New Soldier Field stadium plans unveiled

TrueYankee26

2 hours ago, Digby said:

Also are there any NFL markets where people DO regularly take the train in? I guess MetLife has those NJ Transit trains from Penn. I've always got the sense though that the NFL in-person clientele is even more car-dependent than the other Big Three pro leagues.

the Eagles actually pay for fares for some of their games, so it's a free ride.  Given that every one of the regional rail lines connects to a station where it's easy to hop on the subway, I'd say it's extremely accessible via transit, even if there's a substantial tailgate culture that fills all the lots.

I don't know the breakdown, but there's a sizeable number of people that take transit to Eagles games... even if, as mentioned, there's a major tailgating culture.

That guy needs to check his facts.  The subway schedule for Eagles games is more frequent than the normal schedule (it's basically just when a train overfills, it goes, and then as soon as another one is back, it overfills and goes, etc, with the only difference being some are local and some are express).  

Personally, I wouldn't go to a local event that required driving and being in a parking lot full of other drivers who have been drinking.  I enjoy a good tailgate - when it's someone else's!  I'll stick to the trains.

• Like 1

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

4 minutes ago, BBTV said:

the Eagles actually pay for fares for some of their games, so it's a free ride.  Given that every one of the regional rail lines connects to a station where it's easy to hop on the subway, I'd say it's extremely accessible via transit, even if there's a substantial tailgate culture that fills all the lots.

That's a nice thing. I'd taken the train to the Sportsplex in Philly before and liked the convenience. But have also heard complaints how it feels far from downtown and, being a stadium with both good train connectivity but also acres and acres of parking lots, wasn't sure if the train is actually a popular option.

The Patriots pay for the train to Foxboro just to exist for Pats games... riders still pay the normal fare. Cheaper than parking but also a lot less convenient, such is the Foxboro problem.

Showcasing fan-made sports apparel by artists and designers

Waukegan wants the Bears now. Should make a nice pairing with the Lake County Fielders in Zion.

Is anyone that far north in Lake County even still a Bears fan after the past three decades?

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

4 hours ago, Digby said:

In fairness I guess to Chicago, are there any public transit systems in America that haven't fallen off a cliff since COVID?

Also are there any NFL markets where people DO regularly take the train in? I guess MetLife has those NJ Transit trains from Penn. I've always got the sense though that the NFL in-person clientele is even more car-dependent than the other Big Three pro leagues.

The line has been closed for repairs since Covid basically, but the RTA in Cleveland had the blue/green lines extend to the stadium on game days. Was nice parking out in Shaker Heights or Warrensville Heights, or even closer inside the city such as at E55th or and just pay a couple bucks each to ride in. But the ride after the game was abysmal. The RTA NEVER had the trains running quickly from the stadium. Why? Don't know.  They should be lining up a few or have two connected instead of one double set.

But now you get off at Terminal Tower and walk the 0.8 or so miles to the stadium. Still cheap. But not as friendly.

• 6 months later...

https://www.nbcchicago.com/news/sports/nfl/chicago-bears/bears-doing-due-diligence-on-viability-of-building-a-stadium-on-the-south-lot-report/3296774/

The Bears are now claiming to look at the parking lots next to Soldier Field. Some of you may remember that George Lucas was going to build his Star Wars museum here but couldn't get it done. This, I think they could get done. The kinds of tax breaks it would take to get it done would probably require Brandon Johnson to sell out the idealists who elected him, but he's due for that.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

I didn't want the Star Wars warehouse here, either, but I'm not sure why the Friends of the Parks are protecting a parking lot. Also, presumably the old Soldier Field would be demolished and reverted to greenspace. 

The now-demolished Arlington Park would be better suited to alleviating our housing shortage than a Sports Containment Zone that no one can drive to.

6 hours ago, Red Comet said:

He's probably looking for something to hang his hat on come re-election. Keeping a team in town when they seemed destined to bail out at the 11th hour can only help Mayor Johnson. Even if it is the Bears. 

DSA-affiliated aldermen are going around telling anyone who'll listen that they're actually incompetent dolts who never should have been elected in the first place. I would expect Chicago to return to comfortable and familiar authoritarian rule by the next election if not sooner. 

• 5 weeks later...

What's new in Arlington Heights? Well, the village is getting rid of Friday night concerts in the park in the modest little downtown around our train station because the concerts are too popular, and the crowd noise and foot traffic surrounding, like, the northwest suburbs' second-best Steely Dan cover band is too distracting to everyone. And this is the place that's going to host the National Football League. All right!

• LOL 2

1 hour ago, The_Admiral said:

What's new in Arlington Heights? Well, the village is getting rid of Friday night concerts in the park in the modest little downtown around our train station because the concerts are too popular, and the crowd noise and foot traffic surrounding, like, the northwest suburbs' second-best Steely Dan cover band is too distracting to everyone. And this is the place that's going to host the National Football League. All right!

Bears are gonna regret dissing the city of Chicago even more when they see the White Sox plans.

5 minutes ago, TrueYankee26 said:

Bears are gonna regret dissing the city of Chicago even more when they see the White Sox plans.

the site the White Sox are choosing looks to be a good location and is within Chicago proper but whether or not it actually happens remains to be seen.  

• 2 weeks later...

Now the Bears are asking for Arlington Park to be taxed as residential property instead of commercial property so that they can pay a lower tax rate. What are they going to do to make this case, ask Jeff Joniak to sleep in a stable?

22 hours ago, The_Admiral said:

Now the Bears are asking for Arlington Park to be taxed as residential property instead of commercial property so that they can pay a lower tax rate. What are they going to do to make this case, ask Jeff Joniak to sleep in a stable?

And in the next breath, they're telling people they want to build a new domed stadium in the south parking lot of Soldier Field, presumably with loads of ISFA bonds because they suddenly can't find $200 million they had just a second ago, no idea where it went.

Now, call me crazy or a cynic if you must, but I am beginning to believe the McCaskey family may not have the sharpest business acumen.

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

10 minutes ago, Sodboy13 said:

Now, call me crazy or a cynic if you must, but I am beginning to believe the McCaskey family may not have the sharpest business acumen.

"We need help navigating the sui generis rat's nest that is Chicago politics, the same that we thought ourselves too high-minded to engage with for 40 years. The person who will help us: the dolt from the Big Ten office who sold nonexistent broadcast rights. He has what it takes." But maybe I shouldn't say that. He also took credit for closing a Minneapolis real estate deal involving a Minneapolis real estate baron. They couldn't have done it without him. 

I expect him this week to publicly kick the tires on Northwest Indiana and activate an even dumber and redder subphylum of Exurban Hooting Rube than the one activated by talk of Arlington Heights.

59 minutes ago, Sodboy13 said:

spacer.png

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

On 1/21/2024 at 2:28 PM, TrueYankee26 said:

Another thing I realize is that I can't see Chicago subsidizing new stadiums for the White Sox and Bears.  One of them is going to the suburbs.  

Ideally, one of them goes well beyond that.