USFL 2023 Season

Skycast

1 hour ago, infrared41 said:

Things do go sideways once in a while around here. Your effort is most appreciated. I'll put on my mod hat and make it official and I'll start by reprimanding myself.

Let's get back on topic, folks. infrared41, either move on or take it to PM.

Fair?

Might have to bring in the Majestic 37. They're 3.083333333333333 times more powerful than the Majestic XII.😬

• 2 months later...

So I am going to reply here and not on the XFL post, because I am more of a USFL guy, as many of you might know.

As more news or rumors come out about the merged league I am getting more and more concerned that it basically means the end of the USFL "revival" of the league I loved in the 1980's.  The New USFL was never that, but at least they brought back the names and identities of that great league.     What I hoped for was that a USFL-XFL merger woudl basically be an expansion of the USFL with a few traditional cities (San Antonio, Orland, DC) taking on the old USFL names/logos and a few new cities (St. Louis, Seattle) keeping their XFL identities but with better uniforms more in the USFL style.   So basically, what I was hoping for was this:

12 team USFL, starting in March (midway between USFL and XFL timeframes)

EAST:  Generals (@ Redbull or Rutgers),  Stars (@ Franklin Field),  Orlando Renegades (Merger of Arlington & Orlando), Federals (former DC Defenders @ Audi)

SOUTH:  Birmingham (@ UAB), Memphis (@ Liberty Bowl), New Orleans (@ Tulane),  St .Louis Battlehawks (@ Dome)

WEST:  Panthers (@ Ford),  Houston Gamblers (merged with Roughnecks @ Rice), Dragons (@ Lumen), and San Antonio Gunslingers (renamed Brahmas).

IF they could keep 2 more, move Las Vegas to Oakland for Invaders and move (don't merge) Roughnecks to Arizona as Wranglers or Denver as Gold. 

But, what it looks like we are getting is mostly XFL teams with only the 3-4 hub cities from the USFL.  So, mostly the end of the USFL as a revival/homage to the original league. 

Honestly, given the choice, I much prefer the USFL to the XFL.  I even prefer (stylistically) the AAF to the XFL.  The thought that I would lose the cool Gamblers logo for the trainwreck that is the Roughnecks look, or lose the Generals and Stars but keep the Guardians and Brahmas just makes me sad (both as a USFL fan and a fan of good design.)

• Love 1

After reading the news/rumors coming out, I am not holding out much hope for a USFL-dominant version of a merged league.  I had hoped that the USFL's stronger financial position would mean that the XFL would all but get absorbed into a bigger, stronger, USFL, but that does not seem to be in the cards.  Too bad, I much prefer the USFL's look and retro feel to the crazy red-bull & vodka induced designs, but it looks  like we will see a mish-mash of both, at least as far as teams go.    Too bad.

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, WideRight said:

After reading the news/rumors coming out, I am not holding out much hope for a USFL-dominant version of a merged league.  I had hoped that the USFL's stronger financial position would mean that the XFL would all but get absorbed into a bigger, stronger, USFL, but that does not seem to be in the cards.  Too bad, I much prefer the USFL's look and retro feel to the crazy red-bull & vodka induced designs, but it looks  like we will see a mish-mash of both, at least as far as teams go.    Too bad.

I think for most leagues, that's what should be happening. If everyone works under the same aesthetic a league can be pretty bland. When you also have everyone using the same field layouts that is just as boring as well. As long as they don't keep hubs, which means some XFL teams will move out of their actual stadiums, I think the different looks run up against each other could create some pretty nice looks. And except for Houston and Arlington, I don't really think there are any out there looks for the XFL. San Antonio is different because they don't have a white away jersey, but it's still a conventionally designed uniform. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

16 hours ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

I had been assuming that the name of the combined league would be either USFL or XFL. If it's going to be something else, then the owners of the league and the teams will have massively devalued that property.

100%. If this is the name they're going for, you can't help but assume they're trying to insinuate, or work toward, being some kind of an extension to the NFL season. It's right there in the name: National (Spring) Football League. 

I wouldn't be surprised if the long-term strategy is to secure an actual affiliation with the NFL as a means of continued survival. 

• Like 3

BREAKING: USFL and XFL just confirmed the merger, but offered ZERO details. From the press release that just went out:

XFL AND USFL ANNOUNCE INTENT TO MERGE

NEW YORK – September 28, 2023 – Today, the United States Football League (“USFL”) and the XFL announced their intention to merge.

Subject to customary regulatory approvals and if the transaction is consummated, the new league will establish best-in-class operations based on the most recent seasons of both leagues.  This historic combination will anchor professional spring football with substantial capabilities and resources to ensure future growth and continue to enhance the development of the collective players, coaches, and staff that are coming together. 

More details regarding the new league will be announced at a later date. 

• Like 1

In an alternate reality: A USFL owned & operated by the NFL in NFL stadiums that don't house MLS teams:

12 teams:

Arizona Outlaws

Baltimore Blitz*

Dallas Wranglers

Denver Gold

Houston Gamblers

Jacksonville Bulls

Los Angeles Express

New Orleans Breakers

New Jersey Generals 

Philadelphia Stars 

Pittsburgh Maulers