Heavy's NFL Europe thread 32/32 **Schwäbisch Hall Unicorns** THREAD COMPLETE!

heavybass

3 minutes ago, WideRight said:

One question, why Corsairs for Oslo, Norway?  A corsair is a pirate operating along the African coast of the Mediterranean, not really relevant to Oslo, Norway.  Maybe an Italian team, or a Greek team, or Istanbul, but not really a fit for Norway.  Maybe something about vikings, stags, wolves, blizzard, etc. 

Because there's another Vikings team in the ELF known as Vienna Vikings.... that look like Minnesota Vikings.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, heavybass said:

You can't please everyone.

This is quite literally the worst mentality you can have when receiving feedback. Revision is part of the creative process and you've shown zero willingness to go back and critically evaluate your work based on criticisms others have given you. You haven't gotten much, but you have gotten some harsh but fair critiques on the uniqueness of these teams. If you're not willing to improve, why even post the concepts?

Let's take a look at the teams.

NFL EUROPE: This is a lazy recolor of the NFL shield that doesn't provide enough contrast to justify keeping the letters red throughout your recolors.

LONDON: The first thing that strikes me here is how out of place the gold helmet is. The color hierarchy here isn't very clear, which is a big problem. To start with, I personally would give them gold pants, which would match the helmet and distribute the colors better. I actually like the jerseys themselves, the sleeve striping is nice and shows of all three colors well, but you've got the same color balance problem on the whites. Red is clearly supposed to be the tertiary color so swap red for yellow on the striping and numbers.

DUBLIN: Not sure what tigers have to do with Dublin, if I remember correctly your story is that this team was the "Celtic Tigers" before the owner of the Boston Celtics changed it but kept the logo. That makes zero sense. Are tigers known for their connection to Ireland? Dublin on its own could provide a myriad of excellent and unique name options. The jerseys themselves aren't great with their claw(?) striping on the jerseys but nothing else. I'd go back to the drawing board here.

FRANKFURT: I actually mostly like this one. A couple tweaks I'd make, however. The white pants could use both purple and orange on them, and some white would be nice on the purple pants. Simply fill in the purple stripe with white on the purple pants and the white stripe with orange on the white pants and you've got it. I don't like the number font you've gone with here or the outlines, both are too thin to show up well. Definitely drop the floating outline and just have an orange stroke around the numbers.

BARCELONA: This set is one of the best. Love the use of the Catalonia flag on the sleeves and the pants stripes and color balance is very nice. Only thing I'd change is putting a stripe on the helmet, but that might be a bit too tricky.

PARIS: The idea behind this one is interesting and is worth a concept. The helmet and pants are excellent (though I'd keep the blue pants on the road personally) and the center stripe is different to say the least. Personally I'd change it to a shoulder yoke that stretches from sleeve to sleeve to keep the same idea without interrupting the front of the jersey like that.

MILAN: This is more of what you should be doing here in my opinion. This is on the wild side and definitely gives off a "tier 2 football" vibe with its side panels. Ironically, I'd actually prefer white pants on the road to keep the colors consistent across the side. However, not sure why you chose Rhinos for a city not really known for that. Yes, rhinos are a cool mascot, but especially in this theoretical league, city pride is very important for European citizens and that doesn't seem to be coming across especially well here. This will be a bit of a theme.

LAZIO: The biggest issue I have here is the seeming preference for that mid blue over sky blue, which is gorgeous. I'd make everything that's mid blue on the roads sky blue as well as the helmet. I think what you're trying to do with the sleeves is have the wing extend on to the back, but it doesn't convey because you have the exact same pattern repeating front and back.

BERLIN: Gold helmet needs gold pants. No question. This is will also help balance the road set, which doesn't have enough gold. Same floating outline on the numbers problem here that Frankfurt had. It's too thin.

RHEIN: I really like this! It's a unique idea that effectively uses the colors and name you have. The only thing I'd consider is making the fire maroon on the whites. I think there's a bit too much white there as it is. As for the update, keep the gold pants, drop the gold jersey.

COLOGNE: Match the yoke to the pants stripes and you've got an excellent and unique set.

BRUSSELS: I do not understand anything about this team. Why are they the Tigers? I thought Dublin had the Tigers? Why are they blue and pink? That makes no sense for a Belgian team. The pants are really nice but the jerseys don't have any of the charm without the tiger stripes. Go back to the drawing board for this one.

COPENHAGEN: Please match the purple across the helmet and jersey. Vikings do it, no reason not to. Beyond that these are solid if uninspired jerseys that could really use something unique, like taking the pattern from the top of the rook and applying it to the stripes. For what it's worth, I preferred the large stripe to the logo on the pants.

BELGRADE: So I actually did look up Vukovi Beograd and this is what they wear - but that doesn't mean it couldn't be better. With a team with that much success you want to keep it similar, but perhaps you can adjust the coloring or colors themselves to diverge from USC. The update is on the right track - more gold on the roads, more white on the home.

OSLO: What? Why? Why are they Corsairs? Why are they double green? Why use off-white? Why is their logo just the Corsair logo? I can see it on my keyboard as I type this. It looks like you just gave up on this team because in my opinion there's nothing here worth salvaging. New name, new colors, new everything is in order here.

BUCHAREST: Solid set. It's just the old Broncos, but that's fine enough. I'm going to assume that the logo you're using is the real Rebels' logo which is why it gets a pass, but I'd put some stripes on the helmet.

In the end what you're doing is cool and you're not taking advantage of it. You have some lazily named teams, some lazily designed teams, and overall it's bringing down your concepts. But the thing that bothers me the most is the resistance to change. You act exasperated after getting solid criticism and being asked to change things which is only going to harm you in the long run. As a designer you cannot go only receiving positive feedback because you will make mistakes and you will be better for it if you take constructive criticism and learn from it.

• Like 5

the user formerly known as cdclt

I think you could learn a lot from this thread: 

It's a cool concept to create a European league, but this designer took the time to create a cohesive design and responded to criticism well. 

Also agreed on the block numbers. You have to figure out another number font. Look at the NFL- how many teams use the same number font as one another? 

• Like 1

Considering I work fast and hard.... so yeah team had to be changed.

But it's not Brussels... oh no.

spacer.png

DUBLIN SHAMROCKS
AIL4fc8uhRXBMIPsB18rxMUYtwrSiEwUAu7fEE1U

STEREOTYPING HUZZAH!

In reality you are seeing what would of happened if the Celtics owner had decided to change the team's identity to something spiritiual, something to connect the city with.

• heavybass changed the title to Heavy's NFL Europe thread 15/32 **Dublin Shamrocks**

I did mention that the new Oslo was a prideful bunch right?

spacer.png

OSLO HJORTS
AIL4fc_qGtLA6tcKpG2HOEIH_gAxJDijPtVy7efQ

I figured since the Oslo Vikings irl are the team of Oslo in European American Football, I figured I would take that prideful Oklahoma Sooner look and create an identity using Viking Red, Green and Gold... at least it's not the Texas look.

• heavybass changed the title to Heavy's NFL Europe thread 15/32 **Oslo Hjorts**

But wait there's more! There's a 16th team now and it's in Lisbon... and the temptation to create Sea Lions was very high but I figure there was a second option...

spacer.png

It's time everyone to welcome...

LISBON SURF

AIL4fc8MfEUNfpN1N42lfvEmbBUwq3tlb8J2HQU-

Turns out Lisbon is known for it's surfing scene so I took two sea based colours and created well this... their rivals are in Spain and Turkey... aka Barcelona, Madrid and Istanbul.

• Like 1

• heavybass changed the title to Heavy's NFL Europe thread 16/32 **Lisbon Surf**
  • 2 months later...

"brushes cobwebs out of the thread"

It has been a couple of months since this was updated but I figured it needs updating... and in a league that contains new and old NFL Europe teams, there's a side that in my head technically still exists in the hearts and minds of every concept artist... a side that began life in 1995 and was one of three sides that was originally added onto the classic three of Monarchs, Dragons and Galaxy.

Residing from the Netherlands, this team is well known for not only their look but for essentially sticking to that same look for nearly 12 years before they too were shut down.... and if you want to envision a modern NFL Europe then you have no choice but to add...

TEAM 17

spacer.png

AMSTERDAM ADMIRALS
AIL4fc9DeltatrfkixAFWcixsvZkBmPYrcLFMrrh

The Admirals of Amsterdam are a side that you know will always exist, I essentially call them the Chicago Bears but without the suck that the Bears have.... a timeless classy uniform of Admiral Blue, Orange and White but this idea essentially equates them as to what they would look like if they are still around.

So I added their green in places for enhancement... its not the mid 90's where blue, orange and green created that terribly good jersey, oh no the Blue helmets with the white facemasks are timeless and I did consider having white helmets at the time.

Rivals in their league are the Monarchs, the Shamrocks... and the Claymores.

• heavybass changed the title to Heavy's NFL Europe thread 17/32 **Amsterdam Admirals**
On 1/19/2022 at 9:24 AM, jbird669 said:

I love all of the updates and changed. Now you just need a league logo and you're set!!

How about changing NFL to EFL and changing each of the group of 4 stars into the EU star circle?