2023 Lacrosse

Jer15

3 hours ago, 4_tattoos said:

https://malonepioneers.com/sports/mens-lacrosse

Malone University has started their first year of men's lacrosse this season. They've been doing pretty good for their first year.

• Like 1

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Exactly how many D1 men's lacrosse programs are there in the western states? Are they at a point where they could form their own lacrosse only conference? It's weird as hell seeing teams from the Rocky Mountains in east coast conferences. What's the magic number of programs needed for a western lacrosse conference to be doable?

Hotter Than July > Thriller

5 hours ago, 4_tattoos said:

Exactly how many D1 men's lacrosse programs are there in the western states? Are they at a point where they could form their own lacrosse only conference? It's weird as hell seeing teams from the Rocky Mountains in east coast conferences. What's the magic number of programs needed for a western lacrosse conference to be doable?

To the best of my knowledge, there are only four schools west of the Mississippi River that play host to NCAA D1 men's lacrosse programs: Lindenwood University, the United States Air Force Academy, the University of Denver, and the University of Utah.

As for the number of member institutions necessary to launch a western D1 lacrosse conference sanctioned by the NCAA, I'm at a loss. I don't know of the existence of any lacrosse-only conferences operating at the NCAA D1 and D2 levels. That said, the Midwest Lacrosse Conference (6 members) and the Coastal Lacrosse Conference (6 members) both operate as D3, NCAA-sanctioned, lacrosse-only circuits.  

I assume it's six teams, like any other sport.

Anyhow, the brackets were released for both men and women's DI lacrosse. I'll start with the men's bracket.

Men's Bracket

Play-In Game

Marist at Delaware

1st Round

Marist/Delaware winner at (1) Duke

Michigan at (8) Cornell

Princeton at (5) Penn State

Army at (4) Maryland

Richmond at (2) Virginia

Yale at (7) Georgetown

Bryant at (6) Johns Hopkins

Utah at (3) Notre Dame

Women's Bracket

1st Round

Central Michigan at Michigan [winner at (1) Northwestern]

Penn State at Stony Brook

Fairfield at (8) Loyola (Maryland)

Southern California at (5) Denver

Albany at Virginia

Marquette at Richmond

Sacred Heart at (4) North Carolina

Massachusetts at Johns Hopkins [winner at (2) Syracuse]

Army at (7) James Madison

Drexel at Maryland

Jacksonville at (6) Florida

Mercer at Notre Dame

Penn at UConn [winner at (3) Boston College]

Holy :censored: Buffalo.

The Bandits destroyed Rochester 20-8. 

From what I've found, the last time any team had scored 20+ goals in any playoff game was back on May 21, 2016....and guess who it was? Buffalo. 

Looking forward to the East final. Buffalo - Toronto. 

• Like 3

GTA United(USA) 2015 + 2016 USA Champions/Toronto Maroons (ULL)2014, 2015 + 2022 Gait Cup Champions/Toronto Northmen (TNFF)

On 5/8/2023 at 8:21 AM, Seadragon76 said:

I assume it's six teams, like any other sport.

You assume correctly.  That's why the ACC doesn't get an automatic bid with only five teams. . .  and why the B1G added Johns Hopkins as an associate member to make sure it had enough teams to get one.

• Like 2
  • WOAH 1

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

After Virginia and Notre Dame got some ho hum wins, things really went off the rails in the evening slate. Yale-Georgetown was absolutely hammered drunk with the defense and goaltending on both sides being non-existent as the Hoyas survive and advance, and then Army pulls off a huge upset over Maryland in the nightcap despite turning the ball over left and right. This bracket was set up for carnage, but was not expecting the Terps to be first round victims given how they usually avoid all that under Tillman.

• Like 2

ffMc5dZ.png

Twitter: @RyanMcD29

On 5/8/2023 at 10:00 AM, Jer15 said:

Looking forward to the East final. Buffalo - Toronto. 

I was let down. 

Toronto did not show up at all. Buffalo should be the clear favorite in the final but this isn't the first time in the last 3 years that will be the case. 
Funny enough, they're guaranteed to play one of the 2 teams they played (and lost to) in the past 2 years. 

• Like 3

GTA United(USA) 2015 + 2016 USA Champions/Toronto Maroons (ULL)2014, 2015 + 2022 Gait Cup Champions/Toronto Northmen (TNFF)

What's the deal with the 2 week long gap between the Columbus and Minnesota dates? Plus an off week between the semifinals and championship? Not to mention an unnecessary all-star weekend.

PLL could realistically complete it's season 4 weeks earlier than it's schedule to. I feel they need to do everything possible to avoid scheduling against the two behemoths that are college football and the NFL in late August/early September.

16 hours ago, 4_tattoos said:

What's the deal with the 2 week long gap between the Columbus and Minnesota dates? Plus an off week between the semifinals and championship? Not to mention an unnecessary all-star weekend.

PLL could realistically complete it's season 4 weeks earlier than it's schedule to. I feel they need to do everything possible to avoid scheduling against the two behemoths that are college football and the NFL in late August/early September.

Are there any international lacrosse tournaments this summer? Possibly that or wanting to save money by not traveling prior to 4th of July week? 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

On 5/13/2023 at 10:14 PM, RyanMcD29 said:

After Virginia and Notre Dame got some ho hum wins, things really went off the rails in the evening slate. Yale-Georgetown was absolutely hammered drunk with the defense and goaltending on both sides being non-existent as the Hoyas survive and advance, and then Army pulls off a huge upset over Maryland in the nightcap despite turning the ball over left and right. This bracket was set up for carnage, but was not expecting the Terps to be first round victims given how they usually avoid all that under Tillman.

Maryland was good this year, but not great . . . and definitely inconsistent.  They just lost too many offensive weapons from last year.  The Army matchup scared me as soon as it was announced . . . and now I'm at least glad and I didn't visit my son in College Park and sit through it (which my wife really wanted to do until the weather forecast stayed rainy).

I was also disappointed that Delaware couldn't hang on against Duke . . . first, because upsets are fun and second because I went to high school with the parents of one of their defensive middies (and my son went to elementary school with him).

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

Buffalo v Colorado set for the NLL Final again this year. best of 3. Interesting dates though.

Saturday 27th, Monday the 29th and, if needed, June 3rd. 

Buffalo is 0/2 over the past 2 NLL finals (2019/2022) I kind of hope, despite being a fan of the Rock, this is the one that Buffalo finally gets. 

I'm surprised to see that the NCAA D1 women's finals are being held at the soccer complex in Cary, NC. I was under the impression they had a hard stance against other sports being played there.