2022-23 NBA Logo & Jersey Changes

kolob

On 11/13/2022 at 9:52 AM, IceCap said:

I've never heard of this "famous carpet" until these unis dropped. Come on man. 

And now you have. That's the whole point of the City Edition series. 

I never knew about Boathouse Row in Philadelphia, the old Mecca court design in Milwaukee, the Guardians of Traffic in Cleveland, or the numerous city flags and obscure city nicknames before they made it onto NBA uniforms.

Some teams use the City Edition uniforms to showcase historical landmarks, beautiful architecture, different cultures, local icons, and whatever else matters to their city. The Blazers chose to showcase an airport carpet that is weirdly very beloved by the city for no reason, which is the most Portland thing that the Blazers could have done with these uniforms.

• Like 17
  • Love 1
  • Applause 3
  • Yawn 1

1 hour ago, fortunat1 said:

Does the success of the city edition program entice Nike and the NBA  to renew their contract when it comes to an end? Recently major US leagues haven't held a manufacturer for much more than a decade.

Despite Adidas' success in the NHL, their time with the NHL came to an end pretty quickly. Things have been successful so far, but I think that the next 10-15 years of NBA jerseys are still pretty unclear.

I don't see any outcome but Nike renewing the contract as likely. It doesn't seem like any other apparel company but Nike is interested in outfitting the major American professional athletic leagues at the moment. Under Armour had a deal with MLB a few years ago, but that fell through due to their financial situation and Nike swooped it up.

• Like 1

I mean I do think the City Editions are "for the locals" insofar as the teams that use local references -- worth noting that not every team even does this the way Portland does, FWIW -- that would resonate particularly in-market. Even non-City gear is mostly for the locals, that seems obvious.

But of course that doesn't mean the appeal outside a 50-mile radius is zero, or that they couldn't be sold elsewhere online -- you'll always have expats who still like their old hometown team, collectors who want everything, people who just like the design for whatever reason, etc....

The whole scheme, as I see it, is (mostly) geared toward pushing city-inspired streetwear lines with the established legacy team brands as the entry point for marketing.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, fortunat1 said:

Does the success of the city edition program entice Nike and the NBA  to renew their contract when it comes to an end? Recently major US leagues haven't held a manufacturer for much more than a decade.

Despite Adidas' success in the NHL, their time with the NHL came to an end pretty quickly. Things have been successful so far, but I think that the next 10-15 years of NBA jerseys are still pretty unclear.

Who can outbid Nike? That’s all it comes down to

1 hour ago, LA Fakers+ LA Snippers said:

On the topic of the future of NBA asethetics, I hope Nike loses the contract and adidas or UA picks it up. How likely is that? I'm not sure.

I'd say it's very unlikely.  Adidas decided to not renew contract with NBA before nike took it so I don't think now they gonna try to fight for it especially that they gave up with NHL in a same way as with NBA (and who know what happen with MLS). UA has no money for that which is why Nike is with MLB.

• Like 1

4r2eer.png

On 11/10/2022 at 9:17 AM, VDizzle12 said:

They went with a Cleveland Metroparks theme. Honestly don't know why they went with light blue instead of green if that's the case. Can't say I've been impressed by anything this "visual artist" has done since he was put in charge of the Cavs branding. 

4-lamar-edited.png?imageOpt=1

court.jpg?imageOpt=1

What exactly is Cleveland MetroPark? I thought MetroPark (the clothing store) died a decade ago? Is this the last MetroPark store still in operation, celebrated like the last Blockbuster Video in Bend, OR?

SPEAKING OF: Maybe the Blazers should do a Last Blockbuster Video store themed City Edition?

On 11/10/2022 at 10:21 AM, Magic Dynasty said:

Edit: I like the court though. It’s about time they did something with the skyline like other teams have.

8252-EC6-C-7675-4481-97-B6-F373206071-F9 

Not every city has an instantly recognizable skyline so not every team needs to put a skyline on its court. 

But Orlando, FL does have an instantly recognizable landmark who’s silhouette would’ve been perfect for the Magic and their Kingdom theme: The Castle at Disney World. A

On 11/12/2022 at 5:45 AM, M4One said:

Washington city court.  Don't know if posted yet.  There's a whole write up on ESPN that includes mock ups of other courts they considered.   https://www.espn.com/nba/insider/insider/story/_/id/34981405/lowe-incredible-new-washington-wizards-alternate-court-cherry-blossoms

spacer.png

So the Wizards chose the safe conservative route over much better designs in their  think tank? Lame 

9 hours ago, pepis21 said:

I don't know how it looks in 2k but in real life Knicks City court a little bit different this year than in previous.

That Knicks court… the skyline should’ve been on the court here, not crowding up the baselines where it’s likely to be covered up by cameraman 

• Like 1
NYCdog.png

23 minutes ago, NYCdog said:

That Knicks court… the skyline should’ve been on the court here, not crowding up the baselines where it’s likely to be covered up by cameraman 

Was watching the other night and it was, in fact, covered up by cameramen. Not sure why they didn't see that one coming. (Also I simply hate the Knicks wearing black!)

• Like 6
  • Applause 1

4 hours ago, pepis21 said:

Especially that no one said this 🤣. You're pathetic, seriously.

As @LA Fakers+ LA Snippers said... yeah someone did.

Now here's the thing pepis. I've never once used my mod authority in an argument here, because I think doing so is in EXTREMELY poor taste. But stoop to something like this again? And I will.

This isn't that :censored:ing deep my guy. I don't like  the carpet jerseys. You do. If that makes me pathetic? Well.. I've been called worse by better people then you I guess. But we probably shouldn't get into that.

3 hours ago, WestCoastBias said:

Some teams use the City Edition uniforms to showcase historical landmarks, beautiful architecture, different cultures, local icons, and whatever else matters to their city. The Blazers chose to showcase an airport carpet that is weirdly very beloved by the city for no reason, which is the most Portland thing that the Blazers could have done with these uniforms.

To me city editions...

1- are part of a wider problem the NBA has where team identities are becoming less and less cohesive

2- tend to reinforce the attitude of "It's different here. Unless you're from here, you don't get it," which is supremely annoying. 

There are no good city edition ones. Even if we strip away ALL the arguments about whether or not carpet can be meaningful... let's look at it on its own terms as a uniform. I see a colour scheme that clashes with the Blazers' established brand and an airport code in place of a city name. Neither of these are good things.

• Like 6
  • Dislike 1
  • Facepalm 2

1 hour ago, IceCap said:

To me city editions...

1- are part of a wider problem the NBA has where team identities are becoming less and less cohesive

2- tend to reinforce the attitude of "It's different here. Unless you're from here, you don't get it," which is supremely annoying. 

There are no good city edition ones. Even if we strip away ALL the arguments about whether or not carpet can be meaningful... let's look at it on its own terms as a uniform. I see a colour scheme that clashes with the Blazers' established brand and an airport code in place of a city name. Neither of these are good things.

Well that's a whole different argument (and one I agree with you on) than "I'm not from Portland and have never heard of their weird beloved airport carpet so therefore it's dumb wahhhhhhhh". 

1 hour ago, WestCoastBias said:

Well that's a whole different argument (and one I agree with you on) than "I'm not from Portland and have never heard of their weird beloved airport carpet so therefore it's dumb wahhhhhhhh". 

The two are interconnected 😉 On the face of it, the uniform in question clashes with the Blazers' established identity and references really annoying trends in the design world.

It's also bottom of the barrel scraping to reference airport carpet.

16 minutes ago, IceCap said:

The two are interconnected 😉 On the face of it, the uniform in question clashes with the Blazers' established identity and references really annoying trends in the design world.

But for Portland it’s really not. Which is the whole point.

• Like 3

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

37 minutes ago, IceCap said:

What did you want from Portland instead? Sublimated hipster flannel with an IPA label looking work mark? 

26 minutes ago, WestCoastBias said:

What did you want from Portland instead? Sublimated hipster flannel with an IPA label looking work mark? 

You joke but the Ottawa Redblacks made flannel work.

But ideally... what do I want from Portland? Eh... nothing really from them specifically. I just think City Edition uniforms suck because more times than not they degrade the established identity of the teams involved.

Detroit vs New Orleans shouldn't look like Dallas vs Utah at first glance.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, pepis21 said:

PC or consoles?

I don't know how it looks in 2k but in real life Knicks City court a little bit different this year than in previous.

I'm using the Series X, so I saw them on console first. Not sure if they've appeared on PS4/Xbox One yet.

As far as the Knicks court, 2K using the wrong one, so hopefully they update it to the correct one. They also had an incorrect court for Orlando's set as well.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, IceCap said:

Now here's the thing pepis. I've never once used my mod authority in an argument here, because I think doing so is in EXTREMELY poor taste. But stoop to something like this again? And I will.

You can't be a judge on your own case but sure use your mod authority although you'd need to use it also on yourself and other people who participated in carpet discussion. BTW by your behavior you proved -not for the first time- that you shouldn't be a moderator since you very quickly become aggresive towards others when something not going on your mind and I'm not the only one who noticed that because few people already told you to take your breath and calm down so you better think about it. Peace!

Anyway @LA Fakers+ LA Snippers has right let's end that s%&t and move forward.

5 hours ago, IceCap said:

There are no good city edition ones.

There is one tiny good thing about City editions and @WestCoastBias already mentioned it that sometimes you can learn something new about team, city, area or state. I by myself probalby wouldn't knew about Memphis sanitation strike if not the 17/18 Grizzlies City uniform but thanks to that I know now. I wish more Citys have some real valuable story behind them because it would give more sense to the whole project which is now very doubtful.

• Like 3
  • Applause 2
  • Huh? 1

4r2eer.png

6 hours ago, pepis21 said:

There is one tiny good thing about City editions and @WestCoastBias already mentioned it that sometimes you can learn something new about team, city, area or state. I by myself probalby wouldn't knew about Memphis sanitation strike if not the 17/18 Grizzlies City uniform but thanks to that I know now. I wish more Citys have some real valuable story behind them because it would give more sense to the whole project which is now very doubtful.

The program had this going for it for the first couple of years, but now I don’t think there’s much to learn from city edition sets anymore because ideas are being run out of, for the most part. You have some exceptions like Phoenix (educating about native tribes of Arizona) and Detroit for example (I learned about St. Cecilia’s Gym from them), but most of the league is throwing empty ideas around at this point. There’s nothing new to learn from Miami’s Mismash, New Orleans is driving Mardi Gras into the ground again, the Lakers have pretty much given up trying with theirs, and Dallas’ is pretty much just saying “the 70’s and early 80’s were cool…so yeah.” And that’s just a few of the uninspired issues the program is suffering from this season.

Don’t get me wrong, I totally see where you’re coming from and I do think that intent worked for the first couple of seasons across the board in the league, but that purpose is rapidly losing steam to the point where half the league looks like they’re just filling the uniform slot to say they filled it with something. The program has run its course and it’s time for the league and Nike to either pivot to a program with a different vision, or trim fourth uniforms out altogether and reset.

• Like 2

CCSLC%20Signature_1.png

1 hour ago, FinsUp1214 said:

The program has run its course and it’s time for the league and Nike to either pivot to a program with a different vision, or trim fourth uniforms out altogether and reset.

I agree with you on that. The biggest problem is that City is a yearly program so except few extemption every year you've got new batch of uniforms. If they only do this every second or even third year from the beginning they wouldn't run out of ideas that qucikly but of course money talks so it won't happens.

• Like 5

4r2eer.png