2022-23 NBA Logo & Jersey Changes

kimball

6 hours ago, GoGreenGoWhite said:

Paul Lukas confirmed that the reason teams can't wear cream colored uniforms anymore is because of the digital court ads.

So can the Nets corner the market on cream jerseys since their court is grey? And only wear them at home? Brooklyn Cream Nights presented by Junior's Cheesecake.

14 minutes ago, Digby said:

A Pawnee jersey would surely have to belong to the Pacers, no? Considering how they beat the Hickory thing to death and that kind of predicted a lot of the nonsense we see now... let's not give them any more ideas.

now i need this as a City Edition for the Pacers 😆

S06E03-F0LDv3oH-subtitled.jpg

• Like 1
  • LOL 2
  • Facepalm 1

5 hours ago, SSmith48 said:

The fact that we are at the point where we are cutting color options in favor of digital ads is shameful. The NBA opened up the door an inch with the introduction of jersey ads, and now they’ve let advertisers run roughshod over the entire league because of it, on the courts, on the jerseys, everywhere. It’s a growing trend elsewhere, but the NBA has welcomed it across the board more so than other leagues. The NBA has embraced the consumer becoming the product, that’s pretty startling. 

Sad thing is all this advertising will become more common across all sports. NHL is falling to it, the MLB is starting to. Only a matter of time before the NFL introduces digital ads on the field if they haven’t already.

Even though jersey ads started before, it seems like the advertising avalanche was really accelerated by the pandemic. Teams were given a built-in excuse (lost ticket sales revenue, etc) to put more ads on their courts (and fields for baseball), both physically with paint/decals and through digital ads. Now, even though things from a revenue-generating are pretty much back to normal, the horse is out of the barn re: advertising. No going back now ☹️

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, Old School Fool said:

Blazers missed the opportunity to put the carpet pattern in the paint. How do you make a jersey based on a carpet and then don't have the carpet pattern anywhere on the court?!

I don’t disagree purely in terms of aesthetics, but I don’t think we’ll see the Blazers do an alternate court anytime soon. The Blazers have been one of the most sustainable professional sports teams in the U.S. and have continuously been working to launch new sustainability initiatives in recent years. Their arena was the first arena to receive LEED Gold certification and later the first to earn O+M Platinum certification. There are other arenas that have since achieved varying levels of LEED certification, but the Blazers organization as a whole has been at the forefront of sustainability efforts in American professional sports. Alternate courts are wasteful by nature, so having one would be a pretty glaring inconsistency with the Blazers’ track record of sustainability efforts. 

• Like 6
  • Love 1

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

19 hours ago, IceCap said:

I donno man. 

I don't think people should be reliant on one-off gimmick basketball uniforms to learn something. Pay attention in school. Read a book.

Sure but I'd say that any stimulus which gives a chance to expand knowledge is good one even if it's a gimmick uniform.

16 hours ago, officeglenn said:

Teams can’t wear cream anymore because it interferes with the digital ads that are placed on the court in broadcast due to the uniforms being so close to the color of the wood that is keyed out in the process.”

Ok, I know that money makes the world go round but somewhere should put any border to that.

8 hours ago, upperV03 said:

I wonder if it's PE or they gonna put them on a retail like Dame 1 and 2 .

4r2eer.png

On 11/15/2022 at 11:47 PM, upperV03 said:

I don’t disagree purely in terms of aesthetics, but I don’t think we’ll see the Blazers do an alternate court anytime soon. The Blazers have been one of the most sustainable professional sports teams in the U.S. and have continuously been working to launch new sustainability initiatives in recent years. Their arena was the first arena to receive LEED Gold certification and later the first to earn O+M Platinum certification. There are other arenas that have since achieved varying levels of LEED certification, but the Blazers organization as a whole has been at the forefront of sustainability efforts in American professional sports. Alternate courts are wasteful by nature, so having one would be a pretty glaring inconsistency with the Blazers’ track record of sustainability efforts. 

The Blazers had three different courts from 2018-2021. The 2019-20 court was the 2018-19 court but stripped and repainted, but I think the 20-21 court was brand new. Since the Moda Center hosted March Madness in 2022, the Blazers could have taken the 2022 NCAA tournament court and repurposed it. Alternate courts wouldn’t be too wasteful if they were repainted every year too. 

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

3 hours ago, WSU151 said:

The Blazers had three different courts from 2018-2021. The 2019-20 court was the 2018-19 court but stripped and repainted, but I think the 20-21 court was brand new. Since the Moda Center hosted March Madness in 2022, the Blazers could have taken the 2022 NCAA tournament court and repurposed it. Alternate courts wouldn’t be too wasteful if they were repainted every year too. 

The 20/21-present court is still the same physical court as the last two versions. The press release from when it was released made sure to note that: “The Trail Blazers resurfaced the 2019-20 50th Anniversary Season court to this new design”.  

The press release for the 2019/20 court said the same thing and even hinted at the sustainability factor: “The 50th anniversary court is actually just last year's court sanded and repainted, perhaps as a nod to the team's sustainability efforts”

FWIW, I don’t even think the Blazers would get to keep the NCAA tournament court since they’re not scheduled to host again. It probably gets sent back to the NCAA so they can repurpose it. The Moda Center is hosting the Phil Knight Invitational in a couple weeks, so IF there’s a special court for that then maybe they could repurpose it for a future court. I personally doubt they would, though, and doubt an alternate court will be seen anytime soon.

• Like 3

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

24 minutes ago, upperV03 said:

The 20/21-present court is still the same physical court as the last two versions. The press release from when it was released made sure to note that: “The Trail Blazers resurfaced the 2019-20 50th Anniversary Season court to this new design”.  

The press release for the 2019/20 court said the same thing and even hinted at the sustainability factor: “The 50th anniversary court is actually just last year's court sanded and repainted, perhaps as a nod to the team's sustainability efforts”

FWIW, I don’t even think the Blazers would get to keep the NCAA tournament court since they’re not scheduled to host again. It probably gets sent back to the NCAA so they can repurpose it. The Moda Center is hosting the Phil Knight Invitational in a couple weeks, so IF there’s a special court for that then maybe they could repurpose it for a future court. I personally doubt they would, though, and doubt an alternate court will be seen anytime soon.

I would assume (I don't know for sure so take my opinion for what it's worth) that the Blazers could pay the NCAA for any court used at the Moda Center (after all, the NCAA never says no to free cash). If all these courts are being repurposed, including other alternate courts around the league, then it's already a sustainable practice.  Also, if the Blazers had an alternate court for a year, they could donate it to a small budget college in Oregon and it would be pretty beneficial and reduce waste.

My main thought is the reclaimed/repurposed wood industry is huge, and there are more options these days than "buy new floor, then throw it away in the dumpster." 

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

6 minutes ago, WSU151 said:

I would assume (I don't know for sure so take my opinion for what it's worth) that the Blazers could pay the NCAA for any court used at the Moda Center (after all, the NCAA never says no to free cash). If all these courts are being repurposed, including other alternate courts around the league, then it's already a sustainable practice. Even if the Blazers had an alternate court for a year and donated it to a small budget college in Oregon it would be pretty beneficial. 

Even if they could pay the NCAA for the court, I doubt they would (I personally think the NCAA probably keeps the courts and ships ‘em out to the sites). I just really don’t think we’ll see the Blazers do an alternate court. Again, if there’s a special court for the Phil Knight Invitational in a couple weeks then maybe they could repurpose that court. I’m just really doubtful, though. I’d be very curious to know what happens with other teams’ alternate courts. I would hope teams that have had multiple alternate designs over the years repurpose them from year to year. Even if they do, having alternate courts is an inherently less sustainable practice than only having one court. Whether because of the sustainability factor or the optics of the sustainability factor, I genuinely do not expect the Blazers to do an alternate court. 

• Like 2

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

So, I went to the Suns/Jazz game in Salt Lake City tonight, and the Suns were wearing thier new city uniform. I really like the idea and theme behind it, but the jersey numbers were really hard to read from where I was sitting (very top of the lower bowl). A couple of my friends I went to the game with said the same thing. The multicolor inline stroke causes a little bit of a jarring effect from that distance, and led to the numbers reading less like numbers and more like a separate graphic of some kind.  

I’m guessing it looks better and more legible for refs on the court, but it really wasn’t from at least the mid-level stands.

• Like 1

CCSLC%20Signature_1.png

5 minutes ago, FinsUp1214 said:

So, I went to the Suns/Jazz game in Salt Lake City tonight, and the Suns were wearing thier new city uniform. I really like the idea and theme behind it, but the jersey numbers were really hard to read from where I was sitting (very top of the lower bowl). A couple of my friends I went to the game with said the same thing. The multicolor inline stroke causes a little bit of a jarring effect from that distance, and led to the numbers reading less like numbers and more like a separate graphic of some kind.  

I’m guessing it looks better and more legible for refs on the court, but it really wasn’t from at least the mid-level stands.

Yeah, that's one of those things that tends to look better on a fashion jersey than one actually being worn in a real game.

• Like 3

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬