North American Pro Soccer 2023

Brian in Boston

Slight update. It appears the game highlights have been uploaded to the individual team's youtube page today. I'm personally waiting for the "all goals from week 1" video to drop anywhere.

Hotter Than July > Thriller

Three more team listed for The Soccer Tournament. Didn't see any announcements on social media for them though.

Soccer Teams Archive - TBT & TST (thetournament.com)

Raleigh Rebels FC

Raleigh Rebels FC - TBT & TST (thetournament.com)

Say Word FC

Say Word FC - TBT & TST (thetournament.com)

Dallas Soccer Alliance

Dallas Soccer Alliance - TBT & TST (thetournament.com)

50 minutes ago, Digby said:

Remind me again why we care about The Soccer Tournament and need to hear about every single team involved?

I'm barely putting together what it is, but I think it's neat. I like the updates.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

I’m traveling this weekend and can’t cast my laptop screen to the TV, so if I watch any MLS tonight it’ll have to be just streaming on my laptop like I used to have to do watching the EPL in college. Ironically I watched the EPL on this very same television this morning. It’s got the local channel that the Revs *used* to be on…

I started watching Severance on an airplane last week, which turned into me signing up to Apple TV to finish the show, which turned into me getting MLS Pass.

So it all worked and I'm a big sucker.

That said, the app experience is way better than ESPN+ was, so good job there. And on my Xbox, the game is broadcast in HDR, which is unexpected but welcome too.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

8 hours ago, Digby said:

Remind me again why we care about The Soccer Tournament and need to hear about every single team involved?

Where else would you suggest news about a pro soccer tournament in North America be posted?

1 hour ago, 4_tattoos said:

Where else would you suggest news about a pro soccer tournament in North America be posted?

A pro soccer tournament that has never happened previously and isn’t even notable enough to merit a Wikipedia entry? I just think we could be more selective about what counts as “news” there frankly. 

12 minutes ago, Digby said:

A pro soccer tournament that has never happened previously and isn’t even notable enough to merit a Wikipedia entry? I just think we could be more selective about what counts as “news” there frankly. 

Don't know what to tell you then. It meets my criteria 🤷🏾‍♂️

54 minutes ago, Digby said:

I mean, we report on FCF every year, it's pretty much the same thing.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

Looks like things are back to normal on the MLS YouTube channel. The highlights from all of yesterday's games have been posted as of this morning. Even the LAFC/Portland match which was on Fox. In previous years highlights from nationally televised games were posted a couple days later.

https://theathletic.com/4279165/2023/03/06/mls-st-louis-expansion-garber/

For subscribers, interesting piece on how MLS needing its classic clubs to get better (business-wise) in the wake of the new trendy success stories.

Though you could also look at it as the two originals in last year's top ten attendance are LA Galaxy (who still outdraw LAFC) and the Revolution (who still play in Foxborough), so let's be careful about leaning into the easy narratives too much.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Digby said:

https://theathletic.com/4279165/2023/03/06/mls-st-louis-expansion-garber/

For subscribers, interesting piece on how MLS needing its classic clubs to get better (business-wise) in the wake of the new trendy success stories.

Though you could also look at it as the two originals in last year's top ten attendance are LA Galaxy (who still outdraw LAFC) and the Revolution (who still play in Foxborough), so let's be careful about leaning into the easy narratives too much.

That was a really interesting story. As much as we celebrate the success of expansion, and could envision untraditional expansion markets as perhaps mirroring that success, it's good to see that the league realizes that it can't grow without fixing its existing big markets. This paragraph from the story was insightful:

As one executive put it to me recently, it’s fine that MLS is chasing the next Nashville or St. Louis. Maybe Detroit or Sacramento or Phoenix can pop in the way these expansion markets have in recent years. But the league won’t grow as much from adding two more cities as it will from fixing the markets that lag behind (though it doesn’t have to be mutually exclusive either)

1 hour ago, gosioux76 said:

That was a really interesting story. As much as we celebrate the success of expansion, and could envision untraditional expansion markets as perhaps mirroring that success, it's good to see that the league realizes that it can't grow without fixing its existing big markets. This paragraph from the story was insightful:

Yeah, there's definitely only so many new markets you can get to (it's why the league leaves itself open to the Pyramid Scheme jabs), and even with those the luster will eventually wear off. I'm old enough to remember when even NYCFC was doing 50% better numbers attendance-wise. Maybe they've figured out sustainability on the roster sheet in a way NASL never did, but the business-side sustainability remains a question mark I think.

• Like 1