2022-23 NBA Logo & Jersey Changes

kolob

17 minutes ago, Digby said:

Are you the market expert? The Timbers had a merch line (though not a jersey) on this same theme years ago, before Nike even took over the NBA. The PDX carpet has been a locals' meme for many, many years. It's a silly thing but who cares?

I find it dumb. 

And no I'm not a market expect. I just find the attitude of "you need to be from here to understand!" cringey and now Nike's weaponized that to make ugly basketball jerseys seem appealing. 

• Like 1
  • Dislike 1

11 minutes ago, IceCap said:

I find it dumb. 

And no I'm not a market expect. I just find the attitude of "you need to be from here to understand!" cringey and now Nike's weaponized that to make ugly basketball jerseys seem appealing. 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ I mean, I'd certainly prefer for the whole City program to not exist. But by its standards and in judging NikeSpeak, "we heard you quirky weirdos love your airport's 90s carpet, so here you go" is a lot less nonsensical than "we are the knights of the Orlando kingdom" or "the Lakers are a blank slate" (what???) or "Denver has iconic architecture and that's what the blue lines mean".

• Like 8
  • Yawn 1

7 minutes ago, Digby said:

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ I mean, I'd certainly prefer for the whole City program to not exist. But by its standards and in judging NikeSpeak, "we heard you quirky weirdos love your airport's 90s carpet, so here you go" is a lot less nonsensical than "we are the knights of the Orlando kingdom" or "the Lakers are a blank slate" (what???) or "Denver has iconic architecture and that's what the blue lines mean".

ha, wait until you hear this 

99870-A0-F-D3-C8-40-F6-BC89-AB95238-D5-B

(yes this is real.)

• LOL 15

1 hour ago, IceCap said:

Oh so this is only being sold in the arena? Stop simping for shoe companies, man.

LOL. Listen those uniforms are designed for Blazers/local fans first and for others next. You're a Raptors fan so you're not a main target for those.

1 hour ago, IceCap said:

If Blazers fans wanted a uniform based on carpet- and I'll be real, I 100% doubt there was a large demand for it- then they're dumb.

Ask @Conrad. how many retweets, likes and comment he has from PTB fans after posting a Pdx carpet concept few years ago. IIRC even Damian Lillard himself retweeted it (Dame 1 and 2 utilized that design too).

1 hour ago, IceCap said:

Because it's carpet.

Very famous carpet. Even I, a guy who lives thousands of kilometers from Portland know that design and understand why they used it for City edition.

1 hour ago, IceCap said:

Again, outside of Central Asia... that's a yikes.

Ekhm Eastern Europe and Middle East wanna join into discussion.

1 hour ago, IceCap said:

0/10 🎣attempt try again 

I expected reaction like that xD

1 hour ago, DEAD! said:

Meh, OVO for the Raptors now is just lazy. Maybe do something with the Huskies or anything that connects the six boroughs? Or will that wait until Toronto is done expanding the transit system? 

Excatly, they could use Maple Leafs as an inspiration  too or even Canada as a whole (since they the only team from that country) instead of same black-gold scheme every year.

32 minutes ago, Digby said:

But by its standards and in judging NikeSpeak

Nike and overall marketing speak is funny but in this case they saying true so we shouldn't be mad at this.

• Like 3

4r2eer.png

12 minutes ago, pepis21 said:

Ask @Conrad. how many retweets, likes and comment he has after posting a Pdx carpet concept few years ago. IIRC even Damian Lillard himself retweeted it.

Can confirm.

if you click on the list of RTs, Dame is there. Twitter analytics says my tweet had 148K impressions.

• Like 8
  • Applause 4

If anything, I think it more speaks to just how out of ideas they are for City jerseys that a lot of them this year have turned out underwhelming and undercooked, even if they have decent inspirations, and then have ridiculous Nikespeak attached to their design elements.

Like, why is Minnesota's new City jersey just a bunch of colored squares? Oh, uh, it's based on a Bob Dylan mural to...represent the local art scene? Why do the Warriors have a stripe along the side of the jersey? To...represent the diversity of our area! Yeah, it's not just a stripe, it's a stripe that has deep meaning, bro!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, upperV03 said:

@IceCap did someone from Portland hurt you as a child? Sure seems like it.

Nope, I just find "yOu HaVe To Be FrOm HeRe To UnDeRsTaNd" REALLY dumb and pretentious in the worst way. 

Look. I'm proud of my home town too. But I don't have my head so far up my own :censored: that I'm going to tell you it's a magical special place where even the carpet has special significance to those of us who grew up there. Where I grew up, where I'm from, is pretty much like a lot of very similar places. Portland, as nice as it is, isn't some magically unique place either. 

The insistence that we need to squeeze meaning out of these increasingly niche references just reinforces the worst aspects of the "WHERE I'M FROM IS SPECIAL" attitude that births just the worst platitudes in sports. 

I've never been to Portland. I've never, as far as I know, never met anyone from Portland. One of my best friends just moved there and she seems happy, so I'm sure it's a nice place. 

But insisting that carpet of all things is special is just dumb. Sorry. 

1 hour ago, Digby said:

To me it's all dumb. 

"Well this dumb thing is less dumb then the other dumb things" isn't a glowing endorsement. Personally? I could defend the Magic and Lakers' unis but... why should I? No they're not based on carpet but they're still dumb. My subjective ranking of dumb things doesn't make any of them not dumb. 

So yeah. I'm with you at "the city stuff shouldn't exist." Difference is I'm not keen on following that with "but..." 

1 hour ago, pepis21 said:

I expected reaction like that xD

Sorry. 

"lol no your team sucks" is basic, sad internet discourse. You think insulting the Raptors' dumb city 💩 is going to get me pissed off? Please. I've hated the Drake stuff since day one. 

LOL. Listen those uniforms are designed for Blazers/local fans first and for others next. You're a Raptors fan so you're not a main target for those.

When these uniforms start getting limited to team stores in the arena and no where else then I'll concede these are for local fans. 

Very famous carpet. Even I, a guy who lives thousands of kilometers from Portland know that design and understand why they used it for City edition.

I've never heard of this "famous carpet" until these unis dropped. Come on man. 

That's the thing. It's carpet. It would have rightfully been laughed at before the uni world lost its mind. There are more absurd things to base a uniform off of than carpet, but it's a sort list. 

Ask @Conrad. how many retweets, likes and comment he has from PTB fans after posting a Pdx carpet concept few years ago. IIRC even Damian Lillard himself retweeted it (Dame 1 and 2 utilized that design too).

I really don't give a crap about how many reTweets something got. Share 'em while the platform still exists I guess. 

• Like 1
  • Meh 1
  • Facepalm 2

1 hour ago, IceCap said:

Nope, I just find "yOu HaVe To Be FrOm HeRe To UnDeRsTaNd" REALLY dumb and pretentious in the worst way. 

Look. I'm proud of my home town too. But I don't have my head so far up my own :censored: that I'm going to tell you it's a magical special place where even the carpet has special significance to those of us who grew up there. Where I grew up, where I'm from, is pretty much like a lot of very similar places. Portland, as nice as it is, isn't some magically unique place either. 

The insistence that we need to squeeze meaning out of these increasingly niche references just reinforces the worst aspects of the "WHERE I'M FROM IS SPECIAL" attitude that births just the worst platitudes in sports. 

It's just a silly little piece of local culture. Sometimes people take pictures with their shoes on the carpet when they land at PDX. Not worth calling anyone dumb or having their head up their ass about it. Take a breath.

1 hour ago, IceCap said:

I've never heard of this "famous carpet" until these unis dropped. Come on man. 

That's the thing. It's carpet. It would have rightfully been laughed at before the uni world lost its mind. There are more absurd things to base a uniform off of than carpet, but it's a sort list. 

2 hours ago, pepis21 said:

I really don't give a crap about how many reTweets something got. Share 'em while the platform still exists I guess. 

Dame tweeted his own Photoshop of it in 2015... our own Conrad had a very popular concept around it... I personally bought socks with this pattern on it as a Portland souvenir well before Nike outfitted the NBA. The PDX carpet has been a thing for a long time, I don't know why you're so set on denying that as someone with no connection to Portland anyway. Doesn't mean you have to like the jersey or anything else.

• Like 10

1 hour ago, IceCap said:

I mean, isn't that the whole point of the City uniforms in the first place? Taking imagery from landmarks from around the area and spinning it into a jersey. As crazy as it sounds the carpet at PDX is a bit of a local landmark. I'm not a fan of the over-saturation of uniforms in the NBA myself, but this is one of the better efforts I've seen from the City program.

1 hour ago, IceCap said:

But insisting that carpet of all things is special is just dumb. Sorry.

The carpet is notable enough to have a Wikipedia article, so I guess some people think it's special. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• Like 8

30 minutes ago, pepis21 said:

You should start and end with that because your ignorance doesn't mean that everyone else have same feeling about it.

I think you should maybe check yourself, and stop assuming your knowledge is the same as everyone else. 'cause really. Airport carpet? Yeah :censored: me where have I been not knowing about G-ddman airport carpet.

• LOL 1
  • Huh? 1
  • Yawn 2
  • Facepalm 1

2 hours ago, IceCap said:

I just find "yOu HaVe To Be FrOm HeRe To UnDeRsTaNd" REALLY dumb and pretentious in the worst way. 

5t3h69.png

To add, I've been thru PDX on a couple occasions and have never noticed their carpet nor would give it a second thought if I had.

But good on Portland locals if they want a slab of dated airport carpet to be their 'Golden Gate Bridge' or 'Maryland flag'.

• Like 3

6uXNWAo.png

36 minutes ago, Digby said:

It's just a silly little piece of local culture. Sometimes people take pictures with their shoes on the carpet when they land at PDX. Not worth calling anyone dumb or having their head up their ass about it. Take a breath.

"You disagree with me you must be mad."

You're better then that, come on.

No, I just think basing a uniform off of carpet at an airport is dumb 🤷🏻‍♂️

Like... that's the beginning and end of it.

Everything else is "how dare you not appreciate this piece of local culture!" like me not liking a basketball jersey means I must hate their city or something.

Like...I love Toronto. I've been through Toronto Pearson more times then I care to remember. I cannot tell you what the carpeting is like. I think it's maybe grey? Or blue? I donno. I'm not paying attention. 'cause it's carpet

28 minutes ago, gsn93 said:

I mean, isn't that the whole point of the City uniforms in the first place?

Yeah, which is one reason why they're dumb. Don't get me wrong- the bigger reason is because there's only so many ideas per team, hell per city, and burning through them all one a year tends to lead to stuff like "um the airport has fun carpet and um...Minnesota is coloured blocks?"

But a smaller pet peeve is that "you have to be from here to understand" tends to lead to rather pig headed attitudes where everyone thinks their hometown is magical in ways other places aren't.

"Cleveland's a blue collar town, you wouldn't understand Cleveland's love for the Browns" was the go-to example of this in sports for the longest time. Nike just found a way to work that into uniform "design" and because it taps into everyone's base tribal attitudes people lap it up.

So they tend to be ugly AND they're playing into some of our worst instincts as sports fans. Yay!

Taking imagery from landmarks from around the area and spinning it into a jersey.

Airport carpet is REALLY low on that list, man.

Monuments to city founders or local legends? Really groundbreaking architecture? Historically significant icons? Unique flags or emblems? Famous athletes? Even Rip City, despite sounding like a fart, was tied into Blazers lore.

Airport carpet? I'm sorry... that's ridiculous to me. And no that doesn't mean I hate the Blazers or Portland or Oregon or anything else some of you Swooshketeers think it means... I just think making carpet a local "landmark" and basing a uniform off of it is dumb.

Like... hypothetically, say this uniform is never made. And say I remain "ignorant" about Portland's airport carpet. Chances are if I go to Portland, I'm probably never giving the airport carpet a second thought. 'cause it's carpet.

The carpet is notable enough to have a Wikipedia article, so I guess some people think it's special. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

People need to stop holding up Wikipedia and Twitter as some sort of standard here. I don't even let my students cite Wikipedia in their research papers.

11 minutes ago, IceCap said:

People need to stop holding up Wikipedia and Twitter as some sort of standard here. I don't even let my students cite Wikipedia in their research papers.

I think his point is that due to it having a Wikipedia article, that makes it have some significance, even if you disagree. I do agree with you that the uniforms look ugly however.

• Like 2

Watch Katt Williams: Woke Foke | Netflix Official Site

Just wanna say thank you for doing the heavy lifting in this argument @Digby @pepis21, even @Conrad.. I do not have the energy today to do this with @IceCap, especially after already arguing with him about “RipCity” on multiple occasions and getting the same old “it’s dumb” response over and over.

• Like 6
  • Applause 1
  • Yawn 1

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

1 minute ago, upperV03 said:

Just wanna say thank you for doing the lord’s work in this argument @Digby.  I do not have the energy today to do this with @IceCap, especially after already arguing with him about “RipCity” on multiple occasions.

I'm Jewish my guy. I've dealt with passive aggressiveness on levels you can't even fathom. Either shut it or put up.

3 minutes ago, Jamesizzo said:

I think his point is that due to it having a Wikipedia article, that makes it have some significance, even if you disagree. I do agree with you that the uniforms look ugly however.

I guess my point is that Wikipedia shouldn't be held up as some universal standard of notoriety or significance. 

• Like 2
  • Yawn 3

26 minutes ago, IceCap said:

I think you should maybe check yourself, and stop assuming your knowledge is the same as everyone else. 'cause really. Airport carpet? Yeah :censored: me where have I been not knowing about G-ddman airport carpet.

But is not me who came here and screaming "It's dumb!" because of  unknowledge so yeah whatever. Over and out.

• Like 2
  • Yawn 1

4r2eer.png