22-23 NBA Season Thread

DG_ThenNowForever

If you were to guarantee a Play-In spot for the in-season tournament winner, that could be exciting. That or make the final of the tournament the all-star game.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

1 hour ago, TrueYankee26 said:

65 games minimum to be eligible for postseason awards

In other words RIP LOAD MANAGEMENT!

That's still only 80% of the games.  But while I'm sure players care about winning MVP at least once, once they do that, will they really care about the 65 game rule?  I doubt it will make much impact.  

It could never be done, but if they said "65 games to qualify to even play in postseason", that would make a difference.  But it's not doable for a plethora of reasons.

I didn't think a CBA could possibly get more complicated than what the NBA already had, but here we are.  It sucks so much that the average fan has to know so damn much just to understand how transactions work.  It also sucks that there's still incentives to trade for expiring contracts rather than players, trade for someone with the intent to buy them out and let them go to a good team, etc.

I get that there's no simply way to have a salary cap / revenue-sharing deal in any sport (or industry, for that matter), but the NBA's just seems like the most complex of them all (and I thought the NFLs with "fake years" that everybody knows are fake, cutting a guy in March but designating him cut on June 1, and all that nonsense was complex.)

• Like 1

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

I think this CBA has a lot to offer and it will likely be a net positive for the league. Incentivizing players playing more games is always a good thing, and it's a shame it ever got to the point where we are, where we accept players sitting (blame Gregg Popovich; he started it).

The NBA should probably get rid of back to backs, which would greatly help load management, though I don't exactly know how that's possible with a mid-season tournament (that would have to be single elimination to work, right?).

But even still, I think the cap nerdery of the NBA is a real turn-off to people not already invested in the product, especially at free agency and trade periods. Removing mid-level exception at a certain salary level should theoretically cut down on guys like Westbrook ending up on the Clippers for a song, though I'd probably need some more real-world examples of how this all works in practice.

• Like 1

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

I just remember the Sixers trading for some retired guy that hadn't played in two years (Mashburn maybe?) and thinking "this is the dumbest thing anyone's ever come up with".  And I still think it is.  I don't have a better idea, but no kid should need to even hear the phrase "mid level exception".  I think I'd prefer the anarchy of a capless league to one that's impossible to understand and results in a "buyout market".

• Like 2

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

13 minutes ago, BBTV said:

I just remember the Sixers trading for some retired guy that hadn't played in two years (Mashburn maybe?) and thinking "this is the dumbest thing anyone's ever come up with".  And I still think it is.  I don't have a better idea, but no kid should need to even hear the phrase "mid level exception".  I think I'd prefer the anarchy of a capless league to one that's impossible to understand and results in a "buyout market".

A capless league is intriguing to me, as long as it's combined with a draftless league. A team being able to develop its own players without distributing the best young talent to the worst teams is a great way to determine organizational strength.

On the other hand, the end result is (like European soccer) you have three teams dominating the league, which in this case would be the Warriors, Clippers and Nets.

A new broadcast deal is up next for the NBA and Warner Brothers Discovery has hinted that it may not need the NBA.  I wonder if NBC has any interest in bringing back the NBA?  Of course that would mean that the old school NBA fans will want the return of Roundball Rock, which has been used recently by AEW for The Young Bucks and Kenny Omega.  And then once the NBA announces their new TV deals, I can see them announcing the return of the Seattle SuperSonics and a 32nd NBA team, which will probably be Las Vegas (because of course it will be, although they shouldn't get an NBA team....or an MLB team or an MLS team but they will probably end up with all three) although it should be "anybody but Las Vegas" but it likely won't be.  

11 minutes ago, Cujo said:

Had to make sure that was Sham's verified account.

NBAPA's demands are goofy af. 

Why goofy? Tons of money in sports betting and weed.

Even more in team ownership. A slice of the house is about to become part of free agency negotiations and is an interesting hedge by owners again players demanding trades. Can you have inability to move on be made part of our contract if you buy into a team? Seems like that would be the smart way to go for all sides.

19 hours ago, BBTV said:

The NBA salary cap is so complex that it all but requires one to be an accountant and also a lawyer (i.e., Jerry Reinsdorf) to understand it, yet the league is still dominated by a small handful of teams. I can't imagine how bad it'd be without it. 

For me it was everyone passing around Tim Thomas's contract in the mid-2000s. The NHL is closing in on the NBA's arcane cap rules, though, now that half the Coyotes are just guys who retired five years ago.

• Like 1

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

14 hours ago, Germanshepherd said:

Surely encouraging players to get involved in sports betting will have no adverse consequences whatsoever

So this is going to lead to LeBron buying an NBA team and pushing said NBA team to draft his son Bronny so they can play together.  

15 hours ago, DG_ThenNowForever said:

Why goofy? Tons of money in sports betting and weed.

The cannabis add is strange because it's still (somehow) illegal in a lot of places.

The big one tho is the sports betting. Players dipping their hands in the gambling business has the possibility to become incredibly problematic. In terms of the league's integrity, it's poor optics in general. I'd also be willing to bet (no pun) that we have some kind of scandal on our hands at some point.

• Like 1

6uXNWAo.png

It doesn't sit right with me. There has to be a line somewhere that you can't cross nor bet on. It's especially ill-suited to the league with the most plausible allegations of rigging.

• Like 4

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

I think we've gone too far normalizing sports betting the U.S. anyway. I preferred it when it was limited to shady offshore betting sites and not jammed right in front of your face during every sports telecast.

I saw a comment on Reddit that was spot on, that we treat betting winners as people who can safely put their money on sports and betting losers as degenerates who would have lost their money anyway.

The U.S. has poor health outcomes in almost every facet due to under-regulation, and opening the spigot of gambling losses is just one more way our government encourages people to be unhealthy and destitute.

In that context, I think NBA players are savvy to get their piece of the pie. In a moral context, I wish it weren't even an issues. Smoking and monetizing dope is great; probably better on the whole than alcohol. But the gambling is a bad look across the board.

• Like 3

Active players being pitchmen is bad, the constant commercials are bad, but the current worst thing about the legal app gambling to me is the way all the media members have supposedly become gambling experts overnight. The analysts who've been around for years suddenly framing all their analysis through the lens of the odds. It's not even ads, it's just become one and the same with the content of the programming itself. Just a total abdication of whatever regulatory framework we should have had here.

• Like 5