NBA in Seattle

3 hours ago, NicDB said:

That's precisely my point... why even bother having divisions then?

In the NFL and MLB, division rivalries actually mean something and are a factor in determining playoff position.  Division titles in the NBA are such a glorified participation trophy that even the NBA website gives you the option to filter them out of the standings.

So do the other leagues, they’ll allow you to see standing by conference too.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 6/30/2021 at 4:03 PM, OnWis97 said:

Knowing what the new model for franchise recognition is in the NBA, I do hope it's an expansion team. I don't want to see the long history of the Kings or the sad history of my team (T-Wolves) just stop in favor of defunctness.

It would definitely be an expansion team. The NHL got $650 million from Seattle for the Kraken, so the NBA could get at least $1 billion as an expansion fee easily. 

The Wolves lease at Target Center runs until '35, so they won't be going anywhere. 

22 minutes ago, spartacat_12 said:

It would definitely be an expansion team. The NHL got $650 million from Seattle for the Kraken, so the NBA could get at least $1 billion as an expansion fee easily. 

The Wolves lease at Target Center runs until '35, so they won't be going anywhere. 

And the Kings just got a new arena. They’re not going anywhere either.

jersey-signature03.pngjersey-signature04.png

On 6/27/2021 at 4:47 AM, SCalderwood said:

If MEM is the eastern-most Western Conference team, then I think they should be the one to move East.  I think it would bug me if we had an Eastern Conference team that was situated further west than a Western Conference team.

It's also bothered me that TOR has been in the Atlantic Division, even though they are not really that close to the Atlantic.

Maybe this?:

Eastern Conference

Atlantic Division

BOS

NY

BKN

PHI

WSH

Southeast Division

MEM

ATL

CHA

ORL

MIA

Central Division

TOR

DET

MIL

CHI

IND

CLE

Western Conference

Pacific Division

PHX

LAC

LAL

SAC

GS

Northwest Division

SEA

POR

LV

DEN

UTA

MIN

Southwest Division

SA

DAL

HOU

OKC

NO

I say put Chicago BACK into the Western Conference where they belong!

(Just kidding.)

The Timberwolves would have to move to the East before the Grizzlies do; Minneapolis not being with Chicago, Milwaukee, and Detroit is the biggest non-OKC alignment issue in the league. 

A no-conference 5x6 setup would have worked perfectly with the Supersonics and OKC Hornets in place. Ah, if only.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

• 2 weeks later...

If any western conference team ends up being forced to move east, it really should be Memphis, because they're... the furthest east. 

The western half of NBA cities are spread out among like 2/3 of the country and 3 different time zones, so yes that does put Minnesota in a bit of an awkward situation.  But Minneapolis is in the western half of NBA cities, so that's why they are in the Western Conference and that's where they belong.  Such is life.

9 hours ago, SCalderwood said:

If any western conference team ends up being forced to move east, it really should be Memphis, because they're... the furthest east. 

The western half of NBA cities are spread out among like 2/3 of the country and 3 different time zones, so yes that does put Minnesota in a bit of an awkward situation.  But Minneapolis is in the western half of NBA cities, so that's why they are in the Western Conference and that's where they belong.  Such is life.

I used to think this too, but Minnesota isn't really closely located to other Western conference teams. Milwaukee, Chicago, Detroit, Indy, and Cleveland are all closer to Minneapolis than Denver or OKC. Memphis is much closer to New Orleans, OKC, Dallas, and Houston as well. 

AM-JKLUm-gD6dFoY5MvQGgjXb2rzP7kMTHmGf8UsR6KOCYQnHU-0HSFi-zjXHepGDckUAHcduu3pVgvwxe06RKDW2y2Z2BmhEOe8OP-WSY1XqLT9KsQ0ZP75J9loQuNrvLW208pEWCg9jq8aNx-zFneH9aPQQA=w800-h112-no?authuser=0

spacer.png

On 8/20/2021 at 8:33 AM, GriffinM6 said:

I used to think this too, but Minnesota isn't really closely located to other Western conference teams. Milwaukee, Chicago, Detroit, Indy, and Cleveland are all closer to Minneapolis than Denver or OKC. Memphis is much closer to New Orleans, OKC, Dallas, and Houston as well. 

I get that, but if Minnesota were to move to the east, then there would be an Eastern Conference team that is situated further west than 2 Western Conference teams, which is illogical. 

When the NBA created the current divisions back in 2004, I'm sure it occurred to them how far away MIN was from their divisional opponents.  I don't think they overlooked that.  Their goal was clearly just to split the league geographically in half, which is what they did.  They took a literal approach to "West" and "East." The 15 westernmost teams in the WC, the 15 easternmost teams in the EC.  I can't really fault them for doing that because if you are going to call the conferences "Western Conference" and "Eastern Conference," then it's just kind of what you have to do.

2 hours ago, SCalderwood said:

I get that, but if Minnesota were to move to the east, then there would be an Eastern Conference team that is situated further west than 2 Western Conference teams, which is illogical.

I don't know, it doesn't sound like you get anything about this.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

5 hours ago, SCalderwood said:

When the NBA created the current divisions back in 2004, I'm sure it occurred to them how far away MIN was from their divisional opponents.  I don't think they overlooked that.  Their goal was clearly just to split the league geographically in half, which is what they did.  They took a literal approach to "West" and "East." The 15 westernmost teams in the WC, the 15 easternmost teams in the EC.  I can't really fault them for doing that because if you are going to call the conferences "Western Conference" and "Eastern Conference," then it's just kind of what you have to do.

Divisions are for traveling purposes. Minnesota currently has one of the worst traveling schedules, along with Oklahoma City (though they did that to themselves), because they are in the Northwest with OKC, Portland, Denver, and Utah. If the NBA were to add two teams in the Western Conference, let's say Seattle and Las Vegas, they'd have to realign. Memphis has teams near them - the ones in the Southwest division plus OKC. Minnesota's closest team is Milwaukee, who is in the other conference. It makes much more sense to group Minnesota with the teams currently in the Central Division for travel purposes. Yes, this would result in having an Eastern Conference that's further west than a Western Conference team. It happens. The Dallas Cowboys were in the NFC East while the Carolina Panthers were in the NFC West for quite a while. Leagues are much more interested in limiting travel expenses than making absolute geographic sense.

the user formerly known as cdclt

17 hours ago, QCS said:

Divisions are for traveling purposes. Minnesota currently has one of the worst traveling schedules, along with Oklahoma City (though they did that to themselves), because they are in the Northwest with OKC, Portland, Denver, and Utah. If the NBA were to add two teams in the Western Conference, let's say Seattle and Las Vegas, they'd have to realign. Memphis has teams near them - the ones in the Southwest division plus OKC. Minnesota's closest team is Milwaukee, who is in the other conference. It makes much more sense to group Minnesota with the teams currently in the Central Division for travel purposes. Yes, this would result in having an Eastern Conference that's further west than a Western Conference team. It happens. The Dallas Cowboys were in the NFC East while the Carolina Panthers were in the NFC West for quite a while. Leagues are much more interested in limiting travel expenses than making absolute geographic sense.

Can't compare the NFL to any of the other leagues, since the NFL teams travel once every other week.  

From a fan perspective, If the league has an unbalanced schedule then I would just want my team to be in a division with other teams that are in the same time zone.  

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

On 6/28/2021 at 9:05 AM, DiePerske said:

With the way the NBA is, I wouldnt be opposed to them taking a soccer style.

Single table, 2 games against each other for a 58-62 game season and then take top 16.

And to keep up with the telecast agreement just play a randomised 10 more games.

I like the whole no divisions idea.

Logano wins BOWL before Chargers.

Archived