22-23 NBA Season Thread

DG_ThenNowForever

16 hours ago, Cujo said:

Gobert threw the first swing and immediately backpedaled halfway to the locker room -- which came as no surprise.

Also,

FtTOt6BWYAAuDTZ?format=jpg&name=900x900

He hasn't learned to keep his hands to himself, yet?!?!?!?!

• LOL 2
  • Facepalm 1

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

Playoff predictions?

EAST

Milwaukee over Atlanta

Boston over Miami

Philly over Brooklyn

New York over Cleveland

Denver over New Orleans

Lakers over Memphis

Suns over Clippers

Warriors over Kings

Milwuakee over New York

Boston over Philly

Phoenix over Denver

Golden State over Lakers

Milwaukee over Boston

Phoenix over Golden State

Milwaukee over Phoenix

• Like 1

sig.png

The Mavs tankapalooza is interesting because it wasn’t for lottery chances, but because of the pick protection and potentially owing the Knicks that pick. Obviously it’s hilarious that this was even in play due to their own crumminess the second half of the year. But the whole pick-protection thing has always seemed obnoxious and this was maybe the worst outcome of that technique yet.

Yeah I really think it's about time the NBA redo this whole draft process—all these "protected/unprotected" picks, the lottery, all of it. Simplify...not overcomplicate.

*Says the guy with little to no business acumen 🤦🏿*

• Like 1

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

15 minutes ago, tBBP said:

Yeah I really think it's about time the NBA redo this whole draft process—all these "protected/unprotected" picks, the lottery, all of it. Simplify...not overcomplicate.

*Says the guy with little to no business acumen 🤦🏿*

You need a phd is bull:censored: to be an NBA GM, between draft lottery, protected in protected picks, you can’t trade draft picks on draft night so instead you have to do some convoluted process of a team drafting a guy where everyone knows he’s going to team B. Then you have salary caps, that don’t seem to matter because you can super max players and they don’t count towards your cap, but then if you go over the cap too much you pay a tax, but that’s only when you resign current players not bring in new players. Then if a player wants to go to another team in free agency but still wants a super max you have to sign him first then trade him to the team he wants to go to.  And I’m sure I’m missing about a dozen other convoluted rules GM’s follow

22 hours ago, SCMODS said:

Wrong. If the Warriors are a 6 seed and the Lakers are 7 and they both win their first round series they would meet in the second round. NBA doesn't re-seed. 

Huh, what? Assuming Denver and Phoenix win, they would be the top two seeds remaining and GS and LAL would be the two lowest. The Lakers (7) would play the Nuggets (1) and the Suns (4) against the Warriors (6). When did they ever change from highest seed vs. lowest seed?

2023-Playoffs-Bracket-Update041023-784x4

This is the bracket. If the Lakers win tomorrow and beat the Grizzlies and the Warriors beat the Kings, they'd meet in the second round.

The bracket is structured that if it higher seeds win, the 1 plays the 4 and the 2 plays the 3. However, if lower seeds win, the bracket remains the same. So you could see the Clippers playing the Thunder in the second round, just like you could see the Lakers player the Warriors, also in the second round. Once again, the NBA doesn't re-seed.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

Okay. That isn't what I'm use to seeing when it comes to a playoff system. Feels like I need the play-in to sort itself out first before thinking of who goes against who because honestly, that's all rather confusing. I know the number one seed gets home field, but the fact that they could play a statistically (or on paper) better team in just the second round feels like a liability for them. I don't believe the Nuggets would want to play a team like the Suns that early.

I'm guessing this was implemented with the creation of the play-in, because I don't ever remember seeing this.

2 minutes ago, Dynasty said:

Okay. That isn't what I'm use to seeing when it comes to a playoff system. Feels like I need the play-in to sort itself out first before thinking of who goes against who because honestly, that's all rather confusing. I know the number one seed gets home field, but the fact that they could play a statistically (or on paper) better team in just the second round feels like a liability for them.

I'm guessing this was implemented with the creation of the play-in, because I don't ever remember seeing this.

It's the same thing, except the 7 and 8 seeds are up in the air. The winner of the 7/8 play-in is the 7 seed, and plays the 2 seed. The winner of the 9/10 plays the loser of the 7/8 game, and they'll be the 8 seed and will play the 1.

Ultimately, after the quick play-in round, you still end up with a playoff bracket seeded 1-8. Though I guess what would be weird is if LA or Miami end up losing the 7/8 game but winning the follow-up, and then the 1 plays the regular season 7.

• Like 1

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

33 minutes ago, DG_ThenNowForever said:

It's the same thing, except the 7 and 8 seeds are up in the air. The winner of the 7/8 play-in is the 7 seed, and plays the 2 seed. The winner of the 9/10 plays the loser of the 7/8 game, and they'll be the 8 seed and will play the 1.

Ultimately, after the quick play-in round, you still end up with a playoff bracket seeded 1-8. Though I guess what would be weird is if LA or Miami end up losing the 7/8 game but winning the follow-up, and then the 1 plays the regular season 7.

Yeah, I think I get that part. I just don't think it's fair for a team like the Nuggets, a top ranked seed, to not get to play the lowest seed remaining. They earned the right to that and instead, there is a possibility that they play the best team remaining seeding-wise, earlier than they should.

17 minutes ago, Dynasty said:

Yeah, I think I get that part. I just don't think it's fair for a team like the Nuggets, a top ranked seed, to not get to play the lowest seed remaining. They earned the right to that and instead, there is a possibility that they play the best team remaining seeding-wise, earlier than they should.

I'm not sure I follow. The idea is the 1 beats the 8 and the 4 beats the 5. On the other side, the 2 beats the 7 and the 3 beats the 6. That leaves 1 v 4 and 2 v3. How would the Nuggets be playing the best remaining seed earlier than they should?

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, DG_ThenNowForever said:

I'm not sure I follow. The idea is the 1 beats the 8 and the 4 beats the 5. On the other side, the 2 beats the 7 and the 3 beats the 6. That leaves 1 v 4 and 2 v3. How would the Nuggets be playing the best remaining seed earlier than they should?

It was in response to someone else's post about the Lakers and Warriors being able to meet in the second round, while Denver would get Phoenix.

3 minutes ago, Dynasty said:

It was in response to someone else's post about the Lakers and Warriors being able to meet in the second round, while Denver would get Phoenix.

But the corollary is the Timberwolves/Pelicans/Thunder playing the Clippers in the second round. 🤷

28 minutes ago, DG_ThenNowForever said:

But the corollary is the Timberwolves/Pelicans/Thunder playing the Clippers in the second round. 🤷

Alright?

All I'm saying is the highest seed remaining should be guaranteed to play the lowest seed remaining throughout out the playoffs, regardless of the outcomes of the other matchups.

7 minutes ago, Dynasty said:

Alright?

All I'm saying is the highest seed remaining should be guaranteed to play the lowest seed remaining throughout out the playoffs, regardless of the outcomes of the other matchups.

Oh.

I see. I disagree. The bracket is the bracket, same as the NCAA tournament.

Reseeding isn't very sporting. Set the bracket and it falls how it falls.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, gosioux76 said:

This is a really appealing playoff lineup. There are no foreordained winners here. While there's favorites, almost any of these teams could go on a run. That's the way it should be. I'm looking forward to watching it. 

Agreed. Two years in a row that the playoffs feel pretty open, due in part to injuries. I think the Suns would be the favorites if everyone was young and healthy, but can anyone really trust KD? (Fully prepared to look stupid in a month)

I'm expecting a 2022 Finals repeat, and I'll have finally run out of excuses for why these Warriors aren't one of the great teams of all time.

That's my head though. My heart is hoping for Lakers/Bucks.

• Like 1

As will I...provided I get the time off to do so. 🙂

This postseason field is reminding me a lot of 200-11, probably the most wide-open and crazy NBA postseason tourney in recent memory. If you need a refresher, that was the year that, among other things, the Chicago Bulls found themselves back up on top of the East (though it didn't last, thanks to the Heatles); top-seeded San Antonio lost in the first round to the 8-seed Memphis Grizzlies (also their first playoff series win); the Lakers got swept out of the tourney by the Mavericks...and oh yeah, Dirk Nowitzki went OFF—like, mana straight owned the postseason. Oh and the Mavericks somehow pulled off two separate 15-po8nt comeback wins en route to the title over those same Heatles...you might remember LeBron going ice cold in that final.

Speaking of LeBron, just my Grizzlies' luck that they draw the Lakers in round one. I don't know where they left their defense over the part few weeks, but LAL is the wrong team to be sleepwalking against on defense. Unless Kenny Lofton Jr defense his inner Zach Randolph and beasts out in the series, as much as I want them to win I don't see Memphis making it past six games. And I don't see anyone beating the Bucks in the final either...

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||