Boston Cannons 

California Redwoods

Carolina Chaos

Denver Outlaws 

Maryland Whipsnakes 

New York Atlas

Philadelphia Waterdogs

Utah Archers 

If the league now has access to the old MLL names, then it's baffling why the New York Lizards' name and excellent logo were not revived.

New_York_Lizards_logo.png

Almost as bad is overlooking the Bayhawks.

Chesapeake_Bayhawks_logo.png

These names are synonymous with pro lacrosse, having had a Yankees / Red Sox - style rivalry in the MLL.

Those complaints aside, I am pleased to see the return of a nice old UFL name, the California Redwoods.

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

Idk man, this is the PLL. They've spent 5 years building a brand that fits their identity as a league. Moving teams into markets only to wipe their identity seems counter productive. 

Hell, the move should've been expanding to 10 and putting the Bayhawks and Lizards back, but you can't really be a pro lacrosse league without those two markets.

• Like 2

I'm an extremely casual lacrosse fan but...what are they going for here? It seems like the idea is to eventually become a more conventional league, was the touring model not working? A genuine question- my following of the sport is watching stray TSN NLL games for the most part, but I'm somewhat interested in learning more. I thought the touring model was really intriguing, and this seems to satisfy absolutely nobody- if you've invested yourself in the Whipsnakes but aren't from Baltimore, you're just out of luck? And will two games in your home market a year really do enough to justify the home-ness, if the idea is NOT to sacrifice the touring model forever?

I thought the PLL would've put 3 teams in the northeast (Boston, New York and somewhere between Philly and DC). Four northeast teams was a surprise. It appears they have most of the major northeast hotbeds of LAX covered.

I figured if any southeast location were to come into the league it would be Charlotte. It's very northeast-ish. I assumed the Carolina Chaos covers that. (Are the scorpions in the Carolinas? lol)

Redwoods to California was a no brainer.

Surprised to see both Denver and Salt Lake City get a team. Figured one would be part of the initial 8 cities then the other would come years later in expansion.

I guess no teams in the middle part of the country was a surprise. Figured Texas and Minnesota impressed the league enough the last couple of tours to get one of the eight spots.

I'll give my thoughts on the new logos in the appropriate thread for that. 

Hotter Than July > Thriller

2 hours ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

Almost as bad is overlooking the Bayhawks.

I'm a homer when it comes to sports. I supported the Bayhawks in MLL because they were the team closest to home, but that name sucked. A ripoff of the Seattle Seahawks branding.

With the Whipsnakes being the PLL's first champion, there was no way they would allow that club to change it's name. Plus with it's heavy link to the University of Maryland there was pretty much only 3 places they'd realistically place them. Annapolis, Baltimore or DC. Whipsnakes to Maryland was inevitable.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, RyanMcD29 said:

This was kinda discussed in the logo thread, but having a de facto Maryland alumni team play their home games at Homewood would be so sacrilegious that it would be absolutely hilarious and I fully expect that to be the case

They'll probably play in Annapolis. The team wasn't named Baltimore for a reason. They don't want to distance themselves from fans in the DC metro counties of Maryland. The Bayhawks ultimately settled in Annapolis after several attempts in the DC and Baltimore areas (including Homewood).

Having no team in any part of Texas (Dallas, Houston, Austin, San Antonio) is a bold move.  I think eventually they will have to go to the Lone Star State.   All of the other niche sports leagues (WNBA, NWSL, NLL, XFL/USFL, MLR, USL) all have at least one team in Texas.  

10 hours ago, GDAWG said:

Having no team in any part of Texas (Dallas, Houston, Austin, San Antonio) is a bold move.  I think eventually they will have to go to the Lone Star State.   All of the other niche sports leagues (WNBA, NWSL, NLL, XFL/USFL, MLR, USL) all have at least one team in Texas.  

Unless they try a team at the Star in Frisco again, I don't know where else they'd try a get a team in Texas. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

25 minutes ago, MJWalker45 said:

Unless they try a team at the Star in Frisco again, I don't know where else they'd try a get a team in Texas. 

If we're extrapolating out a few years, would be shocked if the first two expansion territories aren't the Star and the Vikings facility that they played at a bunch.

Also, apparently, they're still doing a touring model next season, just in the markets picked - but the teams will lean into home cities and act as the home team when they come to town.

• Like 1

Not that I've watched or followed the PLL at all, Roughnecks and the NLL for me, but I can't see the vision in (seemingly) randomly assigning home cities, when most of the cities aren't cities, to teams after teams have been established for a couple years and then still doing the touring method.

Like how much of a home fanbase can be cultivated when the home team will only play two home games every handful of weeks, if that? How many existing fans are actually going to switch allegiances because their team isn't their home team now? I also know from the NLL that a large portion of players don't actually live in the city the team is based out of and I assume that's even more the case in the PLL, so it's not going to be as easy to have players show up to city or community events to build support/rapport/advertise if they aren't going to be playing in the city.

• Like 1

IbjBaeE.png

4 hours ago, raysox said:

Also, apparently, they're still doing a touring model next season, just in the markets picked

Have a feeling placing teams in cities was rushed to next season, and the PLL may have already had some tour sites reserved for 2024.