North American Pro Soccer 2023

Brian in Boston

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, 4_tattoos said:

At what point will MLS schedule Austin to play on the road at Columbus? Is it possible the league is intentionally preventing that matchup from happening?

Not likely. A lot of inter-conference matchups haven't happened since pre-covid, due to league expansion and the unbalanced schedule. I don't know that there's a set rotation for inter-conference games the way the NFL and MLB have set it up, but similar to those leagues, you might go 6 years without seeing a given team from the other conference in your local stadium.

Plus, MLS lives for content and juicing up rivalries.

Showcasing fan-made sports apparel by artists and designers

3 hours ago, Digby said:

Not likely. A lot of inter-conference matchups haven't happened since pre-covid, due to league expansion and the unbalanced schedule.

FC Cincinnati entered the league in 2019. They have yet to host Austin, Dallas, Seattle and St Louis (They will host Seattle for the first time this upcoming season) and they have yet to travel to Carson, Portland, Kansas City, St Louis and Vancouver (They will travel to St Louis and Vancouver for the first time) FCC last played LA Galaxy and Dallas in 2019. They last played Kansas City and Portland in 2020. Id love to have a schedule where each team once per season at home or road and then opposite the next season. Have the remaining 4 games against rivals.

Signature intentionally left blank

5 hours ago, 4_tattoos said:

At what point will MLS schedule Austin to play on the road at Columbus? Is it possible the league is intentionally preventing that matchup from happening?

Probably. I can see them avoiding as much as possible until Precourt leaves that team. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

21 minutes ago, MJWalker45 said:

Probably. I can see them avoiding as much as possible until Precourt leaves that team. 

Why would he leave? He ultimately got what he wanted in Austin FC and they've become good in a very short time. He's in a good spot with his club despite how anybody feels about the way things played out with his tenure in Columbus. No reason for him to abort ship. Plus he seems like the type that will live well into his mid-nineties just out of spite 🤷🏾‍♂️

He's not going anywhere

Hotter Than July > Thriller

1 hour ago, 4_tattoos said:

Why would he leave? He ultimately got what he wanted in Austin FC and they've become good in a very short time. He's in a good spot with his club despite how anybody feels about the way things played out with his tenure in Columbus. No reason for him to abort ship. Plus he seems like the type that will live well into his mid-nineties just out of spite 🤷🏾‍♂️

He's not going anywhere

I don't see him leaving any time soon. I also don't see MLS ever making Austin play in Columbus if they can get away with it happening. As many games as are played in the league, there's no reason that every team should play each other at least once, but MLS appears to try and avoid potential fire crackers of matchups when they have the ability to avoid them. Unless Precourt suddenly has as many skeletons as Paulson, who still isn't getting kicked out, he'll stay there until he gets bored with having the team.

3 hours ago, Dilbert said:

FC Cincinnati entered the league in 2019. They have yet to host Austin, Dallas, Seattle and St Louis (They will host Seattle for the first time this upcoming season) and they have yet to travel to Carson, Portland, Kansas City, St Louis and Vancouver (They will travel to St Louis and Vancouver for the first time) FCC last played LA Galaxy and Dallas in 2019. They last played Kansas City and Portland in 2020. Id love to have a schedule where each team once per season at home or road and then opposite the next season. Have the remaining 4 games against rivals.

As stated above, with 34 games, there's no reason each team shouldn't be able to play every team in the league. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

Really don’t think there’s some conspiracy here — it’s just the nature of the unbalanced schedule, which is tougher to follow since the unpredictable expansion schemes make it harder to figure out the NFL style rotation of non-local opponents. If they played in ATX in 21 they should probably play in CLB next year? If there’s still nothing by ‘26 then I’ll be suspicious.

MLS has been clear about preferring an unbalanced schedule to reduce travel and focus on building local rivalries, which I think is understandable compared with most other leagues globally.

• Like 1

This made me curious so I'm looking into it -- and, because I had to use somebody as example, why not use the Crew. So their West opponents by year are:

2023 -- host RSL, LAG, COL, away to POR, HOU, DAL

2022 -- host VAN, NSH (who was West only this year), LAFC, POR, away to SJE, SKC, RSL, COL

2021 -- host NSH, SEA, away to ATX. But also played some Eastern Conference teams 3x.

Not bothering with 2020 since MLS was pretty clearly scheduling games on the fly with the hopes that they'd be doable at all. But still, seems like less of a "rotation" than I thought? Seems weird to go three seasons without playing Minnesota United in the league. I bet every other team has one or two like that, though.

New England hasn't played Seattle OR San Jose since 2019, and won't this year either.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GDAWG said:

Cashman Stadium is being used for the XFL, and their season ends right around the time of the NFL Draft.

Didnt realize they were gonna play football in a baseball? soccer? stadium

Signature intentionally left blank

1 hour ago, Dilbert said:

Didnt realize they were gonna play football in a baseball? soccer? stadium

Makes sense since Sam Boyd stadium appears to be unavailable. 

https://www.espn.com/soccer/mexican-liga-bbva-mx/story/4845472/sinaloa-violence-forces-postponement-of-two-matches-in-mexico

Liga MX match called off due to cartel violence. 

• Like 1

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png