2023 Lacrosse

Jer15

18 hours ago, 4_tattoos said:

I could do without the Bayhawks name being revived honestly. I blindly supported it because I'm a homer when it comes to pro sports, but the name always seemed like a Seattle Seahawks ripoff. Especially when you add the colors to the mix.

Chesapeake Bayhawks - Professional Field Lacrosse - Gone Laxing

To be fair, I don't dislike that color combo. I'd be on board with the colors being reused with a new name.

I'll second this.

Out of the current PLL names, Waterdogs would work best with Chesapeake or Maryland.  The Chesapeake Bay Retriever presumably counts as a "water dog", so it sort of fits.

That said, I pretty much hate all of the current PLL names except for Archers and Cannons (and maybe Redwoods if I'm feeling generous). The rest sound like something out of MLS circa 1996.

• Like 1

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

5 hours ago, leopard88 said:

Out of the current PLL names, Waterdogs would work best with Chesapeake or Maryland. 

I hate the Waterdogs name so much. I know it's a real dog breed (which is not reflected in the logo), but I don't care. Out of all the dog breeds/names they could have gone with, they landed on Waterdogs? Seriously? I know they came into the league before the merger with MLL so they probably wanted to avoid anything too close to Hounds, but even something generic like Canines would have been a better dog name IMO.

Hotter Than July > Thriller

6 minutes ago, 4_tattoos said:

I hate the Waterdogs name so much. I know it's a real dog breed (which is not reflected in the logo), but I don't care. Out of all the dog breeds/names they could have gone with, they landed on Waterdogs? Seriously? I know they came into the league before the merger with MLL so they probably wanted to avoid anything too close to Hounds, but even something generic like Canines would have been a better dog name IMO.

since we're on the topic of names, I hope they don't rebrand a lot, or honestly,  any of the teams when they settle them in cities. The original 6 teams have been growing a fan base for 4 years now. 

Side note, some one pointed out that Cade Van Raaphorst had been released by the Atlas and it got me thinking that if a top level defender is getting cut, is it time for the league to consider adding more teams to spread the talent wealth out? 

• Like 1

AmPJ0Ty.png 

4 hours ago, colinturner95 said:

since we're on the topic of names, I hope they don't rebrand a lot, or honestly,  any of the teams when they settle them in cities. The original 6 teams have been growing a fan base for 4 years now.

The only original PLL teams I feel need to rebrand are Chrome and Chaos. There's no reason as to why Chaos couldn't/shouldn't have been named the Scorpions... Chrome may have the best logo in the entire league. Why they chose to pair that logo with a type of metal plating instead of a type of warrior is beyond me.

For some reason I was always okay with the name Atlas. Don't know why.... Whipsnakes, Archers and Redwoods sound like they could be the names of teams that that have existed for over 50 years. In addition to that, those three names are all pretty unique in the world of sports.

I think I misinterpreted what the new shot clock rule was going to be. I thought all possessions would have a 32 second clock. I'm fine with it just being the possession after faceoffs.

American Legion Memorial Stadium in Charlotte looks like a good venue for lacrosse on TV. What was attendance for the Charlotte Hounds like during the MLL days? The venue alone has me convinced Charlotte would be a good location for a team next year. Whether or not fans would support another team there remains to be seen.

57 minutes ago, GDAWG said:

Prediction on where Dallas would play: Choctaw Stadium.  Choctaw Stadium is the home of North Texas SC of MLS Next Pro, the Arlington Renegades of the XFL and the Dallas Jackals of Major League Rugby.   

My first guess for the Dallas area would have been the Ford Center in Frisco, TX due it having an ideal capacity. Then I remembered that the PLL runs at the same time as the early NFL and college fall seasons. That could limit the places they have as venues. Once late July comes the PLL probably would not be allowed to use the Ford Center or TCO Stadium in Minnesota due to NFL training camps. Same can said for the college venues the league has gone to once fall sports camps start in August. 

After today there are no undefeated or winless teams remaining in the league. Waterdogs come from behind win on Friday was wild. I personally enjoy having Friday Night Lacrosse on ESPN's channels, and hope it remains part of their scheduling going forward.

For some odd reason the next set of games will be 3 weeks from today.

On 6/17/2023 at 10:32 PM, 4_tattoos said:

For some odd reason the next set of games will be 3 weeks from today.

And now I know why

https://worldlacrosse.sport/events/2023-world-lacrosse-mens-championship/

Had no idea Lacrosse had any sort of presence outside of North America

SR20230622_19191626.jpg

• Like 2

18 hours ago, 4_tattoos said:

And now I know why

SR20230622_19191626.jpg

I watched a lot of the World Lacrosse Championship in 2018. The rest of the world hasn't really caught up with the United States and Canada but it is fun to see so many nations competing in lacrosse. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, 4_tattoos said:

And now I know why

SR20230622_19191626.jpg

Hong Kong, Israel, Iroquois Nation, Jamaica, Japan, Korea, Mexico, Peru, Philippines, Puerto Rico and Uganda are in this tournament.  Hopefully the PLL and MLL go after the best players from these countries, to help end the perception that Lacrosse in the US is......not diverse and well.....elitist.  

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, GDAWG said:

Hong Kong, Israel, Iroquois Nation, Jamaica, Japan, Korea, Mexico, Peru, Philippines, Puerto Rico and Uganda are in this tournament. 

In fairness the Iroquois Nation can roll with the US and Canada. Feel like several players from that tribe have gone on to play NCAA lacrosse and in the pro leagues.

54 minutes ago, 4_tattoos said:

In fairness the Iroquois Nation can roll with the US and Canada. Feel like several players from that tribe have gone on to play NCAA lacrosse and in the pro leagues.

Still, Lacrosse in the US can be perceived as not diverse and quite elitist even with Iroquois players.  Adding players from Southeast Asia, Africa, Latin America and the Caribbean can change all of that.  If the goal is to get Lacrosse in the Olympics, the sport needs participation from those parts of the world and then you can organize and form youth teams in those parts of the world to get scholarships to NCAA lacrosse.  

So pretty much each non North American team is competing to see who will finish 4th behind what ever order the US, Canada and Iroquois end up finishing? Would that be a fair observation?

5 hours ago, 4_tattoos said:

So pretty much each non North American team is competing to see who will finish 4th behind what ever order the US, Canada and Iroquois end up finishing? Would that be a fair observation?

It's possible. But, there might be a chance for someone else to make a move.

So, after tomorrow's final round of group play, they head into the knockout round. How it works is like this...

-All 5 teams in Pool A (Australia, Canada, England, Iroquis Nation and the United States) are assured the top 5 seeds. The top two in Pool A are given first round byes while the other three teams are seeded 3-5.

-The group winners in the other five groups are given seeds 6-10

-The four best runner up teams are given seeds 11-14

So, as of right now, this would be the knockout round field:

1. United States

2. Iroquis Nation

3. Canada

4. Australia

5. England

6. Japan

7. Italy

8. Ireland

9. Israel

10. Jamaica

11. Puerto Rico

12. Germany

13. France

14. Netherlands

[b]1st Round[/b]

-(8) Israel vs. (9) Ireland [winner get (1) United States]

-(13) France vs. (4) Australia

-(12) Germany vs. (5) England

-(10) Jamaica vs. (7) Italy [winner gets (2) Iroquis Nation]

-(14) Netherlands vs. (3) Canada

-(11) Puerto Rico vs. (6) Japan

16 minutes ago, Seadragon76 said:

All 5 teams in Pool A (Australia, Canada, England, Iroquis Nation and the United States) are assured the top 5 seeds.

Why would they put the US, Canada and Iroquois in the same group? And why does that entire group automatically move on to the knockouts? Maybe it's my fault for assuming it would have a World Cup like random selection for the groups outside of the host nation having the A1 spot.

51 minutes ago, 4_tattoos said:

Why would they put the US, Canada and Iroquois in the same group? And why does that entire group automatically move on to the knockouts? Maybe it's my fault for assuming it would have a World Cup like random selection for the groups outside of the host nation having the A1 spot.

All three were the top three teams in the 2018 event. They got placed in Pool A along with Australia and England (4th and 5th place at the 2018 event respectively) The remaining teams in the Top 10 of the 2018 event (Japan, Israel, Germany, Scotland and Ireland) were placed as the top team in each group and then the 20 remaining qualifying teams were randomly placed in the other five groups.

On 6/24/2023 at 5:40 AM, 4_tattoos said:

And now I know why

SR20230622_19191626.jpg

In Australia it is played in some Primary Schools and High Schools and has a presence in most capital Cities and has a Yearly National Tournament.

Where i am atm they are trying to get a few teams together for a National League of around 6 teams but have had to just meld two teams together to play.

Logano wins BOWL before Chargers.