USFL 2023 Season

Skycast

25 minutes ago, GDAWG said:

If you are fan of the Brown or Bengals living in Canton, what reason do you have to go to a Maulers game at the local stadium?

I'll cut it down to this part of your post.

Being a fan of an NFL team doesn't mean you'll be a fan of a team in another league, regardless of the team's colors.

I love me some alt football, but sometimes y'all need to step back and read what you're saying from the perspective of a person who isn't one of us.

• Like 1

It's where I sit.

4 hours ago, GDAWG said:

it doesn't help matters when Canton is closer to Cleveland than Pittsburgh and that those who are diehard football fans in Canton are either Browns fans or Bengals fans.  Those fans would have probably embraced the Maulers more in Canton if the Maulers had kept the Orange and Purple rather than Black and Yellow.  They could overlook the Pittsburgh name in the Maulers if they had kept their colors from 2022.  If you are fan of the Brown or Bengals living in Canton, what reason do you have to go to a Maulers game at the local stadium when they remind you of one of your rivals, the Steelers?

Just a minor note, since the Browns relocation in 1995 there was an influx of Steelers fans (combined with them being successful while the new Browns struggled for decades) that has led to the Steelers being a very popular team in Canton, Akron, Youngstown, etc. Maybe not the most followed team in a particular locale, but it's definitely more than a blip. Honestly, Columbus has been a confluence of all three teams. And honestly Bengals fans don't exist too far up I-71 from Columbus. You might see more Bengals fans up the I-75 corridor toward places like Findlay, Lima, Wapakoneta, etc.

4 hours ago, Sec19Row53 said:

I'll cut it down to this part of your post.

Being a fan of an NFL team doesn't mean you'll be a fan of a team in another league, regardless of the team's colors.

I love me some alt football, but sometimes y'all need to step back and read what you're saying from the perspective of a person who isn't one of us.

I explained this to someone else.

Cantonites that are Steelers fans are Steelers fans. They're not fans of Pittsburgh. In fact, they probably despise Pittsburgh in almost every other aspect and very rarely do you see Pirates fans anywhere in Ohio except maybe right along the Ohio River (East Liverpool, Steubenville, Martins Ferry, Bellaire, Shadyside, etc). Penguins had a little more following years ago because Ohio never had an NHL team and paired with the Pens being successful. But I can say that Pens fandom in and around northeast Ohio is definitely diminishing and only had a blip increase when Crosby had the back-to-back titles and it's waning again. If only the Blue Jackets had success. They'd easily take over.

Back to Canton though. They'll come out for the Steelers. Not for the Dollar General-brand Steelers.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, GDAWG said:

Birmingham, with an actual home stadium vs. Pittsburgh, who doesn't have an actual stadium.

I can see the USFL pushing for Acrisure Stadium for the Maulers next year if it's not Canton.

As far as I'm aware, Acrisure is available. You just have to be willing to pay. And it won't be cheap. Being grass is also a problem with field prep. If they did get a lease they could afford the cost to paint the field any more than the white outline will probably be too much. 

4 hours ago, Sykotyk said:

As far as I'm aware, Acrisure is available. You just have to be willing to pay. And it won't be cheap. Being grass is also a problem with field prep. If they did get a lease they could afford the cost to paint the field any more than the white outline will probably be too much. 

They need to do something more than what they did with the outlines for Detroit. 

As far as the championship game, I don't see the Maulers winning. The Stallions were a machine last night.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

8 minutes ago, GDAWG said:

I don't mind the Stallions being back to back champions.  It shows stability for a spring league.  

Right.  I was rooting for New Orleans on account of Bethel-Thompson, whom I like because he's the oldest player in the league, and because he came from the CFL.  But McGough's performance was absolutely masterful.  Having enjoyed seeing the inspirational Luis Perez take over the Renegades and lead them to the XFL title, I have to acknowledge that McGough is operating on another level.  He's likely to be league MVP, and for him to lead his team to another championship would be totally fitting.

More generally, I agree with the idea that having a repeat champion would give the impression of stability for a new league.  Leagues typically shoot for a degree of parity, so as to keep up the interest of fans of as many teams as possible.  But what really does wonders for any league's identity is the emergence of an elite tier. So for that additional reason I hope that Birmingham beats Pittsburgh for the title.

Finally, given the rumours that Pittsburgh will undergo a name change, for that team to be champions would be awkward.  The act of "moving" the league champions would show the very opposite of stability for a new league.  So all the more rationale for hoping that the Stallions win.

• Like 4

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

Unlike DC, Birmingham is taking care of business tonight. Pittsburgh going for it on 4th and 8 with 7:30 left on the clock and in their own end of the field was just stupid. 

Also, looks like the hub is staying for one more year. I think that's a big mistake. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

4 minutes ago, McCall said:

The USFL is no different than this little league team wearing Houston Astros uniforms.

little league astros uniforms - Quality assurance - OFF 59%

I'd say that they should look to improving those jerseys from what they have now. The league logo should be on the collar, not the chest. But they look better than some other uniforms that even NFL teams have worn recently (i.e. Cardinals and the 2015 Browns). 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

14 minutes ago, MJWalker45 said:

I'd say that they should look to improving those jerseys from what they have now. The league logo should be on the collar, not the chest. But they look better than some other uniforms that even NFL teams have worn recently (i.e. Cardinals and the 2015 Browns). 

I meant that although they wear Houston Astros uniforms, they don't actually play in Houston... they just dress up like them... like 5 of the 8 USFL teams.

• Like 1
  • Yawn 1

41 minutes ago, MJWalker45 said:

Unlike DC, Birmingham is taking care of business tonight. Pittsburgh going for it on 4th and 8 with 7:30 left on the clock and in their own end of the field was just stupid. 

Also, looks like the hub is staying for one more year. I think that's a big mistake. 

The Hub format for 2024 is likely because they couldn't find homes for the Maulers, Generals, Stars and Gamblers.  He said "with adjustments" so it could easily be 5 hubs, with one of Detroit, Canton, Memphis and Birmingham having only one team and a new hub somewhere else (such as Tulane with the Breakers and Gamblers).

• Like 2

On 7/1/2023 at 11:44 PM, Cujo said:

Over/under on ppl who will actually attend?

https://www.cbs42.com/sports/usfl/despite-rain-fans-support-birmingham-stallions-during-victory-parade/

https://abc3340.com/news/local/fans-gather-in-rainy-victory-parade-held-for-birmingham-stallions-latest-usfl-championship-win

For the short notice, rain, and the fact that almost anyone who DROVE to Canton wouldn't be back in time for the parade, it seems better than I was expecting.

• Like 2

The USFL has said that they will resume the hub format in 2024, with adjustments.  This could mean that there will be a 5th hub next year, possibly New Orleans (since I think that is the easiest to strike a deal with Tulane) with the Breakers and Gamblers playing out there, leaving the Showboats all by themselves at Simmons Bank Liberty Stadium (which I think is a good thing).  So do we suspect that in terms of Canton they will play the whole "Canton is part of the Greater Pittsburgh Area" thing again as they did this year or does Canton finally get a team of their own?