2022-23 NBA Logo & Jersey Changes

kolob

I always thought that purple, sky blue and kelly green would be a great option for them. All these colours are deeply connected within the Jazz' history and I think it could create a very Utah'ish look.

So basically just take the Mardi Gras colours and replace yellow with sky blue.

• Like 2

I'm a simple person, I have a pixelated David Beckham as profile photo since 2010.

3 hours ago, Berlin Wall said:

I always thought that purple, sky blue and kelly green would be a great option for them. All these colours are deeply connected within the Jazz' history and I think it could create a very Utah'ish look.

So basically just take the Mardi Gras colours and replace yellow with sky blue.

Nah.

g3vn6Rj.jpeg

• Like 1

Like someone mentioned in I believe the Jazz uniform topic, they should just rip the colors from the New Orleans Hornets before the change to the  Pelicans.

spacer.png

Just switch out the purple here with the normal Jazz purple. The creole blue and gold is close to Salt Lake's flag colors and the light blue can just replace green being similar to the 90's teal.

• Like 2

MetsChiefsEspnSig.gif

College sports as we know them are just about dead. The lid is off on all the corruption that taints just about every major program and every decision that the schools or the NCAA make is only about money, money, and more money. We'll have three 16+ team super-conferences sooner rather than later, killing much of the regional flair and traditional rivalries that make college sports unique and showing the door to any school that doesn't bring money to the table in the process. Pretty soon the smaller schools are going to have to consider forming their own sanctioning body to keep the true spirit of college sports alive because the NCAA will only get worse in it's excess from here

3 minutes ago, Telemundo219 said:

Like someone mentioned in I believe the Jazz uniform topic, they should just rip the colors from the New Orleans Hornets before the change to the  Pelicans.

spacer.png

Just switch out the purple here with the normal Jazz purple. The creole blue and gold is close to Salt Lake's flag colors and the light blue can just replace green being similar to the 90's teal.

Someone should throw these colors on their last uniforms to see how they look.

Something like Salt Lake Blue, Beehive Gold, Palace Purple (Palace i.e Salt Place)

• Like 2

MetsChiefsEspnSig.gif

College sports as we know them are just about dead. The lid is off on all the corruption that taints just about every major program and every decision that the schools or the NCAA make is only about money, money, and more money. We'll have three 16+ team super-conferences sooner rather than later, killing much of the regional flair and traditional rivalries that make college sports unique and showing the door to any school that doesn't bring money to the table in the process. Pretty soon the smaller schools are going to have to consider forming their own sanctioning body to keep the true spirit of college sports alive because the NCAA will only get worse in it's excess from here

I'll be interested to see how the Jazz pivot since they seemingly have a lot working against them:

1) Purple is essential, but saturated out west with the Lakers, Kings, and Suns -- they'll need to be careful in selecting the color(s) with which they pair it. 

2) They've already invested a lot in and committed for the foreseeable future to black and yellow. In reversing course, can/will that era - which was largely supposed to be Ryan Smith's personal imprint on the franchise - be scrapped entirely?

3) Their historical identity crisis offers endless options, but also makes it harder for one palette to appeal to the fan base at large.

At this point, I think the best outcome would involve converting the 2023/24 City Edition to their eventual Icon Edition and flipping the colors to create the accompanying Association Edition. I'm not sure about the logistics (timelines, rules, etc.), but from all I've seen most fans really like the design. It plays on the current trend of overwhelming '90s nostalgia, but in modernized and sustainable way. It focuses primarily on purple, retains the current era's black, and could serve as a perfect palette cleanser between all of the chaos and the eventual next iteration of their identity. Plus, since it's already out there and generally well-received, it's much less of a risk.

• Like 5

3 hours ago, iamdaviinci said:

At this point, I think the best outcome would involve converting the 2023/24 City Edition to their eventual Icon Edition and flipping the colors to create the accompanying Association Edition. I'm not sure about the logistics (timelines, rules, etc.), but from all I've seen most fans really like the design. It plays on the current trend of overwhelming '90s nostalgia, but in modernized and sustainable way. It focuses primarily on purple, retains the current era's black, and could serve as a perfect palette cleanser between all of the chaos and the eventual next iteration of their identity. Plus, since it's already out there and generally well-received, it's much less of a risk.

Not a fan of that new style mountain jersey design. The mountain rendering looks too generic and lazy being layered like that, and there shouldn't be any black. Gimme copper and sky blue.

There was a Jazz mountain jersey prototype or some mixtape-edition design circulating around that was much better than this.

41 minutes ago, truepg said:

Not a fan of that new style mountain jersey design. The mountain rendering looks too generic and lazy being layered like that, and there shouldn't be any black. Gimme copper and sky blue.

There was a Jazz mountain jersey prototype or some mixtape-edition design circulating around that was much better than this.

1 hour ago, LA Fakers+ LA Snippers said:

If you are referring to the mixtape design I mentioned, the one I was talking about wasn't this, it was some kind of a prototype or a Mitchell & Ness jersey that had the mountains with a modern single-color Utah wordmark from their previous identity and a simplified purple & teal color scheme.

3 hours ago, truepg said:

Not a fan of that new style mountain jersey design. The mountain rendering looks too generic and lazy being layered like that, and there shouldn't be any black.

I don't disagree with this piece -- despite popular opinion, I'm personally not a fan of what they unveiled. I'm a big proponent of continuing to push design forward, though, so I'm also adamantly opposed to the idea of just reverting to more detailed mountains, copper/sky blue, etc. 

Traditional purple, gold, green, and white with sky blue highlights is a good way forward for the Jazz. 

They've had so many disparate colour schemes already. Another one is probably going to do more harm than good, so might as well just mix the two most popular and call it a day. 

• Like 3

19 hours ago, iamdaviinci said:

I'm a big proponent of continuing to push design forward, though, so I'm also adamantly opposed to the idea of just reverting to more detailed mountains, copper/sky blue, etc. 

Sure, but not at the expense of good design. The way the old mountains were rendered and the shape achieved by using only two shades of color and very basic shapes, was rather simple, actually, and would work as well on a cleaner modern uniform.

Regarding the color scheme, as it has been gone over on here, there already are several purple teams with different supporting colors, and on top of the fact that copper and sky blue match purple really well and have already been part of the Jazz' identity that they can own, it would also be a simplified color palette compared to their 90s' package.

Edited by truepg
  • Like 1
  • Applause 1

jazz-uniforms-logo.jpg

I thought the ideal Jazz set was the one they just departed from (preferably though the Adidas-late-era green for the alternate). Purplish-indigo, darker and richer shades of golden yellow and green felt like a classy and modern take on what the Jazz have been before. This was one of the smartest modernizations in the league IMHO, showed how you don't need to nuke your brand every six years but also don't have to be a Celtics-level traditionalist, either, which is probably the space most teams should aim to occupy.

• Like 16
  • Applause 1

18 minutes ago, truepg said:

Sure, but not at the expense of good design. The way the old mountains were rendered and the shape achieved by using only two shades of color and very basic shapes, was rather simple, actually, and would work as well on a cleaner modern uniform.

Regarding the color scheme, as it has been gone over on here, there already are several purple teams with different supporting colors, and on top of the fact that copper and sky blue match purple really well and have already been part of the Jazz' identity that they can own, it would also be a simplified color palette compared to their 90s' package.

Good design is always paramount -- but I think that becomes an infinitely more challenging (if not impossible) task when you compete with nostalgia. The beloved '90s identities have become iconic because they were one-of-a-kind....often imitated, but never duplicated. The current Jazz Classic Edition is rightfully awesome, but something similar yet different would always be looked at a being less than; there's no replacement for the original thing.

I'm curious to know your thoughts, as well as anyone else's, on whether or not modernizing a '90s identity can actually be done effectively. Of the most popular ones - Jazz, Raptors, Grizzlies, Suns, Magic, Wolves, Rockets, Hawks, Pistons - none of them have tried. The closest example I can think of is the recent Suns leaks, which were scrapped due to online backlash.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, iamdaviinci said:

I'm curious to know your thoughts, as well as anyone else's, on whether or not modernizing a '90s identity can actually be done effectively. Of the most popular ones - Jazz, Raptors, Grizzlies, Suns, Magic, Wolves, Rockets, Hawks, Pistons - none of them have tried. The closest example I can think of is the recent Suns leaks, which were scrapped due to online backlash.

Last year's crop of mashup City jerseys maybe offered some hints there. I thought the ones that were both 90s-heavy, and decent, were maybe the Nets and Wolves. The Raptors have had a very long, slow uniform evolution as well that traces back to the 90s post-dino-graphic look, but is maybe too far removed at this point to be a good example.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, iamdaviinci said:

Good design is always paramount -- but I think that becomes an infinitely more challenging (if not impossible) task when you compete with nostalgia. The beloved '90s identities have become iconic because they were one-of-a-kind....often imitated, but never duplicated. The current Jazz Classic Edition is rightfully awesome, but something similar yet different would always be looked at a being less than; there's no replacement for the original thing.

The charm of the 90s' identities lies in its own way of being "over the top", and trying to "modernize" such a look would kind of strip it of its essence. The Raptors did something along those lines with the uniforms that followed the originals, which resulted already in a different, 00s' design aesthetic.

That's why creating a new "mountain identity" for the Jazz wouldn't be to replace the old one, rather than using those motifs for a new, modern, cleaner look that takes cues from the original, which is totally doable. The design that was on the Jazz prototype jersey I was talking about had already achieved that in a way, if only I could find the photo.

P.S. The Wolves had kinda made a successful attempt with their last year mashup uniform, but it would've needed some further cleaning up to take it to "modern" standards.

• Like 3