New Soldier Field stadium plans unveiled

TrueYankee26

11 minutes ago, Sodboy13 said:

Ideally, one of them goes well beyond that.

Probably the White Sox.  The Bears will be somewhere in the Chicago area, whether in the city of Chicago itself, Arlington Heights or even somewhere in the Metro. The NFL is not leaving that market.  

1 hour ago, GDAWG said:

Probably the White Sox.  The Bears will be somewhere in the Chicago area, whether in the city of Chicago itself, Arlington Heights or even somewhere in the Metro. The NFL is not leaving that market.  

Didnt we say that when the  Rams and Raiders left LA in the 90s.  If the NFL can take not one but both teams out of the number 2 market, they can definitely take one out of the number 3 market.

Signature intentionally left blank

38 minutes ago, Dilbert said:

Didnt we say that when the  Rams and Raiders left LA in the 90s.  If the NFL can take not one but both teams out of the number 2 market, they can definitely take one out of the number 3 market.

The Bears leaving the market would be weird.  The last option for them I think would be Northwest Indiana, which is still considered the suburbs of Chicago.  But they still have suburbs interested. 

2 hours ago, Dilbert said:

Different scenario.  Neither the Rams nor Raiders were selling out games, had little local support, and no prospects of updated facilities.

While they play in a disproportionately-small stadium, the Bears at least sell tickets (even if people don't actually use them anymore.)  Also, while not the thought at the time (at least not publicly), a vacant LA was valuable to the NFL as a bargaining chip for teams looking to extort their cities.  I don't think a vacant Chicago would be the same, since I can't imagine the Chicago faithful welcoming in the Jacksonville Jaguars as their team.  They'd need a Cleveland deal where they're "reactivated" in a few years in a new stadium... but then just make the stadium now.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

This is getting too fanciful. The Bears aren't leaving. They're just going to make a complete hash out of building a stadium like they did 20 years ago. 

Remember that the Bears' small stadium is by design. They wanted a more select audience at games because these new-money bohunk-micks think they're Mayflower stock and that the Bears are a luxury brand. Didn't work; even with lower supply and more luxury boxes, Soldier Field is still full of fat loud morons. And I think it's also important to remember that in the new Soldier Field, the Bears got everything they wanted, made the rest of us pay for it, and now are already doing it again.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

23 hours ago, The_Admiral said:

I expect him this week to publicly kick the tires on Northwest Indiana and activate an even dumber and redder subphylum of Exurban Hooting Rube than the one activated by talk of Arlington Heights.

Bill that may try to bring Chicago Bears new stadium to northwest Indiana gets update

Hurry up and get it over with, just bring on the facebook dads from Crown Point talking about lower taxes, come on, I have a lot to do this week.

• 2 weeks later...
25 minutes ago, BottomlessPitt said:

Holy $hit!!!, Virginia McCaskey is 101 years old. Jesus H. Tapdancing Christ.

Billy Joel wrote a song about her.

So did Irving Berlin.

• Applause 1
  • LOL 2
On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

• 3 weeks later...

Kevin "He's Here To Get the Stadium Deal Done" Warren has been taken off the get-the-stadium-deal-done beat. Apparently waking up at 5 in the morning to engage in quiet contemplation didn't prepare him for a county government that wasn't as amazed by him as he is by himself.

Longtime Bears observers will note that this feels a lot like the time Michael McCaskey tried to move the Bears to Gary, Indiana and even failed at that, generally being so odious that the Bears had to pull random-ass Ted Phillips out of the back office and make him the new point man. Phillips then earned a job for life as team president by getting [checks notes] a hideous 61,000-seat stadium that everyone hates and is already in the process of being replaced.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Sec19Row53 said:

No mention of the "financial partnership" with the White Sox though, I guess that may not be in play anymore

I think the NIMBY groups in Arlington Heights were gearing up to pitch the hissy fit to end all hissy fits, and the Bears simply noped out before it got to that point.

So, after all that, they're content to move across the street.

The Bears' big Chicago plan is apparently "we'd help pay for something somewhere near the lake." It's light on details, but then so is the Arlington Heights plan--we've still never seen what the actual stadium is supposed to look like, just all the landscaping and the dumb little shops around it. I think they think this weak feint back to Chicago is enough to make Arlington Heights say "noooooo please don't go, we'll do anything, wink-wink. nudge-nudge. gluck-gluck." Even if it does, the county pretty clearly doesn't want this to happen, and that machine is still powerful enough to make this not worth the effort.

• 1 month later...

A meeting with "city officials and stakeholders" means no county or state ones want anything to do with this still. And if Brandon Johnson is out there dumb enough to throw billions at the Bears to fix their last mistake and replace it with a new and more expensive one - and he certainly is! - those rumblings about enacting a mayoral recall will get a lot louder.

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Cards on the table, Johnson will resign due to "mental health issues and spending time with family" before he can finish his term or get pushed out. What a disappointment.

They're not even naming the "city officials," which means he probably won't be there either. It'll be some guy from the water reclamation district who was not consulted on any of this.

14 hours ago, The_Admiral said:

Cards on the table, Johnson will resign due to "mental health issues and spending time with family" before he can finish his term or get pushed out. What a disappointment.

I know the popular line is that the city is just going to hand the Chicago Teachers Union whatever they want because Johnson is their guy, but between his base level incompetence and Stacy Davis Gates' incredible ability to erode support for teachers every time she talks, I believe they can make one of the uglier strikes CPS has seen.

• Like 1