College Football 2023

Rixaroo

2 hours ago, wentvoltage123 said:

I think they consider Orange & Grey as their main colors for some reason.

Because orange and gray are their official school colors.

https://www.utrgv.edu/umc/creative-services/graphic-identity-guidelines/utrgv-color-palette/index.htm

I know UTRGV and UT Brownsville merged recently, and UT Brownsville is orange and navy, so that might be why UTRGV uses navy as well.

14 minutes ago, TBGKon said:

Because orange and gray are their official school colors.

https://www.utrgv.edu/umc/creative-services/graphic-identity-guidelines/utrgv-color-palette/index.htm

I know UTRGV and UT Brownsville merged recently, and UT Brownsville is orange and navy, so that might be why UTRGV uses navy as well.

Close. UTRGV is the result of the merger between UT Brownsville and UT Pan American and UTPA's colors were orange and green so thats why green and navy are still shoehorned in for a school that is officially orange and grey

• Like 2

8 hours ago, upperV03 said:

Update on this: it’s a go. I don’t have confirmation of what year they’re throwing back to, but I’m fully expecting it to be 1994 again. I also don’t know what game they’ll be worn, but looking at the schedule I’m guessing it’ll either be Oct. 21st vs. Wazzu or Nov. 4th vs. Cal.

I feel like 1994 is just too beautiful NOT to throwback to again, HOWEVER, I'd really love to see something even more classic.....

spacer.png spacer.png

• Like 3

1 hour ago, BigDmo said:

I feel like 1994 is just too beautiful NOT to throwback to again, HOWEVER, I'd really love to see something even more classic.....

spacer.png spacer.png

Oh yeah, I’d absolutely love to see those. Actually pretty surprised they haven’t done that yet. This year’s throwbacks won’t be those, though, since the pants that were spotted on a recruit don’t have stripes:

spacer.png

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

20 hours ago, JustABallCoach said:

You might not like the looks, but this is just not true. NC State is one of the premier Adidas schools and has had access others do not. 

NC State's uniforms have historically been so boring regardless of manufacturer. At some point, it has to be the athletic department's fault for wanting to look bland.

That's why I always defended the outgoing uniforms with the different take on Northwestern stripes (even the slashes never bothered me). It's the only time ever, or at least in recent memory, that a neutral fan could turn on a game and know right away that NC State was playing. The new look returns to the historical norm of making them blend into the background. Not exactly an ideal branding move for a perennial .500ish program with no major accomplishments.

• Like 1

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

Adidas gets a really bad rep here for their worst stuff, but they haven't made a bad primary look for a school since arguably UCLA in 2015? USF 2015? I argue that Texas A&M, Washington, Rutgers, NC State (I love the shoulder stripes and the new set), Louisville, USF (starting 2018), Miami, Georgia Tech, Mississippi State, Nebraska, and in the last few years BC, Kansas, and UTEP look as good, if not better, than they ever have. The alternates can get kinda quirky, sure, but for every "The 'Ville" set, there's 5 throwback sets that are lovingly researched (2018 Miami, 1939 and 1956 Texas A&M, 1990 UW, anything Mississippi State, anything Nebraska, 1950's Louisville) or a Mississippi State Statesmen/GT Black Watch sets that show a deep appreciation for their source material.

Their templates have been really strong since 2019 (the WVN A1 was released in 2019 and they fixed the collar on the primeknit), and their new top-end template, the A1 Ghost, looks to be their answer to the Vapor Untouchable. Their templated offerings with the primeknit left a lot to be desired with the weird half stripes, but if UTEP, Arkansas State's 2022 white uniform, and LA Tech's powders are anything to go by, most schools seem to be switching to the WVN that gives them as many templated sleeve offerings that go all the way across the caps, as well as UCLA stripes.

Put some respect on their name, Adidas does almost all FBS schools right and will accommodate for CD's designs as well (UTSA's Christopher Muñoz designed their current set). At this point, their hit rate is arguably higher than Nike's, and any proprietary numerals (2012 or 2020 A&M, UW, Louisville, GT [although I think these were designed by someone externally], NC State, Nebraska, Indiana, USF) go toe to toe with anything Nike has pumped out in the last half decade. 

• Like 4

First look at Cincinnati's new uniforms? I hope these are just a placeholder for media day, because these look extremely cheap. They do have a weird apparel deal with BSN Sports who sells uniforms to high schools.NRdc6iU.jpg

They appear to be on this template with the mesh side panels.
zp3NZME.png

Sidenote: I love Houston's "hidden" shoulder stripes. I've never noticed them before but its a nice subtle touch to their uniforms that makes them feel even more premium!

10 minutes ago, Htown1141 said:

Adidas gets a really bad rep here for their worst stuff, but they haven't made a bad primary look for a school since arguably UCLA in 2015? USF 2015? I argue that Texas A&M, Washington, Rutgers, NC State (I love the shoulder stripes and the new set), Louisville, USF (starting 2018), Miami, Georgia Tech, Mississippi State, Nebraska, and in the last few years BC, Kansas, and UTEP look as good, if not better, than they ever have. The alternates can get kinda quirky, sure, but for every "The 'Ville" set, there's 5 throwback sets that are lovingly researched (2018 Miami, 1939 and 1956 Texas A&M, 1990 UW, anything Mississippi State, anything Nebraska, 1950's Louisville) or a Mississippi State Statesmen/GT Black Watch sets that show a deep appreciation for their source material.

Their templates have been really strong since 2019 (the WVN A1 was released in 2019 and they fixed the collar on the primeknit), and their new top-end template, the A1 Ghost, looks to be their answer to the Vapor Untouchable. Their templated offerings with the primeknit left a lot to be desired with the weird half stripes, but if UTEP, Arkansas State's 2022 white uniform, and LA Tech's powders are anything to go by, most schools seem to be switching to the WVN that gives them as many templated sleeve offerings that go all the way across the caps, as well as UCLA stripes.

Put some respect on their name, Adidas does almost all FBS schools right and will accommodate for CD's designs as well (UTSA's Christopher Muñoz designed their current set). At this point, their hit rate is arguably higher than Nike's, and any proprietary numerals (2012 or 2020 A&M, UW, Louisville, GT [although I think these were designed by someone externally], NC State, Nebraska, Indiana, USF) go toe to toe with anything Nike has pumped out in the last half decade. 

Indiana's new primary look is awful, but other than that I agree with you.
JkSZAac.jpg

• Facepalm 1

9 minutes ago, Htown1141 said:

N.C. State looked pretty bad in these. They actually improved just by getting rid of the collar design.NC State football spring practice: Devin Leary, vets shine | Raleigh News &  Observer

Louisville would have been okay if they didn't due that weird thing with the numbers. 

Louisville Football Position Preview: Tight Ends - Card Chronicle

The way they treated their non top-tiers was pretty bad too. Stripes that didn't cover the whole sleeve, clipart designs that didn't do that either, it was just a mess.

EMU Football Names 2016 Team Captains - Eastern Michigan University  Athletics

College Football America Game 7 Photo Gallery: Bowling Green at Western  Kentucky | Postins' Postcards: A Life On the Sports Road

Bowling Green-Ohio: Five things to know about the Falcons' Week 4 opponent  | The Blade

UTSA hopes for more big plays by Taylor

6 minutes ago, Rygi13 said:

First look at Cincinnati's new uniforms? I hope these are just a placeholder for media day, because these look extremely cheap. They do have a weird apparel deal with BSN Sports who sells uniforms to high schools.NRdc6iU.jpg

That Cincy jersey is probably what they'll go with. Short notice design and it is similar to the designs they had when they were with Nike before.

13 Gino Guidugli Stock Photos, High-Res Pictures, and Images - Getty Images

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

I really liked both the claw scratches Adidas gave them and the Nippert Stripe UA gave them I liked even more. 

The bar has been set high for Nike, and it looks like they’re gonna flop clear under it. 

• Like 1

i have unquantifiable corpses on my conscience 

54 minutes ago, MJWalker45 said:

N.C. State looked pretty bad in these. They actually improved just by getting rid of the collar design.

I happen to like the shoulder stripes, but def to each their own there. The base design of the numbers and wordmark are pretty solid, and I don't think any of their helmet offerings made the stripes look out of place. They drew attention, sure, but the rest of the uniform didn't look nearly as busy and gave breathing room to a pretty busy visual element.

56 minutes ago, MJWalker45 said:

Louisville would have been okay if they didn't due that weird thing with the numbers. 

I think we're probably just in disagreement about particular aesthetics, but I think Louisville's numbers are fantastic. the 2021 reintroduction of the drop shadow also helps tie together multiple eras of UL's football, and the slanted TV numbers were strange, sure, but they accentuated a unique sleeve design and fit the direction of the uniform (quite literally).

59 minutes ago, MJWalker45 said:

The way they treated their non top-tiers was pretty bad too. Stripes that didn't cover the whole sleeve, clipart designs that didn't do that either, it was just a mess.

The EMU and Bowling Green sets are from 2013, which admittedly aren't great. That's why I put the cut-off around 2015, when things started trending upward. I outlined also that the half stripes also irked me just as much as anyone else, but the WVN template should fix that for most schools. And it's not like those designs are particularly appalling, it's just that I'd assume the template didn't allow them to print all the way across (if you look at teams who did use the primeknit and had full sleeves, like UW and Miami, they had stripe insert panels on their sleeves). I was just trying to say that recently, Adidas has done right by their schools with very few misses, and hopefully the switch to the WVN as a more affordable option should let schools like Ohio, LA Tech, Northern Illinois and Southern Miss get their stripes back (Wyoming also wears the WVN template, and their stripes are all the way across).