow and black seats. If the USFL doesn't  think they can get enough fans in the stadium to make Acrisure worth the cost, then maybe they should drop trying to use only USFL names as a selling point. 

NFL probably still owns the name. 

Years ago when NFL Properties became a separate entity, they set out and started taking ownership of old team names. They rarely actually sell anything with those names/logos, but it's been a thing. And the problem is, even if they don't explicitly own a name, they're going to sue anyone using it anyways. Most any other league is going to avoid the hassle even if they have a valid claim.

Recently the ELF made arrangements with NFL to use old NFL Europe team names. But that's because European trademark law is a bit different than US, and I doubt they were really able to stop them. Plus, better to be chummy with the 9000 pound gorilla in the football universe than to piss them off. Though they're not using any of the old logos.

Though, NFL has been slowly making in roads into Germany with actual NFL games, at some point in the long distant future the NFL may want those names back. And whatever agreement signed might let them if/when they actually field real teams again in something NFL-backed.

4 minutes ago, GDAWG said:

I am predicting a New Orleans hub for 2023, at Tulane University for the Breakers and Gamblers, leaving Memphis and Birmingham all by themselves at their respective stadiums, which would be a significant step forward.

This has been a pretty common prediction. It makes sense in terms of facility. Yulman Stadium is a great stadium that's perfectly sized (30k) for USFL in what many consider a major city (NO isn't but due to it's spot as a vacation/tourist mecca, most people consider it a major city). Yulman would be far cheaper than the Superdome, better handle the crowd, and having been to the SuperDome, it's really not a great stadium to see a game in. The endzone corners block part of the endzone view from the stands unless you're front row.

And though incredibly few, the number of Houstonians that might actually drive east to see a game, or those in the region that have Houston ties, would fare better than a hub in Birmingham or Memphis. Still, they use the Houston name for TV viewership alone.

2 hours ago, Sykotyk said:

You're a moderator on a sports logo website. More people would think you're ****ing nuts than anyone attending a high school game. 

Yes I am and if people like you who live and die with 16 year olds playing football think I'm :censored:ing nuts, I'm fine with it. What would concern me more is if you weirdos didn't think I'm :censored:ing nuts.

• Like 5
  • Dislike 1

BB52Big.jpg

2 hours ago, Sykotyk said:

This has been a pretty common prediction. It makes sense in terms of facility. Yulman Stadium is a great stadium that's perfectly sized (30k) for USFL in what many consider a major city (NO isn't but due to it's spot as a vacation/tourist mecca, most people consider it a major city). Yulman would be far cheaper than the Superdome, better handle the crowd, and having been to the SuperDome, it's really not a great stadium to see a game in. The endzone corners block part of the endzone view from the stands unless you're front row.

And though incredibly few, the number of Houstonians that might actually drive east to see a game, or those in the region that have Houston ties, would fare better than a hub in Birmingham or Memphis. Still, they use the Houston name for TV viewership alone.

USFL President Darryl Johnston has said that while the hub system will remain in 2024, not all teams will be in the same hubs as they were this season.  That hints to me that there will be at least one more hub, with New Orleans more likely than Philly or New Jersey.  My prediction is also that the Generals and Stars stay where they are, with Memphis and Birmingham finally getting those stadiums all on their own.  I believe the Detroit and Canton hubs remain the same.  

1 hour ago, infrared41 said:

Yes I am and if people like you who live and die with 16 year olds playing football think I'm :censored:ing nuts, I'm fine with it. What would concern me more is if you weirdos didn't think I'm :censored:ing nuts.

What's your obsession with 16 year olds? You know most people are in high school until they're 18, right? And yet college fans fawn over any true freshman doing anything on the college field. But I'm guessing you don't have a problem with that. 

57 minutes ago, Sykotyk said:

What's your obsession with 16 year olds? You know most people are in high school until they're 18, right? And yet college fans fawn over any true freshman doing anything on the college field. But I'm guessing you don't have a problem with that. 

Obsession? Nice try, now  :censored: off with that nonsense. 16 is what I figured the median age on a high school football team would be.  Would you prefer I'd said 17 year olds? (Which is still every bit as :censored:ing weird as being a fanboy of 16 year olds.) There's a huge difference between a college freshman and a junior in high school and I'd like to think you know that, but I can't say I'm confident that you do.  For the record I don't "fawn" over true freshman in college either. Mostly because I don't "fawn" over anything sports related. But I especially don't fawn over 16 and 17 year olds (and the occasional 18 year old) playing high school football. But that's just me...well, me and the overwhelming majority of well adjusted adults.

• Like 2

BB52Big.jpg

3 hours ago, infrared41 said:

Obsession? Nice try, now  :censored: off with that nonsense. 16 is what I figured the median age on a high school football team would be.  Would you prefer I'd said 17 year olds? (Which is still every bit as :censored:ing weird as being a fanboy of 16 year olds.) There's a huge difference between a college freshman and a junior in high school and I'd like to think you know that, but I can't say I'm confident that you do.  For the record I don't "fawn" over true freshman in college either. Mostly because I don't "fawn" over anything sports related. But I especially don't fawn over 16 and 17 year olds (and the occasional 18 year old) playing high school football. But that's just me...well, me and the overwhelming majority of well adjusted adults.

This is where I know i hit a nerve. Never said you did. But you defended it anyways. I said:

And yet college fans fawn over any true freshman doing anything on the college field. But I'm guessing you don't have a problem with that. 

Was referencing other people and your insistence to be angry. You also admit you're mad about something you don't know enough about to even form an opinion. But anger is your natural response.

Most any HS team would be seniors, and they start turning 18 at... guess what, when school starts. Before school even starts in the fall (my school had a mid-june cutoff). Most 'starters' for a HS team are going to be seniors. The rest would be juniors with the rare sophomore here or there. But your focus is on the absolute youngest you'd expect to see. Now, that's weird. What's your obsession with it?

You mad about gymnastics in the Olympics? They actually had to change the rules to stop 14 year olds from competing. Yet most of America went gaga in 96 over the Olympic team because a girl hurt her foot to win gold.

• Yawn 1

I sense that this will be the last year of the hubs for the USFL.  If they go as I predict and add a 5th hub (I predicted New Orleans with the Breakers and Gamblers), that leaves two teams by themselves, which is a good thing for the USFL and a sign of progress in getting teams into their regular markets. 

46 minutes ago, Sykotyk said:

This is where I know i hit a nerve. Never said you did. But you defended it anyways. I said:

"Hit a nerve." Please. Don't flatter yourself. And I didn't defend anything.  I said I don't fawn over anything in sports. Other people might and that's really weird too, but I don't. I can only speak for myself on that matter.

You also admit you're mad about something you don't know enough about to even form an opinion. But anger is your natural response.

Quote me "admitting I'm mad" about any part of this conversation and I'll concede this entire argument. I'm not mad at all. Haven't been this entire time. You can't come up with a defense for your weird obsession with watching kids play sports so you're trying to deflect by making things up like me being angry. My opinion is both formulated and crystal clear on this. Again, you have no counterargument so you're left with nothing but making things up.

Most any HS team would be seniors, and they start turning 18 at... guess what, when school starts. Before school even starts in the fall (my school had a mid-june cutoff). Most 'starters' for a HS team are going to be seniors. The rest would be juniors with the rare sophomore here or there.

No, most kids do not turn 18 when school starts or before school starts. Sure, some do, but it's more the exception than the rule. For example, I turned 18 in April of my senior year.

But your focus is on the absolute youngest you'd expect to see. Now, that's weird. What's your obsession with it?

Which part of "16 is what I figured the median age on a high school football team would be" is tripping you up? As far as being obsessed goes, I'm not the one tenaciously defending getting off on watching kids play football. That would be you.

You mad about gymnastics in the Olympics? They actually had to change the rules to stop 14 year olds from competing. Yet most of America went gaga in 96 over the Olympic team because a girl hurt her foot to win gold.

Again, I'm not mad about anything. I'm glad they had to change the rules. Those kids were treated horribly by their coaches. I'd imagine no longer being allowed to watch 14 year olds on TV must be tough for a guy like you, but it's for the best.

All that being said, I think it's a good idea to end this conversation before I actually do get angry and decide to stop playing nice with you.

• Like 1

BB52Big.jpg

8 hours ago, GDAWG said:

I sense that this will be the last year of the hubs for the USFL.  If they go as I predict and add a 5th hub (I predicted New Orleans with the Breakers and Gamblers), that leaves two teams by themselves, which is a good thing for the USFL and a sign of progress in getting teams into their regular markets. 

I'd love to see teams finally have their own name in the end zones instead of the USFL design. Detroit will still look off unless they are allowed to paint over end zones or at least color in the wordmarks instead of leaving it uncolored like it was this year. I also think they need to play the championship somewhere other than Canton. Detroit would be the best option to avoid bad weather, but I think Birmingham should have the game. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

17 hours ago, infrared41 said:

I've followed this conversation and gotta say, while I agree with your take over the other dude, your delivery with all the masked cussing is atrocious. As a moderator here you are of course free to debate and give your viewpoints, but (in my opinion) it should be done with quite a bit more tact.

• Like 1
  • Yawn 1
  • Facepalm 1

1 hour ago, Skycast said:

I've followed this conversation and gotta say, while I agree with your take over the other dude, your delivery with all the masked cussing is atrocious. As a moderator here you are of course free to debate and give your viewpoints, but (in my opinion) it should be done with quite a bit more tact.

You'll get past it. 😉

For the record, if you read the original post you'll see that I was quoting what he said. That aside, I do have a tendency to use R-rated language. It's all part of my delightful personality.

BB52Big.jpg

6 minutes ago, infrared41 said:

You'll get past it. 😉

For the record, if you read the original post you'll see that I was quoting what he said. That aside, I do have a tendency towards R-rated language. It's all part of my delightful personality.

Yea, I'm way past it, but as a representative of this site it's my feeling that you should rise above and take the higher road when interacting. And all of those censored emojis you used are not from quoting what he said.

But I guess, if you're just an ass in how you communicate then you're just an ass. It's a shame because outside of that the content of your posts are valid and if I was running this site I wouldn't want something like that representing me or this (otherwise) fine site.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Skycast said:

Yea, I'm way past it, but as a representative of this site it's my feeling that you should rise above and take the higher road when interacting. And all of those censored emojis you used are not from quoting what he said.

But I guess, if you're just an ass in how you communicate then you're just an ass. It's a shame because outside of that the content of your posts are valid and if I was running this site I wouldn't want something like that representing me or this (otherwise) fine site.

You sure? This is the second time you've brought it up and you seem to have strong feelings on the matter. Anyway,  I guess I'll have to learn to live with your disappointment. 🙃

Seriously though, you are entitled to your opinion, but this place ain't exactly the Harvard Debate Club. Surely you've noticed that in all your years here.

BB52Big.jpg

16 minutes ago, GDAWG said:

Trying to get the thread back on topic.  

😀

Things do go sideways once in a while around here. Your effort is most appreciated. I'll put on my mod hat and make it official and I'll start by reprimanding myself.

Let's get back on topic, folks. infrared41, either move on or take it to PM.

Fair?

• Like 2
  • WOAH 1

BB52Big.jpg

5 hours ago, MJWalker45 said:

I'd love to see teams finally have their own name in the end zones instead of the USFL design. Detroit will still look off unless they are allowed to paint over end zones or at least color in the wordmarks instead of leaving it uncolored like it was this year. I also think they need to play the championship somewhere other than Canton. Detroit would be the best option to avoid bad weather, but I think Birmingham should have the game. 

Likely only happens if Memphis and Birmingham get to be by themselves.  

• Like 1