2023 Lacrosse

Jer15

Missed this earlier this month. The Toronto Rock of Hamilton,  will now play the full upcoming season in Hamilton at First Ontario Centre. The team was originally scheduled to start the season in Hamilton before shifting games to Mississauga for arena renovations.

First Ontario Centre renovations are now being delayed and the Rock will now play all of next season in Mississauga. At this point they either need to just stay in the Toronto area or rebrand to the Ontario Rock

https://www.oursportscentral.com/services/releases/toronto-rock-will-play-upcoming-season-in-hamilton-start-to-finish/n-6013752

Signature intentionally left blank

1 hour ago, Dilbert said:

Missed this earlier this month. The Toronto Rock of Hamilton,  will now play the full upcoming season in Hamilton at First Ontario Centre. The team was originally scheduled to start the season in Hamilton before shifting games to Mississauga for arena renovations.

First Ontario Centre renovations are now being delayed and the Rock will now play all of next season in Mississauga. At this point they either need to just stay in the Toronto area or rebrand to the Ontario Rock

https://www.oursportscentral.com/services/releases/toronto-rock-will-play-upcoming-season-in-hamilton-start-to-finish/n-6013752

Oh interesting. Yeah, they need to change the name.

I wonder what the Bulldogs (OHL junior hockey) think considering they already moved for this season because of the renovations.

IbjBaeE.png

22 hours ago, monkeypower said:

I wonder what the Bulldogs (OHL junior hockey) think considering they already moved for this season because of the renovations.

It's a 3 year deal with a single year extension possible (the move)  but from what I understand they are pretty annoyed now knowing they could have stayed this year. It might hurt the teams chances to ever return. The owner originally wanted to build an arena at a shopping mall up the mountain with his money. He's publicly stated his plan would have been built by now and Brantford has been more than willing to renovate their arena to get the Bulldogs there. It'd be sad if Hamilton lost another hockey team but unsurprising considering the circumstances.

The Cebl's Honey Badgers were so annoyed they moved to Brampton permanently.

This whole thing has been a big screw up by city council who haven't been great at communicating (again. From what I've read). 

I do think the new/renovated stadium and surrounding area will be a big boost for downtown whenever it's finally done. McMaster has been building a nice new building close by. King William Street (east of the mall attached to the arena) is a great area for restaurants, ect. 

But man...the blunders in getting the arena done has hurt all this growth 

GTA United(USA) 2015 + 2016 USA Champions/Toronto Maroons (ULL)2014, 2015 + 2022 Gait Cup Champions/Toronto Northmen (TNFF)

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, 4_tattoos said:

It will be interesting to see if IOC accepts Iroquois Nation as their own separate team under their own flag, their own separate team but under the IOC flag or if they tell the players to disperse themselves among Canada and USA. 

• Like 2

I've lived in Maryland all of my life.  How have I never heard of Sixes?

• Like 1
  • LOL 1

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, monkeypower said:

Are they still doing the roadshow even with having cities? Because if so, I don't know how much cities matter. Would they be able to build up local fanbases?

From what I understand next season will be sort of a hybrid of a traditional city based model and tour based model. Hope that means the schedule predominantly consist of true home/away games. They still need some neutral site games IMO for the sake of exposing other parts of the country to the league. Said it before and said it again, this sports still needs to grow beyond the northeast.

• Like 1

Hotter Than July > Thriller

9 minutes ago, 4_tattoos said:

From what I understand next season will be sort of a hybrid of a traditional city based model and tour based model. Hope that means the schedule predominantly consist of true home/away games. They still need some neutral site games IMO for the sake of exposing other parts of the country to the league. Said it before and said it again, this sports still needs to grow beyond the northeast.

Based on that photo you posted, it looks like the Atlas could be a Texas team based on the logo.  

The NLL is starting NLL UnBOXed, which they are calling "a new grassroots youth participation and fan engagement initiative designed to bring the NLL’s fast-paced lacrosse game play to more young boys and girls in more communities across North America".

The first nine markets in the program are Baltimore, Charlotte, Minneapolis-St. Paul, Montréal, Ottawa, Salt Lake City, Seattle, St. Louis, and Tampa Bay with the goal is to build up to 60 markets by the 2028 Olympics (which I believe includes active NLL markets too). The first phase is an elementary and middle school phys. ed curriculum with a lacrosse equipment endowment program.

They are also creating "teams" for each of the markets, the first released being the Tampa Bay Snowbirds.

NLLUb_Snowbirds_Primary_RGB_4C.svg

• Like 1

IbjBaeE.png

NLL wants to be the next major league......then change the name of Panther City.  I think that name for their lone Texas teams sets them back from being an actual major league.  I don't know what attendance is like compared to the NHL.  

The program though is a good idea because it helps the perception of the sport as being for everyone.  I applaud the major players in US Lacrosse in trying to change the perception that the sport is "elitist" and for a certain demographic.  

2 hours ago, GDAWG said:

NLL wants to be the next major league......then change the name of Panther City.  I think that name for their lone Texas teams sets them back from being an actual major league.  I don't know what attendance is like compared to the NHL.  

Here are last year's NLL numbers.

nDgqSAt.png

Looking at this, and based on some scuttlebutt (including their schedule dates for this upcoming season), we might not have to worry about the Panther City name much longer.

IbjBaeE.png

3 minutes ago, monkeypower said:

Here are last year's NLL numbers.

nDgqSAt.png

Looking at this, and based on some scuttlebutt (including their schedule dates for this upcoming season), we might not have to worry about the Panther City name much longer.

The arena where Panther City plays (Dickie's Arena) seats at least 12,000, so that is not a good sign.  The Dallas Wings of the WNBA have 1,000 more people than Panther City, and their arena only seats 7,000.

2 hours ago, GDAWG said:

The arena where Panther City plays (Dickie's Arena) seats at least 12,000, so that is not a good sign.  The Dallas Wings of the WNBA have 1,000 more people than Panther City, and their arena only seats 7,000.

This upcoming season is also the last on the current lease for Panther City.

The Wings owner also owns Panther City FWIW.

IbjBaeE.png

Just now, monkeypower said:

This upcoming season is also the last on the current lease for Panther City.

The Wings owner also owns Panther City FWIW.

It also doesn't help that Panther City FC gets no coverage locally.  The Wings get some coverage, but I do wonder how much coverage they (and FC Dallas) would get if they won championships.  The Rangers got a ton of coverage when they won the World Series (which will be one week ago tomorrow night).