WNBA Uniform Concepts - Freezin' Finale (with Stinging Updates)

edjb93

CONNECTICUT SUN

I applaud Nike for incorporating designs associated with Mohegan Tribe to the Sun's uniforms, but if I'm gonna be honest, those designs are hard to replicate on a basic graphics software like Paint, especially the sleeve and collar trim on the heroine and explorer uniforms featuring the Mohegan Tribe's symbol. For my rendition of these two editions, I simplified the design on the sleeve and collar trim, and limited the appearance of the tribe symbol to the side panels. In addition to those, I added outlines to the front script and the numbers for readability, since it's kinda hard to see the orange (heroine) and white (explorer) numbers from afar. The heroine uniform now features navy numbers instead of orange for color balance, while the explorer uniform features a custom 'Connecticut' script that I made myself, so that it mimics the font used for the 'Sun'.

For the rebel uniform, I decided to throw it back to the team's previous logo and make a navy jersey with touches of red and yellow, aside from the regular orange. The sun rays on the uniform are based from the similar design on the out-of-bounds area of the team's old court near the baseline, with the difference being in the colors. Topping it up is the old script that fits the overall tropical vibe of the team moniker.

Fans of the team's current rebel uniform need not to worry, because I retained it as my storyteller uniform. You may refer to the article set up by the team about the details of their blue uniform.

ji8oNEn.png

I8aOhni.png

BxPghf2.png

WYGXL0h.png

• edjb93 changed the title to WNBA Uniform Concepts - The Rising Sun in Uncasville
  • Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I liked how you did most of every WNBA teams. Just one thing to keep in mind, the player names on back were supposed to be under the numbers, rather than over the numbers. Since most of every woman in WNBA wore ponytail hairs and their hair covered the names. That is just my 5 cents thought, sorry haha. Anyway, any chances you'd some former teams as well as Houston Comets and Orlando Miracle?

Alamo%2BBowl_sig.png

Liberty Bowl_sig.png

FEAR THE FROG! LET'S GO TCU!!

WASHINGTON MYSTICS

For the final team—well, not the final one since I'm still making concepts for previous WNBA cities—I honestly had no idea on how to design the Mystics' uniforms. I initially went with a modified version of their current uniforms, then I went with a design inspired by the exterior shape of their logo, but to no avail. Eventually, I settled with a random design that somehow worked this time. The heroine, explorer, and rebel uniforms all get that same design, with different primary element on the front of every edition (moniker on heroine, city name on explorer, and 'DC' alternate logo on rebel).

The storyteller uniform is a continuation of the 2021 rebel uniform. It's a mashup of that and the Bullets-inspired association and icon uniforms I made for the Wizards. This time, I went for 'March' instead of 'Rise', not only because of the 2017 Women's March title itself, but also due to a deeper meaning: marching towards progress, equality, etc. There are some things I would like to highlight as well: the three stars are taken from the star shape found on the Digital Defenders section of the event's website, while the DC flag is added to the garter buckle on the shorts. @brathwaiteboy25, you wanted a Bullets-styled uniform, so here you go.

6YXFclw.png

9BgGYoT.png

lTXmuae.png

DjoCJqJ.png

• edjb93 changed the title to WNBA Uniform Concepts - March of the Mystics
On 10/18/2021 at 10:53 AM, JMtexan09 said:

I liked how you did most of every WNBA teams. Just one thing to keep in mind, the player names on back were supposed to be under the numbers, rather than over the numbers. Since most of every woman in WNBA wore ponytail hairs and their hair covered the names. That is just my 5 cents thought, sorry haha. Anyway, any chances you'd some former teams as well as Houston Comets and Orlando Miracle?

The reason I placed the player name on the back to be over the number was for the sake of tradition. In fact, before Adidas took over the uniform deal, the uniforms had the names placed over the numbers. Such tradition is still followed in women's college basketball. I also knew about the abbreviation of surnames, especially with players that are already married, but hey, we've got Shai Gilgeous-Alexander's example.

As far as former teams are concerned, I'm confirming that I'll create concepts for those. I just need time to think about the designs. It might be long, so I would like to humbly ask for your patience.

• 2 weeks later...

HOUSTON COMETS

I'm starting the second part of this series, where I'm going to conceptualize defunct teams. And what a better way to start than the league's first dynasty. The Comets had been integral in the WNBA's growth throughout the decades. Despite being closeted in templated uniforms, I think that the team's first uniforms are already iconic as they are. And so, I went with that design for the heroine and explorer editions, though I made some tweaks such as the tapered side panels (the originals had straight side panels) and faded, sublimated stripes.

Throughout the team's history, they never had a navy jersey, given that the Rockets had worn navy from 1995-96 to 2002-03, plus that starfield pattern is too good to be included in the uniform design. That's why for the rebel uniform, I went with that theme.

And finally, I was thinking about the women's history in the city of Houston, and I eventually settled with one of the Comets' own: the late Kim Perrot. The primary design of the storyteller uniform (recolored accordingly) was taken from her college days, playing for Southwestern Louisiana, now known as Louisiana-Lafayette. I was planning to incorporate the colors of the entrance to Kim's Place, a play area at MD Anderson Cancer Center for kids with cancer, but I thought it would be better to use the team colors instead. As a sort of icing on the cake, I put '3 for 10' on the garter buckle as a tribute to the team's battle cry upon winning their third championship in 1999, the year when Kim Perrot passed away. I can consider this uniform edition as a gentle reminder to today's landscape about the namesake of the league's sportsmanship award.

vbilKO5.png

rAHCO1Q.png

E3sdmqL.png

1zhKg3E.png

• edjb93 changed the title to WNBA Uniform Concepts - The League's First Dynasty
12 hours ago, edjb93 said:

HOUSTON COMETS

I'm starting the second part of this series, where I'm going to conceptualize defunct teams. And what a better way to start than the league's first dynasty. The Comets had been integral in the WNBA's growth throughout the decades. Despite being closeted in templated uniforms, I think that the team's first uniforms are already iconic as they are. And so, I went with that design for the heroine and explorer editions, though I made some tweaks such as the tapered side panels (the originals had straight side panels) and faded, sublimated stripes.

Throughout the team's history, they never had a navy jersey, given that the Rockets had worn navy from 1995-96 to 2002-03, plus that starfield pattern is too good to be included in the uniform design. That's why for the rebel uniform, I went with that theme.

And finally, I was thinking about the women's history in the city of Houston, and I eventually settled with one of the Comets' own: the late Kim Perrot. The primary design of the storyteller uniform (recolored accordingly) was taken from her college days, playing for Southwestern Louisiana, now known as Louisiana-Lafayette. I was planning to incorporate the colors of the entrance to Kim's Place, a play area at MD Anderson Cancer Center for kids with cancer, but I thought it would be better to use the team colors instead. As a sort of icing on the cake, I put '3 for 10' on the garter buckle as a tribute to the team's battle cry upon winning their third championship in 1999, the year when Kim Perrot passed away. I can consider this uniform edition as a gentle reminder to today's landscape about the namesake of the league's sportsmanship award.

vbilKO5.png

rAHCO1Q.png

E3sdmqL.png

1zhKg3E.png

It's real sad the League's premier franchise is long gone... 

XXFrXXX.png?1

140khld.jpg
7fwPZnE.png
8643298391_d47584a085_b.jpg

23 hours ago, edjb93 said:

HOUSTON COMETS

vbilKO5.png

rAHCO1Q.png

E3sdmqL.png

1zhKg3E.png

that looks excellent   is Cleveland  and Sacramento  next?

spacer.png

7 hours ago, Will94 said:

is Cleveland  and Sacramento  next?

Thanks for suggesting the next cities, but they're not yet in my priority list for now, since their NBA counterparts had already changed their looks.

6 minutes ago, TheSquirrel said:

What do you mean.

I would like to somehow mimic the looks of their NBA counterparts. If not the looks, then the colors at least. For example, I would like to redesign the Rockers and the Monarchs, since the Cavs and the Kings have already changed their logos for the past decades. But again, it might take time. I'm also currently busy with many important and urgent things now, so you guys might have to wait, but I hope it will be worth it for everyone here. 😉

On 10/21/2021 at 12:03 PM, edjb93 said:

WASHINGTON MYSTICS

For the final team—well, not the final one since I'm still making concepts for previous WNBA cities—I honestly had no idea on how to design the Mystics' uniforms. I initially went with a modified version of their current uniforms, then I went with a design inspired by the exterior shape of their logo, but to no avail. Eventually, I settled with a random design that somehow worked this time. The heroine, explorer, and rebel uniforms all get that same design, with different primary element on the front of every edition (moniker on heroine, city name on explorer, and 'DC' alternate logo on rebel).

The storyteller uniform is a continuation of the 2021 rebel uniform. It's a mashup of that and the Bullets-inspired association and icon uniforms I made for the Wizards. This time, I went for 'March' instead of 'Rise', not only because of the 2017 Women's March title itself, but also due to a deeper meaning: marching towards progress, equality, etc. There are some things I would like to highlight as well: the three stars are taken from the star shape found on the Digital Defenders section of the event's website, while the DC flag is added to the garter buckle on the shorts. @brathwaiteboy25, you wanted a Bullets-styled uniform, so here you go.

6YXFclw.png

9BgGYoT.png

lTXmuae.png

DjoCJqJ.png

The "D" of DC is almost invisible, i think would fit better if there a D white. 

Also, what a great thread i've see since your NBA Concept. So great!

On 11/13/2021 at 10:31 AM, Ukyo said:

The "D" of DC is almost invisible, i think would fit better if there a D white.

How I wish I could do that, but according to the style guide, the 'D' in the colored version of the DC logo is intended to be navy, no matter which background color it is.

7d426e09033146a8bfe412e52ccfdac7.jpeg

5 hours ago, edjb93 said:

How I wish I could do that, but according to the style guide, the 'D' in the colored version of the DC logo is intended to be navy, no matter which background color it is.

7d426e09033146a8bfe412e52ccfdac7.jpeg

Oh i see! What about putting contours? Is allowed?

On 11/15/2021 at 4:53 AM, Ukyo said:

Oh i see! What about putting contours? Is allowed?

I'm probably not gonna bother in doing that. If the team is okay with that color distribution, I'm sold with it.

Anyway, I'm already preparing for my next team, which is the Charlotte Sting, and that includes a new logo set for y'all. I'm still busy with work and other stuff recently, so I'm hoping for your understanding about my situation.

Going back to the Sting, I'm already at the stage of creating the storyteller uniform, which will feature a white base with two shades of green and a touch of either the team's gray or a darker shade. Now, why green? You can search for the city's website to find that out. Aside from that, I'll be basing my design from the Hornets' first uniforms since returning that name to Charlotte, but it will be a total copying of the design.

• 2 weeks later...

CHARLOTTE STING

The next team that came to my mind is another one from the league's inaugural season. While the logo itself can be serviceable up to the present time, it definitely needs a tweaking to match the styling of the Hornets' current logo. With that being said, this will be the first team in this topic to have a logo concept, and may I present to you... the new Charlotte Sting.

lrSBd8H.png

While this logo set somewhat retains the overall concept of the originals, I added a new 'QC' hexagon crown logo patterned after the Hornets' 'CH' logo. Why 'QC'? Well, it's because Charlotte is nicknamed the 'Queen City'. Also, something that wasn't done in the originals, the whole-body shot of the queen hornet herself, without the wordmark, finally gets some exposure. Also, you may wonder, what's up with the hornet's other hand? I made that pose for her as if she's guarding the ball from the opposing team, though I may say that she looks like she's pulling off a stiff arm against the defense.

Anyway, on to the jerseys. While the color distribution is based from the team's inaugural jerseys, I gave them a more 'stinging' outcome by incorporating a side panel design resembling a hornet's abdomen. Initially, I used the Sting wordmark on both heroine and explorer uniforms, but I eventually settled with the city name on the latter edition, which I originally used for the rebel uniform during the early stages of the design.

For the rebel uniform, I went all out with a honeycomb pattern. It is heavily inspired by the Hornets' 2021-22 city uniform, with the difference being the absence of the pinstripes. I felt that the color palette fits a 'futuristic' design, fading from purple to teal. Like I said before, this jersey was supposed to have the city name on the front, but newer ideas got into me and went with 'CLT' instead since it looks better.

Finally, the storyteller uniform that I talked about in the previous reply is now upon us. This uniform is predominantly white and contains two shades of green and anthracite as accent colors. The logo on the shorts' side panels is the city's iconic crown logo contained inside a hexagon. The design for the 'Queen City' script on the front was taken from the proposed new branding for Charlotte.

6QCvuZm.png

uBazYjq.png

JEus64o.png

m3jqT6Z.png

• edjb93 changed the title to WNBA Uniform Concepts - The Sting

Using that negative space in the “C-Hexagon” logo to make a ‘Q’ was a stroke of genius. We’ll done with this entire series. 

If you hadn't noticed, Chawls loves his wrestling, whether it be real life or sim. :D

• 2 weeks later...

SACRAMENTO MONARCHS

Another team that's well-remembered are the Monarchs. The team got an awesome logo that stood the test of time until their demise in 2009. But with the Kings' identity refresh back in 2016, I thought of giving the Monarchs the similar treatment, thus we have the outcome below.

OzuemP4.png

First, the colors are now in accordance with those of their NBA counterparts. Second, the monarch logo has a wordmark-less version, much like what I did with the Sting's queen hornet logo. Next, I refined the basketball on all the logos, so as to mimic the pattern of the WNBA's official ball, and yes, I changed the font for the city name too. Finally, I made a 'M' alternate logo taken from the wordmark.

For the uniforms, I went with a simplified look that features the repeating 'S' pattern taken from the team's final uniforms. It comes in three colors: white (heroine), purple (explorer), and granite (rebel). At first, I wanted black to be the color of my rebel uniform, but I eventually chose granite for a change.

That color change paved the way for the storyteller uniform, which features a vertical sash (a tribute to the old Cincinnati Royals' uniforms) with the city name on it and the color red (one of the team's colors). Inside the sash and the left side panel on the shorts is a different style of repeating 'S' pattern, which was taken from my Kings' statement uniform concept.

3XybILO.png

6yvtkwt.png

VW27zGo.png

WiK5I0G.png

• edjb93 changed the title to WNBA Uniform Concepts - The Return of the Monarchy
  • 2 weeks later...

DETROIT SHOCK

In what would be my Christmas gift for everyone, since it's just a few days away upon writing this post, I give you a SHOCKING comeback. I'm picking the team's blue-and-red scheme since it produced three championships, though the shades of blue and red are adjusted to conform with the current colors of the Pistons. With the Shock name going to Detroit, what happens to Tulsa? I'll probably think of a name that somehow relates to that city and maybe the Oklahoma City Thunder can have some inputs.

The team's final uniforms in Detroit featured bolts, and those have become my basis for the overall design of the heroine, explorer, and rebel uniforms. I initially wanted the same style, which is, same background color as the uniform and different color for the outline, but the final product became the better option for me. The team nickname adorns the front of the white and blue jerseys, while the city name is relegated to the red jersey, as the Shock never had red uniforms in its entire history despite being featured as a primary accent color since day one.

With all the shock and awe on the first three editions, the storyteller uniform takes us back in time. Extending the trend of putting Motown onto the uniforms (as was the case of my city uniform concept for the Pistons), this edition is inspired by Hitsville, U.S.A., Motown Records' first headquarters and recording studio. That landmark now serves as the Motown Museum, and what a great way to honor one of the legendary record labels than this uniform. In case you're familiar with the design, yes, I took the Pistons' 2020-21 city uniform and adorned it with the script and numbers featuring the same font as the one used in Hitsville, U.S.A.'s signage.

KZQ3uO6.png

0t8mQzx.png

jaRqJIM.png

jxjMNKE.png 

Archived