North American Pro Soccer 2023

Brian in Boston

2 hours ago, tBBP said:

I got an intelligent question—well maybe:

Just why does MLS start its season in February, anyway? Didn't the MLS Cup just wrap in like October or something like that?

They used to start it later (in the 34 game season era) but that gave us a couple MLS Cup finals in below-zero conditions in December. “MLS ideal calendar” is closely behind “promotion and relegation” in tedious arguments among the extremely-online soccer diehards that will never conclude.

2 hours ago, tBBP said:

(Admittedly I've never known how MLS' seasons work, and I've long since given up on trying to figure out its playoff system 🤷🏿‍♂️)

That’s because they change it every year. Trick question!

• Like 3
  • LOL 2

3 hours ago, Rockstar Matt said:

They're saying this is a generational type of storm in terms of it's severity and rarity. My neighborhood has flash flood warnings for the first time that I can remember. LA as a whole has it's first blizzard warning since the 80's. The mountains near LA are expected to be hit with upwards of 8-10 ft of snow which is basically unheard of here. Pretty good call to reschedule it all things considered. Not only would it be difficult to fill the stadium with fans, even just a few thousand, the field itself would be muddy and unplayable (it could possibly even have a small amount of snow).

For LAFC, it's definitely a bummer not to be able to open our title defending season in what was looking like would be the biggest domestic game in LA soccer history (in terms of fan attendance), but on the flip side it only feels right to play our first game as champions back at the Banc.

last year I went to a Revolution CCL game in a puking snowstorm, it was a bucket list thing to see the high-vis ball and I thought it was a blast. But also there were about 500 people there and the play was, let’s say sloppy, so maybe the culture of playing big soccer games through the snow in the States isn’t quite there in the Boston burbs, let alone LA. Looks like the Portland opener is also postponed due to weather, so the rough luck of an opening weekend in winter gets worse for the league.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Digby said:

They used to start it later (in the 34 game season era) but that gave us a couple MLS Cup finals in below-zero conditions in December. “MLS ideal calendar” is closely behind “promotion and relegation” in tedious arguments among the extremely-online soccer diehards that will never conclude.

Roger all that.

So, the million-dollar question here then: how ij the world does MLS manage to spread just 34 games over the span of nine months???  (Okay, I'll allow for eight, maybe seven months if the postseason is counted in those nine months.) What am I missing that it takes that long to play 34 games plus however many play in the postseason?

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

33 minutes ago, tBBP said:

Roger all that.

So, the million-dollar question here then: how ij the world does MLS manage to spread just 34 games over the span of nine months???  (Okay, I'll allow for eight, maybe seven months if the postseason is counted in those nine months.) What am I missing that it takes that long to play 34 games plus however many play in the postseason?

34/4 is 8.5, so the math checks out.

Also MLS is taking a month off to do the new competition with Liga MX: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/2023_Leagues_Cup

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

7 hours ago, DG_ThenNowForever said:

Also MLS is taking a month off to do the new competition with Liga MX: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/2023_Leagues_Cup

They also have Gold Cup this year so they normally take a week off so they can have MLS players available to all of the national teams involved. 

• Like 1

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

15 minutes ago, MJWalker45 said:

They also have Gold Cup this year so they normally take a week off so they can have MLS players available to all of the national teams involved. 

After looking at the full scope of the MLS season -- plus Open Cup -- it's a miracle that get it all done in 9 months.

It's a lot of soccer!

• Like 1

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

12 hours ago, DG_ThenNowForever said:

I'm sure it does...if I knew what that referred to. Do they only play matches on the weekends or something? (Mind you, I like watching soccer games themselves...I've never known how MLS's schedule, divisions, postseason or any of that works, but I know some of y'all do.)

12 hours ago, DG_ThenNowForever said:

So hold up...am I to understand that MLS basically plays two halves of a season, split by some kind of break in which they play two separate tournaments in the middle of? And then have their own postseason? And they're playing the Gold Cup this year too? (I actually halfway know what that is.)

Guess it's a good thing they don't be talking about load management in soccer!!

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

16 minutes ago, tBBP said:

I'm sure it does...if I knew what that referred to. Do they only play matches on the weekends or something? (Mind you, I like watching soccer games themselves...I've never known how MLS's schedule, divisions, postseason or any of that works, but I know some of y'all do.)

So hold up...am I to understand that MLS basically plays two halves of a season, split by some kind of break in which they play two separate tournaments in the middle of? And then have their own postseason? And they're playing the Gold Cup this year too? (I actually halfway know what that is.)

Guess it's a good thing they don't be talking about load management in soccer!!

Generally speaking, soccer teams play once a week. This can be expanded to two games a week, but never more than that.

• Like 1

5qWs8RS.png

Formerly known as DiePerske

12 minutes ago, tBBP said:

Game days are generally Saturday/Sunday and/or Wednesdays.  So teams will typically play once a week, but may have a Wednesday game as well.

Open Cup happens concurrent to the season, but a lot of teams will use a completely different roster for those games, meaning the first team will play regular season games while the second team will play Open Cup games (vice versa depending on what round they're in in Open Cup).

You get a lot of roster variety in MLS soccer and around the world because of all of the competitions. And many of the top stars do indeed get load managed, though not nearly to the degree of the NBA.

I was super confused when I first started watching MLS, especially since the second Sounders game I ever saw was a Concacaf Champions League game (yet another tournament). Eventually it all makes sense, especially when you consider that there are several ways for a team to define a successful season, whether that's winning Open Cup, CCL (which only one MLS team has -- the Sounders last year), Leagues Cup, Supporters Shield (top points getter) or MLS Cup. They don't all count equally, but they do all count.

I saw this on reddit but basically a team could potentially play up to 61 games during the season. Each team is guaranteed at least 37 games (34 MLS regular season, 1 Open Cup, and 2 Leagues Cup)

2022 2023
MLS Regular Season 34 34
MLS Playoffs 4 6
Open Cup 5 5
CCL 8 9
Leagues Cup 0 7
Total 51 61

• Like 2
  • WOAH 1

Signature intentionally left blank

Watched the FC Cincinnati-Houston match tonight. im impressed with the production from Apple. Only gripes I have about it so far is that the score bug doesnt show how many subs are available and that you can only get either the Apple commentators or the home radio, as Id like to be able to hear my team on the road too. I watched the first half with the Apple commentators and then switched at halftime to the radio commentators.

Signature intentionally left blank

Does the Apple TV deal with MLS also affect highlights? The MLS YouTube has not posted a single highlight from any of the week 1 games yet. Pre apple they would be posted within hours after each game.

Hotter Than July > Thriller

3 hours ago, 4_tattoos said:

Does the Apple TV deal with MLS also affect highlights? The MLS YouTube has not posted a single highlight from any of the week 1 games yet. Pre apple they would be posted within hours after each game.

Fox has posted the highlights from the game between Seattle and Colorado. Nothing from the league though.

• Sad 1

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

1 hour ago, MJWalker45 said:

Fox has posted the highlights from the game between Seattle and Colorado. Nothing from the league though.

All of the highlight videos have been uploaded to the MLS official facebook page. As far as youtube goes, I'm 99.9999% sure this channel is not affiliated with the league, but you can watch highlight videos here for now at least...

https://www.youtube.com/@mlsbraasil/videos

• Like 1

Hotter Than July > Thriller