22-23 NBA Season Thread

DG_ThenNowForever

I don't know if anyone is watching this Sixers/Mavericks game tonight, but maaannn...Kyrie and Luka are going OFF in this game...

It's been a good number of years since I last watched an NBA game from start to finish. I'm still trying to get used to near-seven-footers so consistently flinging it from [beyond] the wings...but this is the era of NBA we're in (thanks Golden State). Lotta ball movement going on in this game, definitely much faster-paced...but some of this freelancing also looks a little sloppy to me. (Amd when exactly did so many NBA players take to flopping like they're playing on a pitch?? 🤔)

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

1 hour ago, tBBP said:

when exactly did so many NBA players take to flopping like they're playing on a pitch?? 🤔)

Stern complained about it in the mid-2000s when Stern seemed to complain about everything, but I feel like flopping really took off post 2010. With the NBA's influx of Europeans and guys who feel sad about their friends, it'll get worse every week.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

When Shaq was in his prime and motivated (basically 1999-2002) pretty much the only way you could hope to beat him was to get him in foul trouble and get him off the floor or at least make him think twice about attacking and throwing his body around, so guys like Divac and other stiffs started overselling contact to accomplish that goal. I don't know if that's the actual origin of NBA flopping, but it's when it started becoming noticeable. Eventually Shaq got old and fat, but flopping stayed because teams found that it was also just a great way to either get free throws or gain possession for your team. The 00's Spurs with Parker/Manu/Bowen were pretty bad about it, then every elite perimeter player, who knew that they would get calls just for being who they were, started acting like they got shot on every drive to the basket, and it's just gotten steadily worse over time.

So... for the second night in a row I watched a complete NBA game on TV from start to finish. 

Look here: them Denver Nuggets are a PROBLEM. And as far as the Grizzlies go? Without Steven Adams, they fold like a lawn chair. 

Now mind you, I've watched parts of games before featuring the Grizzlies, so I'm no stranger to the way they play. I can see why they're the second-best defensive team in the West. BUT... they DESPERATELY need a strong accountable veteran leadership presence in that locker room, something like how David West was to the Pacers in the early part of last decade. As much as I like Steven Adams as an on-floor enforcer, he ain't that—although I think he could be if he wanted to. All of which leads me to Taylor Jenkins...because ultimately, this mess all falls on him. I don't know that he knows how to counteract Ja Morant's or Dillon Brooks' personalities, and it shows on the floor (not to mention the media). It's frustrating as he'll too because Memphis is one of the youngest and most talented squads in the league...but until they can get someone who can keep a consistent and well shined boot in their a**e* (that's another way of saying keep them—especially Brooks and Morant—in line), hey're not gonna mature enough if at all to close out games when it matters most—basically what Denver did to them in the fourth period last night. (And that's another strike in Denver's favor.) 

I mean, I can appreciate that they've clearly embraced the role of league antagonist, but even with that there's a way to do it...and they way they're doing it ain't it.

• Like 1

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

On 3/4/2023 at 11:26 AM, tBBP said:

them Denver Nuggets are a PROBLEM.

The season is a failure if they don't reach the finals this year. No reason not to if they finally remain healthy.

Also, only 3 games separate the 5 and 13 seeds out west. 😵💫

FqrK5_gacAAVg5G?format=jpg&name=large

• Like 1

6uXNWAo.png

Hoping for a big cross-town trade where their new superstar can hold a press conference/concert announcing not one, not two, not three...well, you get the picture

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

The Lakers should have made this trade months ago. This team is night and day different, and crucially, far better than they were with Westbrook. It's only been a month, but the team has been on a 50-win pace since the trade. Hopefully it's not too little, too late, but assuming they stay healthy and get a healthy LeBron, this team could make things interesting in the wide-open West come playoff time. 

• Like 2

Cowboys - Lakers - LAFC - USMNT - LA Rams - LA Kings - NUFC 

6 hours ago, Rockstar Matt said:

The Lakers should have made this trade months ago. This team is night and day different, and crucially, far better than they were with Westbrook. It's only been a month, but the team has been on a 50-win pace since the trade. Hopefully it's not too little, too late, but assuming they stay healthy and get a healthy LeBron, this team could make things interesting in the wide-open West come playoff time. 

Hot take: that team may actually be better without LeBron...or of James is willing to take a backseat and run the offense through AD (assuming AD can stay healthy, that is).

From the little bit of them I've seen the past few days, they got a dangerous squad over there. And who is that Austin Reeves character? Cat's a gamer, for sure.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Rockstar Matt said:

I can't believe they turned Westbrook into D-Lo. It's mind boggling just what an incredible makeover Pelinka did of the team while only using one of the reminding first round picks this decade. And that's to say nothing of the crazy bench value they got.

AD had 8 points last night, was -20 through most of the game, but they still won by 10. It's just a completely different squad now.

What a waste to have sacrificed the better part of two seasons on Russ.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

Jesus...the Lakers chose violence tonight. Early in the third, the Pelicans have gone on a big run to cut the lead to 30.

At one point, Brandon Ingram was -42. Yikes.

• LOL 1

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

Boston is totally spiraling all of a sudden. Rob Williams is hurt again, and is arguably the MVP in terms of how irreplaceable his skillset is. Tatum sure looks hurt but doesn't ever take a rest. Coach Mazzulla had a nice start but he's sure looking more and more in over his head as the season advances without him coming up with any answers. A zillion assistant coaches but none with any useful top-level experience feels like a mistake.

The Jazz can't figure out if they want to go for the playoffs play-in, or if they want to increase their lottery odds. 

Joke all year has been that we're so bad we can't lose when we try.

Bittersweet and confusing season so far.

Ainge is a miracle worker/should be convicted for grand theft. What he got for Gobert is criminal

• Like 1

spacer.png

57 minutes ago, RealSimsShadY said:

The Jazz can't figure out if they want to go for the playoffs play-in, or if they want to increase their lottery odds. 

Joke all year has been that we're so bad we can't lose when we try.

At 35-37 it's a little late to start thinking about lottery odds.

Anyway, watch the Celtics lose to the Spurs in Boston on Sunday. Just watch.

Luke Kennard...remember the name. Dude caught absolute fuego tonight!30 points...all on three pointers...on 10-11 shooting. 🔥 

That by the way broke the franchise record for made longballs in a game...and then Memphis went on to put 151 on the Rockets. Issues they may have, but man is that a fun team to watch.