2023 Lacrosse

Jer15

23 hours ago, 4_tattoos said:
On 11/14/2023 at 2:37 PM, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

Almost as bad is overlooking the Bayhawks.

I'm a homer when it comes to sports. I supported the Bayhawks in MLL because they were the team closest to home, but that name sucked. A ripoff of the Seattle Seahawks branding.

Well, it's true that Bayhawks as a name is inherently kind of cheesy. So is Seahawks! But the name acquired gravitas with all those championships.  And the logo is outstanding.

23 hours ago, 4_tattoos said:

With the Whipsnakes being the PLL's first champion, there was no way they would allow that club to change [its] name.

The Bayhawks were champions six times!  For this league to have the ability to use that historically significant name with only positive associations, yet to choose not to use it in favour of the name of a new team that has won one championship, this is extremely hard to understand.

On 11/14/2023 at 4:20 PM, MJWalker45 said:

The new Atlas logo is a downgrade.

I disagree with that.  The simplified bull is much more attractive than the previous busier version.

The look of the Atlas's logos is pretty good. The roundel is excellent, and the NY that makes use of the bull horns is clever (even if the connection between a bull and the Greek god Atlas is a bit of a mystery).

Atlas-logos.jpg

On the other hand, a singular name is always amateurish.  We had the Orlando Apollos; we could have had the New York Atlases.

Also, it's worth emphasising the foolishness of leaving unused yet another great and beloved identity, that of the Lizards.  And in this case, unlike that of the Bayhawks, it's a great name in its own right, as well as being an identity that acquired tremendous meaning on account of a great history.

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

1 hour ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

Also, it's worth emphasising the foolishness of leaving unused yet another great and beloved identity, that of the Lizards.  And in this case, unlike that of the Bayhawks, it's a great name in its own right, as well as being an identity that acquired tremendous meaning on account of a great history.

We could realistically see the Lizards brand return as the league grows. Atlas represent the entire state of New York as far as I can tell from PLL's hype material. Years from now down the line,  Atlas could settle in Albany while the league brings in a new  Lizards team in Long Island.

Hotter Than July > Thriller

2 minutes ago, 4_tattoos said:

We could realistically see the Lizards brand return as the league grows. Atlas represent the entire state of New York as far as I can tell from PLL's hype material. Years from down the line,  Atlas could settle in Albany while the league brings in a new  Lizards team in Long Island.

I hope that the PLL doesn't try to make "New York" stand for the state, a move not seen since the World Team Tennis team the New York Buzz, which played in varous upstate locales including Albany.

225px-New_York_Buzz_logo.svg.png

Still, I'd love to see the Lizards return.  If the Atlas do settle upstate, and the Lizards come back in the New York City / Long Island area, then I hope the league realises that Albany Atlas is a better name.

5 minutes ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

Egad. Terrible.

I understand though. It's a small league that needs to grow. It can't be in every significant lacrosse market on day one. If they went all in on being a NYC based team lacrosse fans in Albany, Buffalo, Rochester, Syracuse, etc. could start tuning out the PLL. They're all gonna have to share Atlas for now.

Same could be same said for California The NorCal/SoCal rivalry is well know. Flat out settling the Redwoods in LA or The Bay, would effect potential fandom in the unchosen market.

Even the Whipsnakes to an extent. I'm convinced they chose to call this team Maryland instead of Baltimore as not to turn off fans in Montgomery County, MD in particular (richest county in the state, and it borders DC) as well of the other counties of MD that are part of the DC region, that don't tend to identity with anything Baltimore.

The regional team thing is a cop out, but it may be the best way to go about keeping fans in as many markets engaged until the league expands to a point where there's multiple teams in NY and California.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, monkeypower said:

Not that I've watched or followed the PLL at all, Roughnecks and the NLL for me, but I can't see the vision in (seemingly) randomly assigning home cities, when most of the cities aren't cities, to teams after teams have been established for a couple years and then still doing the touring method.

Like how much of a home fanbase can be cultivated when the home team will only play two home games every handful of weeks, if that? How many existing fans are actually going to switch allegiances because their team isn't their home team now? I also know from the NLL that a large portion of players don't actually live in the city the team is based out of and I assume that's even more the case in the PLL, so it's not going to be as easy to have players show up to city or community events to build support/rapport/advertise if they aren't going to be playing in the city.

This was exactly my question...who is this serving? And if the goal is to go to home markets...is that an admission the touring method is failing? Even though it's sort of the central premise?

25 minutes ago, 4_tattoos said:

It's a small league that needs to grow. It can't be in every significant lacrosse market on day one. If they went all in on being a NYC based team lacrosse fans in Albany, Buffalo, Rochester, Syracuse, etc. could start tuning out the PLL. They're all gonna have to share Atlas for now.

Yes, I guess that's a good point, as it pertains not only to New York, but also to California and Maryland.

1 hour ago, 4_tattoos said:

The regional team thing is a cop out, but it may be the best way to go about keeping fans in as many markets engaged until the league expands to a point where there's multiple teams in NY and California.

It's funny you say this because it actually does the opposite for me. I recognize I'm probably in the minority on this, but I feel no particular identification with the region of "Carolina". I do feel slightly more strongly for the state of North Carolina, but I feel very strongly for the city of Charlotte. I know I'm not really the target demo, but home markets do draw me in, especially if Charlotte has a team. I don't care for the "legacy" of the Chaos LC brand, I'd rather have a Charlotte-specific team. The NLL has the PLL beat on this one, at least, to me.

• Like 3

the user formerly known as cdclt

2 hours ago, CDCLT said:

It's funny you say this because it actually does the opposite for me. I recognize I'm probably in the minority on this, but I feel no particular identification with the region of "Carolina". I do feel slightly more strongly for the state of North Carolina, but I feel very strongly for the city of Charlotte. I know I'm not really the target demo, but home markets do draw me in, especially if Charlotte has a team. I don't care for the "legacy" of the Chaos LC brand, I'd rather have a Charlotte-specific team. The NLL has the PLL beat on this one, at least, to me.

I'd tend to agree with you. Some people out there are pretty dumb but I don't know if going with a vague description of Carolina or California or New York is going to fool somebody once they announce the sites where the team is going to play their limited home games.

There is an argument for going broad and try not to alienate any potential fans but you can go too broad and not get anyone to care if you're seemingly too flighty or non-committal. Especially in case like this where, as an outsider, there seems like issues could arise getting people to buy in to a home team.

IbjBaeE.png

On 6/4/2023 at 2:54 PM, 4_tattoos said:

I feel that it would be a safe bet that if any team gets placed in Denver, they would be rebranded as a new Denver Outlaws.

I may have the ability to see into the future lol

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...