USFL 2023 Season

Skycast

31 minutes ago, GDAWG said:

The USFL has said that they will resume the hub format in 2024, with adjustments.  This could mean that there will be a 5th hub next year, possibly New Orleans (since I think that is the easiest to strike a deal with Tulane) with the Breakers and Gamblers playing out there, leaving the Showboats all by themselves at Simmons Bank Liberty Stadium (which I think is a good thing).  So do we suspect that in terms of Canton they will play the whole "Canton is part of the Greater Pittsburgh Area" thing again as they did this year or does Canton finally get a team of their own?

I think it's likely Canton gets the Generals and Maulers for at least one more year unless Red Bull Arena is available.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

7 minutes ago, infrared41 said:

If this happens, they have to be the Canton Bulldogs, right?

I think it could be, but I feel like the league will want them to have a name from the league history. I think the Federals would be the best option if that's the case because it's green, silver and black colors. Because if they are the Bulldogs and aren't wearing marron and white, it won't be the Bulldogs to most fans in Canton. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

17 minutes ago, infrared41 said:

If this happens, they have to be the Canton Bulldogs, right?

It comes down to trademark ownership. A look through the USPTO's TESS database shows that NFL Properties has owned the Canton Bulldogs trademark since 2006. 

This is the primary reason why the new USFL is sticking to the names of the original USFL; it already holds the trademarks to those brands. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, gosioux76 said:

It comes down to trademark ownership. A look through the USPTO's TESS database shows that NFL Properties has owned the Canton Bulldogs trademark since 2006. 

This is the primary reason why the new USFL is sticking to the names of the original USFL; it already holds the trademarks to those brands. 

Yeah - If Canton gets a team, I don't see it getting a name of Canton _____ as that isn't what this iteration of the USFL is doing. Denver Gold. Washington Federals. Chicago Blitz. All could have their current home as Canton (no real reason for those names).

It's where I sit.

1 hour ago, MJWalker45 said:

Because if they are the Bulldogs and aren't wearing marron and white, it won't be the Bulldogs to most fans in Canton. 

The Canton Bulldogs ceased to exist in 1927. I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say there probably aren't many Bulldogs fans left in Canton.

• Like 3
  • LOL 1

BB52Big.jpg

On 7/12/2023 at 10:28 AM, gosioux76 said:

Anything in there about the Akron/Canton Pros? I know, old and now exactly imaginative nickname, but it did exist at one point...

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

On 7/12/2023 at 12:42 PM, infrared41 said:

The Canton Bulldogs ceased to exist in 1927. I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say there probably aren't many Bulldogs fans left in Canton.

As mentioned, Canton McKinley High School, the only public high school now in Canton (Timken combined with McKinley a few years ago), are nicknamed the Bulldogs. And honestlly, though Cantonites might enjoy the team having that nickname, good luck getting Massillon, North Canton, Plains Twp, Jackson Twp, or Perry Twp fans to show up and cheer for 'Bulldogs'.

Edit: Also, the high school team started in 1894.

• Yawn 1

1 minute ago, Sykotyk said:

As mentioned, Canton McKinley High School, the only public high school now in Canton (Timken combined with McKinley a few years ago), are nicknamed the Bulldogs. And honestlly, though Cantonites might enjoy the team having that nickname, good luck getting Massillon, North Canton, Plains Twp, Jackson Twp, or Perry Twp fans to show up and cheer for 'Bulldogs'.

Edit: Also, the high school team started in 1894.

If people are that into high school football, they have much bigger problems than the name of a USFL team.

• Like 2
  • Applause 1

BB52Big.jpg

14 minutes ago, infrared41 said:

If people are that into high school football, they have much bigger problems than the name of a USFL team.

Welcome to Ohio. Canton-Massillon is probably the most notable rivalry in high school football in the country.

https://massillontigers.com/history/massillon-vs-canton-mckinley/history-of-the-rivalry/

Also, the fact that the Maulers are playing where McKinley plays their games, and have for many decades, which is right next to the high school.

• LOL 1

50 minutes ago, Sykotyk said:

Welcome to Ohio. Canton-Massillon is probably the most notable rivalry in high school football in the country.

https://massillontigers.com/history/massillon-vs-canton-mckinley/history-of-the-rivalry/

Also, the fact that the Maulers are playing where McKinley plays their games, and have for many decades, which is right next to the high school.

Dude, I live in Ohio. Paul Brown was born in the town where I lived until I was 16. I lived down the street from two of his nephews. Trust me, I know all about the Canton-Massillon rivalry. I've been to the stadium.*  I saw Go Tigers! and everything. I stand by what I said about high school football.

*I went to the USFL Championship Game last year and I've been to two HOF games there. I live about 90 minutes from Canton

• Like 1

BB52Big.jpg

1 hour ago, infrared41 said:

Dude, I live in Ohio. Paul Brown was born in the town where I lived until I was 16. I lived down the street from two of his nephews. Trust me, I know all about the Canton-Massillon rivalry. I've been to the stadium.*  I saw Go Tigers! and everything. I stand by what I said about high school football.

*I went to the USFL Championship Game last year and I've been to two HOF games there. I live about 90 minutes from Canton

So you just choose to ignore it then. So be it. But don't act like it isn't a thing. Would fans in Hilliard fans cheer for a team named the Wolverines?

Canton is a very small city. The fact it's even discussed as having a team is because USFL was desperate and didn't even give them their own team. This talk of them naming the team "Canton" or "Ohio" is probably not happening. They play there because it's cheap and it's available.

Small cities identify much more to their schools identity than a big city where most major pro teams reside. Small towns and small cities are different.

I live 60 miles from Canton and also have been to Tom Benson Stadium. I've been on the field for USFL games there this past season. You think throwing that out there legitimized your point or something?

• Yawn 1

7 hours ago, infrared41 said:

Ohio and Texas are, and Florida also has sports betting on pee wee games, so there are a lot of people who take football way too seriously.

• Like 1

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

4 hours ago, Sykotyk said:

Canton is a very small city. The fact it's even discussed as having a team is because USFL was desperate and didn't even give them their own team. This talk of them naming the team "Canton" or "Ohio" is probably not happening. They play there because it's cheap and it's available.

Small cities identify much more to their schools identity than a big city where most major pro teams reside. Small towns and small cities are different.

I also found it weird that some people are suggesting that they move the Maulers to Columbus because HCS has yellow and black seats. If the USFL doesn't  think they can get enough fans in the stadium to make Acrisure worth the cost, then maybe they should drop trying to use only USFL names as a selling point. 

12 hours ago, tBBP said:

Anything in there about the Akron/Canton Pros? I know, old and now exactly imaginative nickname, but it did exist at one point...

NFL probably still owns the name. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

9 hours ago, Sykotyk said:

So you just choose to ignore it then. So be it. But don't act like it isn't a thing. Would fans in Hilliard fans cheer for a team named the Wolverines?

Yes, I choose to ignore it because it's really :censored:ing weird. Something being "a thing" doesn't legitimize it or make it any less crazy. Outside of parents and maybe relatives who have kids on the team, people who live and die with the performance of 16 year olds have serious issues.

With regard to Hilliard fans cheering for a team called the Wolverines, the only ones who would give a flying :censored: about the name of a high school team are the lunatics you seem to be defending. The type of person who goes that far with sports has way bigger issues than some high school team that shares its name with a college rival. Seriously, does this stuff make sense in your head before you post it? I ask because out here in reality, it sounds pretty silly.

So your argument is putting a team where a stadium is cheap, available, and actually draws a crowd once in a while is a desperate move. Yeah, it makes much more sense for a team called the New jersey Generals to play their home games in Canton, Ohio. That aside, I couldn't care less about Canton getting its own USFL team. All I said was "if this happens they have to call them the Bulldogs" and I was 96% joking when I said it.

Small cities identify much more to their schools identity than a big city where most major pro teams reside.

No, they really don't. I live in a small city. The most popular football team in this city isn't either of the High School teams (one public, one parochial), the most popular football team here is by far and away the Cleveland Browns, followed by the Ohio State Buckeyes, Pittsburgh Steelers, and as much as it pains me to say it, Michigan Wolverines. The Catholic school here is a perennial Division VI powerhouse. People are happy for them, but that's about as far as it goes. In fact, the crowds for their games are usually around 60% capacity. Sometimes less. And capacity is around 2900.

I've been on the field for USFL games there this past season. You think throwing that out there legitimized your point or something?

Nope. You mentioned the stadium like it would be some foreign concept to me. I simply pointed out that I'd been there. I mentioned the games because I wanted to point out that I've never been to a High School game there. That's it.

Did you think throwing out that you've been on the field for a USFL game legitimized your point or something? I've been on the field or in the press box for MLB games, NFL Games, NCAA football games, the NCAA Basketball Tournament, Minor League Baseball and Hockey, and more high school games than I can remember.  I've seen more adults act like ass-holes at High School games than anyone should ever be subjected to which leads me to my final point.

I still stand by what I said about High School football.

• Like 6

BB52Big.jpg

If the USFL MO is that they are relying g on their historical identities, what's the logic behind a team named the Canton Anythings?

Yes, they're using Canton as a hub. But nobody thinks teams using Detroit or Birmingham as hubs are going to change their names.

• Like 2

It's where I sit.

10 minutes ago, Sec19Row53 said:

If the USFL MO is that they are relying g on their historical identities, what's the logic behind a team named the Canton Anythings?

Name them the Canton Bulls, use the Jacksonville Bulls  uniforms and logos, hire Brian Sipe to walk around the sidelines or something so there's a "local connection" and call it a day. 😎

Spoiler

Before all the "Actually" people show up, yes, I'm fully aware that is not Brian Sipe at QB against the Generals. It's Matt Robinson.

4h8in4x6g3n71.jpg?width=640&crop=smart&a

BB52Big.jpg

33 minutes ago, infrared41 said:

Name them the Canton Bulls, use the Jacksonville Bulls  uniforms and logos, hire Brian Sipe to walk around the sidelines or something so there's a "local connection" and call it a day. 😎

Hide contents

Before all the "Actually" people show up, yes, I'm fully aware that is not Brian Sipe at QB against the Generals. It's Matt Robinson.

4h8in4x6g3n71.jpg?width=640&crop=smart&a

I believe that they have the Jacksonville Bulls trademarks.  They need to modernize those uniforms though.