North American Pro Soccer 2023

Brian in Boston

3 hours ago, BrySmalls said:

Announcing yet another new playoff format 6 days before the season starts is a bush league move! It's MLS' modus operandi!!

I'm starting to think they base decisions on the Major League movie franchise. 

• Like 1
  • LOL 1

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

4 hours ago, WestCoastBias said:

Notre Dame already uses Soldier Field for the Shamrock Series (2012 and 2021). Northwestern though plays games occasionally at Wrigley (2010, 2021, and 2023) and will also need a temporary home when they tear down Ryan Field and build a new stadium on the same site. 

Wait.... I thought Notre Dame were the ones that played games at Wrigley? Why would Northwestern even need to play home games outside of their own stadium?

Hotter Than July > Thriller

1 hour ago, 4_tattoos said:

Wait.... I thought Notre Dame were the ones that played games at Wrigley? Why would Northwestern even need to play home games outside of their own stadium?

Northwestern is tearing Ryan Field down to the studs and rebuilding, so at least a two year stay at Soldier Field.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

8 minutes ago, MJWalker45 said:

Northwestern is tearing Ryan Field down to the studs and rebuilding, so at least a two year stay at Soldier Field.

Oh no. I meant to say, why was Northwestern playing games at Wrigley when their own stadium was (assuming) available?

1 hour ago, McCall said:

My guess is San Diego (based on infrastructure being already in place, i.e., Snapdragon Stadium). And I expect Indy to be added to the "beyond 30" list with their pending new stadium plans.

San Diego is ahead of Las Vegas.  They have the stadium and the rumored owners, neither of which Vegas has at the moment.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, GDAWG said:

San Diego is ahead of Las Vegas.  They have the stadium and the rumored owners, neither of which Vegas has at the moment.  

A Las Vegas MLS expansion bid does, in fact, have investor-operators. American Wes Edens and Egyptian Nassef Sawiris - billionaire partners in the ownership of Premier League club Aston Villa FC - have been in discussions with Major League Soccer on bringing a franchise to the market. 

As for a stadium in Las Vegas, Edens and Sawiris have reportedly gone back and forth between a pair of ideas.  The first would be building a soccer-specific facility on a portion of a 110 acre site on the Las Vegas Strip  that is controlled by Fortress Investment Group (of which Edens is a co-founder and  principal). Said site is set to house a mixed-use development including the terminal for the proposed Los Angeles-to-Las Vegas Brightline West high-speed rail project (also owned by Fortress Investment Group). The second would be to see whether or not reasonable lease arrangements could  be worked out to share Allegiant Stadium with the Raiders and UNLV.

6 hours ago, McCall said:

My guess is San Diego (based on infrastructure being already in place, i.e., Snapdragon Stadium). 

I get why, based upon the performance of the NWSL's San Diego Wave last year, why Snapdragon would be seen as the ideal venue. But it doesn't exactly fit the typical profile for MLS.

It's owned by a university and, from looking at its website, already has four different sports tenants: SDSU football, San Diego Wave (NWSL), San Diego Legion (Major League Rugby) and the San Diego Seals (National Lacrosse League.)

I can't think of another situation outside of NFL venues where the MLS team wouldn't be the primary or controlling tenant of their home stadium. 

If anything, I think MLS would accept Snapdragon as a temporary home, but I expect they'd want to see a stadium development plan as part of any expansion bid.  

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, gosioux76 said:

It's owned by a university and, from looking at its website, already has four different sports tenants: SDSU football, San Diego Wave (NWSL), San Diego Legion (Major League Rugby) and the San Diego Seals (National Lacrosse League.)

The Seals are an indoor lacrosse league, but three teams are hard to deal with. 

• Like 1
  • LOL 1

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

4 hours ago, MJWalker45 said:

The Seals are an indoor lacrosse league, but three teams are hard to deal with. 

IDK, I can imagine the rugby team getting the boot from Snapdragon at some point. In my mind SD State could become snobby about who gets to use the stadium if MLS and PAC-12 come into the picture.

23 minutes ago, 4_tattoos said:

IDK, I can imagine the rugby team getting the boot from Snapdragon at some point. In my mind SD State could become snobby about who gets to use the stadium if MLS and PAC-12 come into the picture.

But that’s not really the point. If you’re investing $200M+ for a MLS expansion team, would you really want to be the secondary tenant in a college football stadium? 

• Like 1