USFL 2023 Season

Skycast

3 hours ago, DCarp1231 said:

Decided to look at regular season records to compare USFL and XFL-

The XFL collectively finished 40-40 (.500) and 20-20 (.500) through 5 weeks. The USFL now through 5 weeks is sitting at 20-20 (.500) Disregard

The best regular season team in the XFL was the DC Defenders (9-1, 5-0 WK5), while the best team currently in the USFL is the New Orleans Breakers (4-1)

50% of the XFL finished over .500. Of those teams, none were below 7 wins. By Week 5, 62% were over .500 with at least 3 wins.

Currently, 62% of USFL teams are below .500. This includes the entire North Division at 2-3 each.

In other news, the average time of possession in both leagues is at 30:00🤣

• Like 2

It's where I sit.

1 hour ago, DCarp1231 said:

Lol yeah, I don’t know what I was thinking in BOTH posts. I’m gonna chalk it up to a case of the Mondays 💀 

I loved your correction. You owned it.

Happy Monday!

• Like 2

It's where I sit.

Here is what I am hoping for in the USFL over the next few years:

2024:  All 8 teams play in their home stadiums and we start to see XFL type attendance numbers. 

2025: They bring back Tampa Bay and add either Chicago (if XFL still around) or Washington (if it is not).  TV ratings and attendance  continue to grow. 

2026: A deal is cut with the NFL to grow the league to 16 teams, and when it gets there, there would be a pipeline of USFL talent to 1 NFC and 1 AFC designated team for each USFL club.  No players sent directly from NFL to USFL (not directly) but a way for  USFL players to get automatic camp invites to those NFL teams. 

Denver and Oakland are added, they form the Western Division with Houston and Chicago. 

2027:  LA and Arizona are added, both to the West, Houston and Chicago return to the South and North. 

2028: Washington and Jacksonville are added, and we have our 16 USFL teams:

EAST:  NJ, PHI, WSH, PIT

SOUTH: TBY, JAX, BIR, MEM

CENTRAL:  MGN, CHI, HOU, NOR

WEST: ARZ, DEN, LA, OAK

I know, a lot to ask.  And I feel bad for Oklahoma, Orlando, and San Antonio, but 16 makes more sense.  

• Like 2

Pittsburgh isn't moving to Acrisure. Based on the deal with Canton, I'm fairly certain that the team will be on hiatus and a Canton or Ohio themed name will be used next year. 

A lot of this depends on the XFL. I doubt they start in Houston if the XFL is still going. Another hiatus. Denver, Oakland and Arizona the likely options for a new city that has the ability to host. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Sykotyk said:

Pittsburgh isn't moving to Acrisure. Based on the deal with Canton, I'm fairly certain that the team will be on hiatus and a Canton or Ohio themed name will be used next year. 

A lot of this depends on the XFL. I doubt they start in Houston if the XFL is still going. Another hiatus. Denver, Oakland and Arizona the likely options for a new city that has the ability to host. 

New Jersey isn't happening either.  Philly is a maybe, because a potential darkhorse option is Villanova if the Linc, Subaru and Franklin Field are no.  Villanova only seats 12,000 people, so I don't know how the USFL feels about a stadium that small.   If Villanova is too small though, then Philly isn't happening.  Out of the teams not playing at home who is most likely to get a home venue for 2024 is New Orleans if they can get a deal with Tulane.  

• Like 1

On 5/23/2023 at 5:12 PM, WideRight said:

Here is what I am hoping for in the USFL over the next few years:

2024:  All 8 teams play in their home stadiums and we start to see XFL type attendance numbers. 

2025: They bring back Tampa Bay and add either Chicago (if XFL still around) or Washington (if it is not).  TV ratings and attendance  continue to grow. 

2026: A deal is cut with the NFL to grow the league to 16 teams, and when it gets there, there would be a pipeline of USFL talent to 1 NFC and 1 AFC designated team for each USFL club.  No players sent directly from NFL to USFL (not directly) but a way for  USFL players to get automatic camp invites to those NFL teams. 

Denver and Oakland are added, they form the Western Division with Houston and Chicago. 

2027:  LA and Arizona are added, both to the West, Houston and Chicago return to the South and North. 

2028: Washington and Jacksonville are added, and we have our 16 USFL teams:

EAST:  NJ, PHI, WSH, PIT

SOUTH: TBY, JAX, BIR, MEM

CENTRAL:  MGN, CHI, HOU, NOR

WEST: ARZ, DEN, LA, OAK

I know, a lot to ask.  And I feel bad for Oklahoma, Orlando, and San Antonio, but 16 makes more sense.  

Chicago could work for both the XFL and USFL, if one league goes with Bridgeview and the other gets Soldier Field. I think the XFL would be happy with the smaller stadium unless all of a sudden league attendance takes off in 2024. I don't think they'd meet the numbers needed to support that though. Also, I think Tampa Bay becomes the replacement for the Maulers next year if they don't stay in Canton and get renamed. 

For 2026, I think it's more likely that the league would have to move up their schedule to get by in from NFL teams. They'd want those players coming in for mini-camps/OTA's as well as training camp, though being in the United States instead of Europe some NFL coaches may rather keep them with their USFL teams and take a look at them in person. 

As far as Orlando and San Antonio, they had horrible USFL identities anyways, and if the XFL is still up and running they will be fine. If the XFL folds again though, I would be surprised to see the USFL not move teams into those markets, especially the Pennsylvania cities that seem to not have a chance at their current "city" locations. Especially if both cities are seeing around 20,000 per game. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

9 minutes ago, MJWalker45 said:

For 2026, I think it's more likely that the league would have to move up their schedule to get by in from NFL teams. They'd want those players coming in for mini-camps/OTA's as well as training camp, though being in the United States instead of Europe some NFL coaches may rather keep them with their USFL teams and take a look at them in person. 

This is what gives the XFL the  advantage. Guys like Luis Perez and Jordan Ta'amu, who both played in the USFL last year, came back to the XFL this year because it allowed them time to sign with an NFL team and attend OTA's and minicamps after the season was over.

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, MJWalker45 said:

I think it's more likely that the league would have to move up their schedule to get by in from NFL teams.

If the USFL does indeed move up its season for that reason, then of course it would run concurrently with the XFL.  In that case, the leagues really cannot have teams in the same city (even if the USFL's teams are still just nominally representing most of their cities).

To counteract the effect of the dilution of fan attention, the leagues ought to work together to pump up some kind of league-versus-league rivalry that would benefit both.  If they can figure this out, then that would probably make inevitable the establishment of an inter-league championship game.

• Like 2

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

1 minute ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

If the USFL does indeed move up its season for that reason, then of course it would run concurrently with the XFL.  In that case, the leagues really cannot have teams in the same city (even if the USFL's teams are still just nominally representing most of their cities).

To counteract the effect of the dilution of fan attention, the leagues ought to work together to pump up some kind of league-versus-league rivalry that would benefit both.  If they can figure this out, then that would probably make inevitable the establishment of an inter-league championship game.

Just agreeing a television truce would be the best way to do it. Fox/NBC would cover the USFL and ESPN/ABC and possibly CBS cover the XFL. Set it up so XFL games get played at a set time on Saturdays and Sundays and have the USFL take the other slots. Then do what the big four do for regular TV and broadcast the other league's schedule during their games. If both leagues are running at the same time, either league going beyond 10 to 12 teams is unlikely due to stadium issues and the amount of available TV slots available.

• Like 2

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

So the best record a team in the North division will finish with is 5-5. If Michigan wins, multiple tiebreakers will determine who is the division champ between them and Pittsburgh. Not like it matters since the game is in Canton. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

12 hours ago, MJWalker45 said:

So the best record a team in the North division will finish with is 5-5. If Michigan wins, multiple tiebreakers will determine who is the division champ between them and Pittsburgh. Not like it matters since the game is in Canton. 

1 Pittsburgh 4-6

2 MIchigan 4-6

3 Philadelphia 4-6

4 New Jersey 3-7

evenly balanced trashed.

48 minutes ago, Sykotyk said:

1 Pittsburgh 4-6

2 MIchigan 4-6

3 Philadelphia 4-6

4 New Jersey 3-7

evenly balanced trashed.

the North, also known as "3 of these teams won't be playing in their respective cities ever in 2024"

• Like 1

On 6/18/2023 at 11:12 PM, GDAWG said:

the North, also known as "3 of these teams won't be playing in their respective cities ever in 2024"

If the USFL is actually planning on having at least one team at Canton, as this discussion states, it looks like you're right on the money. 😑 Most people think it means the Maulers will be at Canton again, probably as a brand new team or simply as they currently are. 

• Facepalm 1

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

Out of the USFL teams without an actual home venue (Breakers, Maulers, Stars, Generals and Gamblers), moving one of the teams to Canton and trying to see if Tulane is an option for the Breakers are likely options.  Canton will get one of the other three Northern Division teams, probably the Maulers, leaving the Stars, Generals and Gamblers without any home venues if the USFL can successfully land Yulman Stadium for the Breakers.