College Football 2023

Rixaroo

4 hours ago, j'villejags said:

I'll be honest -- the state flag was subtle enough for me that I did not even know it was there. Looking at old pics and I kinda like it.

Looks like they are adding it back though on the side of the jersey though? Seems like an odd placement but I'll withhold judgement for now.

Matches earlier leaks
Untitled-1.png
Nebraska To Celebrate 100th Anniversary Of Memorial Stadium With Throwback Uniforms – SportsLogos.Net News

The old state flag treatment was much better.

• Like 7

30 minutes ago, dont care said:

That seems to be the template for adidas this year putting the flag on the side, nc state has the same treatment

12 minutes ago, Rygi13 said:

Interesting-- thanks! I haven't been paying enough attention.

I don't like it for NC State either. It'll be one of those head scratching design choices we look back and laugh at in 20 years.

• Like 1

My NFL concept series (in progress) --ATL, CLE, NE, WAS done. AZ updated 04/21/23.

16 minutes ago, Rygi13 said:

Yo what is up with that 8 in NC State's number font???

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

Mississippi State made a mistake dropping the block M/State logo. It was easily identifiable. The gray separated them from several other teams. I never liked the chest wordmark but it was their thing. The script helmet is too generic. I feel like one or two of these changes could have worked, but making all of these changes at once is too much.

———

A couple template updates:

Tennessee: hopefully the Vols will relocate the SEC patch to its rightful spot opposite the swoosh. The last couple years, it was above the swoosh due to two other patches in 2020. When they removed the extra patches in 2021, they never placed the conference patch back in its usual location.

LSU: LSU opted for the flat chest seam instead of the deep V. That may be the default cut if shoulder stripes are used. I feel LSU would look better without the contrasting cuffs. They should also match their pants stripes to their helmet stripes (the pants have thin subtle yellow stripes between the purple and white).

spacer.png

Another Ohio State gray alternate teaser:

9 hours ago, aawagner011 said:

Mississippi State made a mistake dropping the block M/State logo. It was easily identifiable. The gray separated them from several other teams. I never liked the chest wordmark but it was their thing. The script helmet is too generic. I feel like one or two of these changes could have worked, but making all of these changes at once is too much.

———

A couple template updates:

Tennessee: hopefully the Vols will relocate the SEC patch to its rightful spot opposite the swoosh. The last couple years, it was above the swoosh due to two other patches in 2020. When they removed the extra patches in 2021, they never placed the conference patch back in its usual location.

LSU: LSU opted for the flat chest seam instead of the deep V. That may be the default cut if shoulder stripes are used. I feel LSU would look better without the contrasting cuffs. They should also match their pants stripes to their helmet stripes (the pants have thin subtle yellow stripes between the purple and white).

spacer.png

Another Ohio State gray alternate teaser:

If it's that wolf grey they wore vs Penn State it's a bad look. If they reverse the grey and red from the home jerseys or use a throwback design I think it could look decent. Not great though, because all grey isn't the best possible look for anyone.  Especially if Michigan State decides to go all white like Penn State does. 

Ohio State Football alternate uniforms: Ranking the five best all-time

Football – The Ohio State Uniform Database

Michigan State Spartans football uniforms Purdue Boilermakers Mel Tucker -  Sports Illustrated Michigan State Spartans News, Analysis and More

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

On 7/19/2023 at 9:33 AM, Lights Out said:

Another Adidas downgrade. Although really, they should have never ditched these.

spacer.png

The early-2010s Adidas uniforms inevitably look like crap due to the super-stretchy material they used. It looks like this player has saggy breasts and a backpack. It's tough to focus on the design elements of the jersey when the player silhouette is this bad. 

oh ,my god ,i strong recommend you to have a visit on the website ,or if i'm the president ,i would have an barceque with the anthor of the articel .

1 hour ago, TGroce said:

edit: I thought Instagram links automatically embedded, apologies

Sometimes it does, I have problems with it embedding from my phone though. but not so much from the desktop.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

21 hours ago, whitedawg22 said:

The early-2010s Adidas uniforms inevitably look like crap due to the super-stretchy material they used. It looks like this player has saggy breasts and a backpack. It's tough to focus on the design elements of the jersey when the player silhouette is this bad. 

I've been hating the super-stretchy material since the day Adidas first introduced it. It hasn't gotten any better in the past decade. I just liked the ribbon stripes as an element that was uniquely theirs. Much like NC State, Mississippi State's uniforms have been pretty dull and uninspiring outside of that one shortlived era no matter who the manufacturer is.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

1 minute ago, cajunaggie08 said:

huh, i wonder if Adidas "owns" the font since it was a Reebok creation

I think Nike offers a similar version as well ,not just for the Texans, so it may not have been copyrighted properly.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

40 minutes ago, cajunaggie08 said:

huh, i wonder if Adidas "owns" the font since it was a Reebok creation

37 minutes ago, MJWalker45 said:

I think Nike offers a similar version as well ,not just for the Texans, so it may not have been copyrighted properly.

This has piqued my interest, so I took a look at the Adidas Catalog. Looks like it is the "Western" typeface.

When you see how few stock options there are, it makes sense why all these uniforms get so repetitive. I wonder why more schools don't use their own custom typefaces.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, jerrylawless3 said:

This has piqued my interest, so I took a look at the Adidas Catalog. Looks like it is the "Western" typeface.

When you see how few stock options there are, it makes sense why all these uniforms get so repetitive. I wonder why more schools don't use their own custom typefaces.

A lot of them will say "tradition". Ohio State is one of them, because only football doesn't use the font that gets used by every other sports team at the school. Others make a slight change, like USC and Oklahoma, and apply it to the whole school. Others like Kansas are going back to block numbers because trying to have all sports teams in Trajan just doesn't work for football. For non Power 5 schools, I think it's not happening because UA, Nike and adidas don't see the benefit in doing the work for it. that's why you'll see most of the MAC wearing some version of the same templates. At one time Toledo and Bowling Green were wearing the same uniform, just in different colors.  Ohio State Football: Ranking the Toughest Games on the Buckeyes' Schedule -  AthlonSports.com | Expert Predictions, Picks, and Previews

Ohio State 2020-21 Big Ten men's basketball schedule announced

Ohio State baseball is streaking, defeating Dayton to win seventh game in a  row

OU baseball: Carmichael leads Sooners to bounce-back win over Oklahoma  State | Sports | normantranscript.com

3 reasons why Sooners football will be better in 2023

San Diego State Football: First Look at the Toledo Rockets

Minnesota Football: RoWINg to Bowling Green - Opponent Preview - The Daily  Gopher

• Like 1

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

30 minutes ago, MJWalker45 said:

A lot of them will say "tradition". Ohio State is one of them, because only football doesn't use the font that gets used by every other sports team at the school. Others make a slight change, like USC and Oklahoma, and apply it to the whole school. Others like Kansas are going back to block numbers because trying to have all sports teams in Trajan just doesn't work for football. For non Power 5 schools, I think it's not happening because UA, Nike and adidas don't see the benefit in doing the work for it. that's why you'll see most of the MAC wearing some version of the same templates. At one time Toledo and Bowling Green were wearing the same uniform, just in different colors. 

Ohio State 2020-21 Big Ten men's basketball schedule announced

Ohio State baseball is streaking, defeating Dayton to win seventh game in a  row

Those are pretty clearly different sets of numbers, though.

(I'm not trying to be a jerk, but I do think the discussion is more nuanced than that. It has a lot to do with money, how it's spent on various sports at these schools, and how that does or doesn't mix with tradition moreso than strictly being related to tradition.)

38 minutes ago, Ted Cunningham said:

I'm not trying to be a jerk, but I do think the discussion is more nuanced than that. It has a lot to do with money, how it's spent on various sports at these schools, and how that does or doesn't mix with tradition moreso than strictly being related to tradition.

I think for some of the smaller schools without the tradition, it comes down to being cheap and lazy – or maybe not staying up to date with their brand standards or having a solid custom typeface.

I was at Austin Peay while their new brand was still sort of fresh and new, and they took a lot of care into making sure everything aligned with the brand standards. All uses of logos and branding had to go through the Assistant AD of Communication and Brand Advancement for approval – not even just to ensure it was the right logo/colors, but to make sure it was appropriate for the placement. Some assets couldn't be placed on apparel that would be prominently displayed on broadcast, and some could only be used on one uniform set, for example. Unless it was a throwback design, nearly all sports had the custom typeface on uniforms and practice gear. Some teams, mainly football and basketball, would go a little rogue, but overall it helped create a fairly cohesive look across the department.

• Like 4